Broken Variator Fan

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slasher1

Broken Variator Fan

Post by slasher1 »

I recently removed my exhaust restriction from my 2014 Roughhouse. I love how it rides so I figured I'd go all the way and try to get the variator restriction off. I tried using a strap wrench and ratchet and the ratchet slipped and I broke a piece of one of the fins. What will happen if i try to run/ride this?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Welcome to the Roughhouse crowd. I feel your concern as the same thing happened to me the first time I tried to take off my variator.
Running it with a missing fin will cause an imbalance on the variator which can/may be felt as a vibration, this could also cause the rollers to wear prematurely, as well as the belt.
If you kept the broken piece you can use a gel super glue to repair it. I did and its still holding after 4 years of riding. Just make sure you clean the area with alcohol before using this method. And let it sit for 24 hrs. before attempting to ride. If this does not appeal to you the link I supplied should get you back on the road again. Look for GY6-50 or QMB139 parts. NCY, Malossi and Pinasco make decent replacement parts.

Variator
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
slasher1

Post by slasher1 »

Thanks Agrogod. Did you end up using an impact wrench when you removed the variator fan?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Yes!
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
laze1

Post by laze1 »

What is the "factory" method to hold the assembly still while removing the nuts?

The service manual doesn't list a special tool fr this (that I can find)

Thnx!
slasher1

A good vid for derestricting.

Post by slasher1 »

http://vimeo.com/user470878

I am under the impression the impact driver requires no holding of the assembly. However, I have heard others using a strap wrench and also a wrench large enough to contact opposite sides of the variator fan. I broke my original variator fan trying to use a strap wrench and was unable to generate enough force to remove the nut. I recommend finding someone with an impact driver or rent one. Good luck.
nysheepy

Post by nysheepy »

I had to go with your last advice. Borrow someone's impact driver.
Thought I could leverage a metal rod on the fan to the floor and drill/drive the variator nut off. But couldnt get it off. Was afraid to break the fan as well.

Changed to 6.5g Dr Pulley sliders on the RH50 after much research here on Modern Buddy.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

There is no reason on earth why a properly used cheap HF strap wrench & cheap HF impact driver couldn't remove that nut.
dillon

Post by dillon »

First time I swapped out weights on my wifes Buddy, I busted a fin off the fan. The last few times I have been in there trying to dial in the weight I have used a pry par (large screw driver might work too) on the starter gear behind the variator assembly.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Air gun and the nut comes RIGHT OFF. I wouldn't do it ANY other way.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
slasher1

Post by slasher1 »

I purchased an impact driver and still cannot get the bolt off my variator. What am I doing wrong?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

slasher1 wrote:I purchased an impact driver and still cannot get the bolt off my variator. What am I doing wrong?
Can you post a link to what you bought? Just to be sure, you have it on Reverse?

I bought this with the 20% off coupon, and it is real convenient. Don't use it on the 12V outlet, or you will blow the fuse: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-1- ... 92349.html

Be sure to take a sharpie and put a line across the crankshaft and nut. When you re-install use a dab of blue loctite and go slightly past the mark.
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

I broke a fin off while screwing around the other night. So I just broke the fin opposite of it off to "balance" it (not perfect but way better than a single missing fin) and then smoothed out the jagged metal with a grinder.

I personally have used an impact, but the other night I didn't have access so I built a piston stop from the largest bolt I could find that fit in the spark plug hole a socket and small extension to butt up against the frame. Worked for me YMMV

I also bought today a m14x1.25 oil pan drain plug (since I didn't have time to go to the hardware store and the auto parts store I was at didn't have m14x1.25 bolts) in hopes that it will work as a piston stop a little better than finagling with the bolt, socket and extension.