2009 Roughhouse

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

louie427

2009 Roughhouse

Post by louie427 »

I recently bought a 2009 RH50 with 6800 miles on it. Immediately I put a 72cc Prima Big Bore kit and a malossi 19mm carb. I had the work done by a licensed motorcycle tech.

Here is my problem. The new carb has a manual choke instead of the automatic that came stock. The scoot starts great with the choke open. I sit there for a while and rev the engine a few times, once i close the choke the engine dies. I have to simultaneously close the choke, hold the brake and give it gas for the engine to stay on. What am I doing wrong? I feel like an idiot. I do not want to call the tech because i flooded the engine once and he came to look at it and it started right up. I was giving it too much throttle when starting it, instead of just pushing the auto start. Fixed that problem but now i have this one.

I was told that the carb was jetted a tad rich to help with breaking in the new top end. We have plans to adjust after 400 miles. May even change the roller weights and new exhaust.

Oh and I only fill it with non-ethanol 90 or higher grade fuel. That way I do not have to add and additives to it.

Here are links to the parts that were installed. The parts were ordered directly from Scooterworks, not ebay knockoffs.

http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-cylin ... D0S1PldW2U

http://www.scooterworks.com/malossi-car ... D0TQfldW2U

thanks in advance for the help!
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

On our Honda 500 4-stroke one lunger with manual choke, we don't use the throttle at all until we can slowly push the choke all the way off and have the bike maintain its idle. That way, you know it is fully warmed up.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you CLOSE the choke to start, and open it to RUN.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I don't think it is unusual to keep the choke partially closed during the first mile or so of a chilly morning ride.
If it will never run without some choke applied, there is an air-leak somewhere in the intake. Start by gently tightening bolts. If that doesn't help, apply gasket sealer to your intake gaskets and reinstall them.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI