help engine rebuild first time

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

marvin peters

help engine rebuild first time

Post by marvin peters »

My roughouse lost compression. Long story short I am attempting to rebuild my top end for the first time. This is the 3rd time my engine has lost compression. It's got 10 k miles. OK I have a pdf of my scooter manual. Also a copy of Haynes scooter repair manual. So far I got the head off and piston removed. The cylinder was replaced 3000 miles ago the last rebuild done by my mechanic. This time there was no seize only a hole in top of piston. Rings and cylinder look fine. I am lacking some tools I am on a quest for. I need advice on what I should do next and tools I may need. I am looking at getting a ball flex hone tool what size not sure. This is for deglazing and getting hash marks in cylinder. I plan clean the carbon out of the exhaust ports advice needed. I also need to get some cheaper calipers bore mic and a compression gauge. I need advice on needed tools and the cheapest best source you could recommend. I am determined to learn how to maintain and overhaul this little bugger. I must learn to prove my cousin wrong that I'm gonna ride my lil 2 smoker 20,000 miles. Living on a prayer at the moment. Any advice from my fellow scooter pilots win be greatly appreciated. Also I need to figure out and correct why my engine keeps blowing up. I do have a prima pipe and never up jetted my carb which I believe is the culprit. The plug is always got that dry welded crud look and never happy brown look. Thanks in advance for any advice on needed tools and tips on the procedure. I understand the jist but the between the line stuff that experienced mechanics is what I need. Thanks again.