Low Oil

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MauiGirl

Low Oil

Post by MauiGirl »

Aloha,

My scooter ran low on oil and I guess completely out of oil on my way home from work. The engine just cut off. No sputtering, just straight shut off. My boss and landlord think there may be damage and I need to get it checked out. My dad and some friends think that there may have been a safety auto-shut off to prevent any damage and that I might just need to flip that off somehow.

Does anybody know if this is true? Once I put oil in it, the starter and everything worked. The engine just wasn't starting. When I tried to kick start it, I got a few noises out of it, but it wouldn't start. It's also low on gas, but has enough to get going.

Can anyone tell me if there's a safety function that went off? Or do I need to go have it checked for damage?

I'm in huge need of help, fast. I'm living in Hawaii where I've been an unpaid intern with the help of my parents, but now I'm working and on my own in 2 weeks.
service with a smirk

Post by service with a smirk »

I googled your problem with a few choice words and got this thread from Modern Buddy.
Here's the URL:
topic26562.html

Good luck!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You can do a simple compression check. Using your kickstarter press down slowly as if you are going to start the engine. If you feel resistance there should be compression, but if it moves very easily you have done damage of some sort to your cylinder.

My best guess is that you will at the minimum need to re-ring the cylinder, worst case scenario is a complete replacement. Lucky for you its a 2T as the work is a basic job and should not be too expensive.

And there is no safety system, its not that complicated an engine.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing