Rear Brake Locked :-(

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bennfine

Rear Brake Locked :-(

Post by bennfine »

Roughhouse 50.....5500 miles or so. love it.

Rode it a few days ago it was fine. Started up this morning fine. Went 20 feet and applied the brakes and rear brake locked up. This happened last winter and mechanic said "road grime" and fixed it somehow. There has been so much snow this year I didn't ride much at all so a bit surprised it happened again.

Anyway, if I rev really high I can force the rear wheel to move, otherwise its stuck. I have to beg to get a truck to take it to the shop, so any ideas of freeing it up so I can ride it there, or should I practice my begging skills? Is there a nut I can loosen or tighten to try to change the brake line slack, or push wd40 in somewhere? [probably not but thought I would check].

Thanks!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You need to remove the rear wheel. Most likely its from humidity (yes there is some of that during winter), causing rusting and corrosion buildup on the drum lining. To remove the wheel you will need to: take off the muffler and if I remember correctly a 19mm wrench for the wheel nut. Once the wheel is off you would use a light grit sandpaper to remove the buildup. NEVER ever spray any kind of lubricant on the brake linings, this will cause you to get in a most nasty accident.
Removing the grit will take some time but doing a thorough job and paying attention to detail will do you good. Also do not use a lot of pressure with the sandpaper, a light touch and constant turning of the drum will ensure an even removal and no damage to the inner drum surface.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing