How many miles before 1st gear oil change?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

joe6

How many miles before 1st gear oil change?

Post by joe6 »

The manual says 200 miles, my dealer says 500 miles and some do it at 100 Miles. What are the pros and cons of doing this? My understanding is that some burs may break off during break in, and that 1st gear oil change is most important. Thoughts?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I changed my 2015, 170i at 160 miles. There's no way of knowing how much "stuff" is in the oil without an oil analysis. It didn't hurt the scoot to change the oil...
The only problem I found is that the correct oil level is not at the edge of the fill hole as is the case of every other motorbike I've owned. It's down inside by quite a ways. I bent a "Z" shaped wire to put in the hole to measure the depth at a specific distance inside the fill hole to keep an eye on oil level.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think 500 miles is too long. I would stick at 200 miles, unless you are anal about certain things (like me), in which case you can do it sooner. I straddled the service recommendation and did it at 100 and at 300. Honestly, if you are doing it yourself, it is so inexpensive and easy to do, there is no reason to delay it. But also don't do it too early.
joe6

Post by joe6 »

Thanks. But do we have to worry about the fill line? If we empty out the oil, and maybe even turn the gears to empty it out completely, then put the correct amount (I think 110 or 120 ml? - I will check the specs), shouldn't that be OK? I do not understand the "Z" wire thing.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

How do you know you're not leaking oil and running out?
The "Z" thing allows you to reach inside and check the oil level. The outside, lower line of the "Z" is held vertically and installed to a specific length, to measure the depth of oil.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm gonna do 500
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
KooK

Post by KooK »

I'm at 320 something now. I am going to wait till the end of this month which should have me about 400 or so. That will be broken in enough.

But a serious question for all you new RHers. My top indicated speed wide open throttle is just a tick above 40mph. How are some of you getting 45+ indicated? I'm 225 lbs. But I am reading you guys getting more than me. Jealous much!!?? Yes. I would love an extra 5mph. But how?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm running 92 octane gas, and Spectro oil. Scoot is stock and I'm 40lbs heavier than you. 50 mph on the flat.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

joe6 wrote:Thanks. But do we have to worry about the fill line? If we empty out the oil, and maybe even turn the gears to empty it out completely, then put the correct amount (I think 110 or 120 ml? - I will check the specs), shouldn't that be OK? I do not understand the "Z" wire thing.
No, there is no fill line. Just refill with 90 ml. You only put in 110 after taking apart the final drive gears, otherwise you risk overfill. This is specified in the service manual.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

KooK wrote:I'm at 320 something now. I am going to wait till the end of this month which should have me about 400 or so. That will be broken in enough.

But a serious question for all you new RHers. My top indicated speed wide open throttle is just a tick above 40mph. How are some of you getting 45+ indicated? I'm 225 lbs. But I am reading you guys getting more than me. Jealous much!!?? Yes. I would love an extra 5mph. But how?
Hmm, well, assuming you are derestricted, the wind and road surface can affect the speed. I was riding in wind today, and struggled to get up to my normal speeds. Also, any incline will affect you. Other than that, maybe wait a bit for the engine to break in some more.
joe6

Post by joe6 »

I still have not really given a long run of WOT, but I have been up to 45 easy on the speedo. I bought two r50's, and my son told me he saw 50 on the speedo (though that could have been downhill very briefly). However, I now have 175 miles on one bike and still almost just a few miles on bike 2.

My sense is that above about 20 MPH the speedo is very generous, so they are not calibrated well. Seems that is a given with scooters, though I had a Kymco that seemed way better. So, unless we talk gps speed, I'll bet we are all going about the same speed once we apply physics (bigger guy uphill = slower, head wind, etc.) and assuming no defects or engine tuning issues.

Someone with more experience might comment on how variable engine/transmission performance is bike to bike assembly line product. My guess is, if it runs great, is that the speedo is more likely the culprit. From the brief ride I had on my scooters, they feel about the same. I'll know more once I have them a while.

I will gps my speed someday when I am prepared, but for now watching out for kids on their cell phones is enough to do.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

With a 50cc even tire pressure matters for top speed. And I've run mine wide open for 35 miles straight a couple times now. It seems happy enough.
joe6

Post by joe6 »

So I changed the gear oil at 200. Piece of cake. Only thing is it looks like less than 90 cc came out, but it is hard to tell. It was dirty though. I put about 85cc in and it was not close to spilling out. No idea as to the level. How would I know if it was low? Is there a way to tell? Can we get a discussion of Gregsbuddy "Z" device?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

If its a 4 stroke engine, changing the oil soon is a good move. On the 2T RH50 its only gear oil, so 500 is fine IMO, but if you feel better changing it early that is fine. It uses so little oil you really can't go wrong.
The 2T oil you use in the tank is far more critical.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
joe6

Post by joe6 »

It is a 2 cycle, but my question is how do I know there is a sufficient amount of gear oil in the bike? Frankly, the guys at the shop where I bought it did not do a great prep job (brake squeezed to handle, part holding brake from back wheel detached and just hanging on cable, loose exhaust screw (or no gasket) off of the engine causing black gook to leak down exhaust pipe. So, I just want to know how we tell ow much oil is in there.

BTW, do you use Royal Purple? It gets rave reviews buy is not JACO rated and they say cause that is a japan rating and that is a USA product. Sound legit?
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

joe6 wrote:...BTW, do you use Royal Purple?...
Yep, RP in the gearbox. No worries.

Bel-Ray Si-7 in the 2T injector tank. Also no worries.
joe6

Post by joe6 »

I was not very clear BO2S4, I meant that Royal Purple makes a synthetic or blend for the injector tank and I wondered if anyone used this. I bought a bottle online and I was planning to use it, as it says OK for injectors, scooters and has rave reviews posted, some from scooter owners, but it has no rating.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

joe6 wrote:So I changed the gear oil at 200. Piece of cake. Only thing is it looks like less than 90 cc came out, but it is hard to tell. It was dirty though. I put about 85cc in and it was not close to spilling out. No idea as to the level. How would I know if it was low? Is there a way to tell? Can we get a discussion of Gregsbuddy "Z" device?
I also did not think that 90cc of oil came out of the final drive, when I changed mine. However, I followed the manual and put back in 90cc. If you do that, then no further measurement is required.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

joe6 wrote:... I meant that Royal Purple makes a synthetic or blend for the injector tank and I wondered if anyone used this. I bought a bottle online and I was planning to use it, as it says OK for injectors, scooters and has rave reviews posted, some from scooter owners, but it has no rating.
That should be OK, just use it when the tank needs a refill. I suggest running the current product down before you refill with RP.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I would skip the RP and run something else.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?