Best Oil?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

joe6

Best Oil?

Post by joe6 »

Assume price is no object (since you use so little it should not really be), what is the best 2t oil to use for performance and a clean engine? There are a bunch or brands. Lucus, Maxima, Torco, Scooter Pro, Bel-Ray, Klotz, others. Dealer uses Motul Sopme say, "Meets API-TC, JASO FC-FD, ISO-L-EGD standards
• JASO FD is the newest standard, which ensures a clean engine and low smoke". others like Royal Purple say made in America so no JASO rating. I am confused. Anyone use Royal Purple?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Spectro synthetic scooter 2T or Maxima, Motul, Ipone. Anything jaso cert. will be good. Avoid castor oil at all costs.
The jaso stuff will be low smoke. I bored cylinders and did engine work for years, a good quality 2T oil makes a huge difference in longevity.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
joe6

Post by joe6 »

So it is only about being certified? Is JASCO FD better than FC? If unrated we should always assume it is bad? Full synthetic vs. blend? Additives no difference?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Stop by a motorcycle/scooter shop and choose what you like. If it is JASO cert. or better you will have no issues at all. The biggest thing is that the better synthetics and jaso stuff burn VERY clean and don't gum up parts over time. It isn't as critical in a bike with no powervalves, but why not run good stuff.

I run Spectro synthetic scooter 2T. It smells great and burns very clean. I ran Motul for years in Yamaha street bikes (2T), both work very well.

I would AVOID royal purple. Their 2T is probably fine, but they have had some real issues with their 4T motor oil failing.
joe6

Post by joe6 »

OK, thanks Viney.
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

Any specific suggestions on the Spectro? They seem to have 2T, Gold, Platinum etc. I'm not 100% sure what it came with from the dealer.

TIA
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I personally run the gold scooter 2T . The regular 2T is still very good, but it smokes a bit more. Thats what I run in injector set-ups. It comes in a 1 litre bottle.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/golden-scoo ... synthetic/

For premix I run the golden spectro premix in the 12 ounce bottle and mix it 50:1
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I've got no complaints with Amsoil Dominator 2T Racing Oil. It's rated API TC which is the current spec and supposed to be better for the smaller 2-stroke applications whereas the JASCO FC is more for the larger 2-strokes but will work with smaller engines as well. I'm almost at the 200 mile mark on my Roughhouse and will be changing out the gear oil (90 cc) with 85w-140 Wolf's Head. Just going to use one of those turkey basters with the measuring marks already on it. Will post if I have any problems with that.

BTW I do notice some visible smoke at start/warm-up but it's minimal and goes away quickly. I haven't seen any smoke trail in my mirrors. Things have certainly changed since the '70's and my old Suzuki 250 X6 Hustler or TC 90. :roll:
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I've got no complaints with Amsoil Dominator 2T Racing Oil. It's rated API TC which is the current spec and supposed to be better for the smaller 2-stroke applications whereas the JASCO FC is more for the larger 2-strokes but will work with smaller engines as well. I'm almost at the 200 mile mark on my Roughhouse and will be changing out the gear oil (90 cc) with 85w-140 Wolf's Head. Just going to use one of those turkey basters with the measuring marks already on it. Will post if I have any problems with that.

BTW I do notice some visible smoke at start/warm-up but it's minimal and goes away quickly. I haven't seen any smoke trail in my mirrors. Things have certainly changed since the '70's and my old Suzuki 250 X6 Hustler or TC 90. :roll:
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Sorry for the double post. . .local area connection problems.