Roughhouse Noise Question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bennfine

Roughhouse Noise Question

Post by bennfine »

Roughhouse 50 question-6k miles. love it. drive it year round and it sadly shows.

exhaust is in horrible shape. one or two small holes near the header. i went over a pothole last week and now the bike is insanely loud. What confused me (and I am NOT mechanical) is that the sound seems to come from above the header. The square box the exhaust pipe goes into has cut outs on the bottom and side and tons of air is coming out of them [i guess that's normal] but that's where the loud sound is coming from.

Its cool because it sounds like an out of tune harley, but i am getting the stink eye from everyone who sees me. There has been no performance reduction but just very loud. Is it simply an exhaust issue or is something else going on? Any ideas? thanks.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

The cut outs are for cooling purposes but the air coming out is not normal. From your description your exhaust head has probably rusted through or the exhaust gasket is failing. If its just the gasket its an easy fix. The exhaust head on the other hand would be more expensive. A good welder could patch it depending on how severe the damage is.
Go for the gasket first if that does not alleviate the noise then take it in for a service check of the exhaust.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Get another exhaust gasket from your dealer, unbolt the pipe and replace that first. Easy fix. You could ask the local shop if they have a used stock exhaust laying about, too. They just might.
It could be the head gasket leaking , too, but you didn't say the bike was slow, so I bet it isn't that.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?