Just Got My New 2015 Roughhouse

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

R50Rider

Just Got My New 2015 Roughhouse

Post by R50Rider »

I have to say the Roughhouse 50 is absolutely awesome. I've only put about 40 miles on it so far (just got it a few days ago) and am quite impressed with the performance considering it's only 49.7cc. For 2015 they changed the powerport to a USB type 5v which will support the newer rechargeable devices. The information I got on this forum and from other sources really helped me make my final decision to buy one. The only mod I've made to it so far was to put some rubber mat material on the wear areas of the floorboard.
KooK

Post by KooK »

What do you mean power port? I have a 15RH and it has a standard 12V cigarette lighter port in the pocket in front.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

The Genuine Scooter Company now offers the Roughhouse with a 5v USB charging port so that you can plug in or recharge a phone, camera, gps etc. . .

Mine is definitely one of the newer ones. I think it was made in 02/15 according to the info plate on the scooter from the manufacturer. Maybe yours was an earlier 2015. I just noticed the change in the specs on their website recently (although it may have been there for a while). So far I can't complain about the machine though. . .better than I expected in performance and quality.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ya my 15 still has an old school 12v plug. Lol
$3 dual USB charger fits in it just fine :D
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The only things I've done to mine are a Cheeky Seats seat cover and a custom UV protective coating (mostly dirt and bugs).
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Speaking of protection I've decided to go with Wolf's Head 85W-140 gear oil. It meets the GL 5 spec and the price was right. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems and the brand has been around a long time.

Also I'm using Amsoil Dominator Synthetic 2-Stroke oil and regular 87 octane gas (91 Ron). Will probably break the 100 mile marker this weekend and be half way to the gear oil change. :helmet:
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I have been running the wolfs head oil in my car on and off for the last 100k miles and i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. It's a high mileage aveo, though, so don't assume I'm doing fast laps with a Bugatti.
acemics

Post by acemics »

I am also in CT, where did you end up getting yours? I am seriously considering one so I am in research mode now. I am borrowing a friends Puma Songbird 50 and it is a lot of fun. He is trying to get me to buy it, but I like the idea of getting something new and spending a bit more if it is better quality. The songbird must also be restricted because it only gets up to 25-30.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I am definitely a happy customer. Scooter Centrale in Plainville (Vespa Hartford) can order a Roughhouse for you if they don't have any in stock. Talk to their sales staff. Or, go to their website and contact them with any questions you have. . .they are quite helpful. The Genuine Buddy 50 is also a good choice. They are 2-stoke machines compared to the 4-strokes out there and have good pep for a small engines. Take a trip up there and check out their well stocked showroom and see what works for you. You may consider taking the "MSF" course and getting your "M" endorsement on your license at some point. . .especially if you want something with more speed later on.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Currently have a little over 150 miles logged and no problems. Will swap out the gear oil at 200 miles. Running 87 Octane (with Star Tron additive) does the job. I've had it up to 40 BMPH for limited sprints (Buddy Miles Per Hour) and it doesn't seem to strain at all. That being said I try to do more stop & go city type driving to seat the piston rings more efficiently. It will do more but it's not ready yet. . .the tail gators will have to be patient. After all the I'm still doing the speed limit. :rofl:

Providing a pic when it only had 8 miles on it. A Kodak moment for sure. Early dawn and the road beckoned. :shock:
Attachments
DCP_1435a.jpg
DCP_1435a.jpg (174.6 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Just about 325 miles now on odometer. No complaints. Machine is awesome for price and outperforms original conceptions. I have done the 200 mile gear oil change with Wolf's Head 85w-140 using a turkey baster and can't report any problems. I didn't see any significant metal debris in the original gear oil dumped out and can only say that it was rather meager and "greenish" in comparison to the new oil replacement of 90cc in quantity and color. The machine is sensitive to weight distribution (I'm 260 lbs.) if I move around or use hand signals. It picks up quickly right at the "get-go" and pulls rather briskly up to about 40bmph (Buddy Miles Per Hour). I'm glad I got this scooter for my intended use around town and the beach areas in contrast to the Buddy 125. That being said I can always use my KLR 650 or Suzuki Bandit GSF 1200 for forest roads or long distance riding. I've ridden it on Rt. 1 with no problems in CT and can only say you have to watch out for the "space cadet" drivers and creepy tailgate crawlers. . .they are everywhere. I despise drivers who "text while driving" but that is another topic I won't get into right now. I'm thinking of doing a short video soon at the 350 mile mark and will give a link to YouTube when it becomes available. The only mods I've done so far are the floor board rubber mats right and left and a set of Bell Deer Whistles. Yes. . . the deer are actually invading my suburban area and if the rabbits and squirrels can catch on to my presence that would be an added bonus. All in all if I had it to do again I would definitely buy the Roughhouse. If I didn't already have two other motorcycles then I would move on the Buddy 125.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Quick :Pic
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Quick Pic again after resize. . .video to follow soon.
Attachments
DCP_1434a.jpg
DCP_1434a.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
LRonHubbub

very happy to read this thread

Post by LRonHubbub »

I am going to get my Roughhouse 50 tomorrow, pretty stoked about it. Got the matte black one.

I've ridden scooters before but I've never owned one, I read a lot about the RH and it seemed like a solid choice. Nice to read other positive reviews.

Now I can move on to worrying about it getting stolen, and what lock to buy.

Thanks for all the tips I've already read on here, made me register for the site.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Enjoy your new R50! Just follow the break-in rules and you'll be all set. I rode mine on a lot of neighborhood type streets initially since the traffic was less and the speeds were lower. It also gives you time to get used to the mirrors and the brakes. You won't be disappointed. I looked at the popular 4-stroke models of other brands and read the reviews and at the end of the day I chose the R50 for the power, speed, and general utility of it. The price was right and it is EPA and CARB compliant for emissions. A couple of other things to note are that it does fit larger riders with ample floorboard space and it doesn't take that long to warm up from a cold start. . .you'll notice the idle drop when it does. It's OK to do a lot of "stop and go" riding during the break-in period to help seat the piston rings. . .just don't do the same speed for prolonged periods of time.
LRonHubbub

Post by LRonHubbub »

Thanks, picked it up a coupla few hours ago and have had a blast with it. It's still restricted for now, just been getting used to it driving it around the neighborhood on 30-35 mph streets. Found out my apartment building has a bike room and it's practically empty - was able to get the RH50 in there, so nice to be able to have indoor storage (and it'd be a lot of work for someone to get it out of that room). It's locked up inside a locked room no one seems to use. Score!
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Congrats on the new ride!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Congrats!