Confused replacing exhaust (with pictures :-)

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bennfine

Confused replacing exhaust (with pictures :-)

Post by bennfine »

Roughhouse 50...love it(!) 6k miles. complete mechanical idiot.

Exhaust rusted out so ordered from scooter works (based on their recommendation) a Prima replacement pipe. They say it should fit but I am confused.

The Prima pipe is triangular with three holes for bolts. I get where the two right holes go and the left most hole is for the fender.

However, on the existing exhaust, something is bolted to the middle. I have no idea what that thing is, or how it will be attached to the new exhaust. Am I being completely clueless? What is that black rectangular thing bolted to the inside of the current exhaust and how does it attach to the new one? Do I need to drill three holes in the new exhaust to attach that item? [this is why its a cheap and universal pipe replacement?]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Attachments
mysteryitem2.jpg
mysteryitem2.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
current_exhaust.jpg
current_exhaust.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
new_exhaust.jpg
new_exhaust.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

When replacing the exhaust with an aftermarket piece some things need to be left off, namely the EGR setup because there is no return tube welded on the Prima. The pic should help with your question.
The EGR setup can be seen in the background, remove the valve and "cap" off the hose or remove the whole assembly and cap off at the engine fitting.
Attachments
current_exhaust_161.jpg
current_exhaust_161.jpg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

+1 to that^

Did you get it figured out?