Trying to decide on a roughhouse 50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ffeingol

Trying to decide on a roughhouse 50

Post by ffeingol »

I've been searching for a scooter to go back / forth to work (about 3 miles). It's all paved blacktop / concrete with a couple of hills.

- Any advantages of the Titanium over the standard? I'm mostly thinking the street vs knobby tires

- The dealer offered to derestrict it right away. I don't really need to go any faster 30 (highest speed limit along my route is 35 anyways). Any real downsize to derestricting (as I can always get it done later)?

- Anyone know of a universal GPS/cell phone clamp that will work?

TIA
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

I have never ridden a restricted rh50, but i can't imagine anyone saying they wish their unrestricted scooter could go back. My ride to work sounds very similar to yours and I also couldn't imagine taking my top speed or acceleraton down, I'm WOT stoplight to stoplight already.
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

Yea, I ended up going with the matte green de-restricted. I pick it up Saturday morning and then I'll figure out what to do for a cell phone/GPS mount.
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure your going to be happy your getting it derestricted. As for a phone holder, your pocket would seem like a good option. It's just a 3 mile ride to work right?
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

I plan to ride it a more than just work ;-)
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

You won't regret the Roughhouse. It's a light machine so take your time and get used to the handling characteristics and use both brakes when you slow down or stop. Remember the left one is for the back and that's the one to lean on more and supplement with the front one. I just got mine less than a month ago and am really happy with it. I usually kick start it to save the battery and was amazed how much stuff I can fit under the seat. . .

Good luck with it!
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

I am enjoying it so far. I've driven motorcycle's for quite a while, so the breaking is pretty normal for me.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

I recently discovered the Roughhouse 50 after wanting a Zuma 50cc 2 stroke ( hard to find with a title) I am in the same situation as you, my work commute is less than 3 miles and all slow roads 35MPH. I currently use my dual sport bike for the commute because its the easiest method, and most fuel efficient bike I own.

I do like the Titanium Roughhouse, because it seems to have a better rear shock,nicer rims, bigger front brake, and the lo cut seat will help my shortypants girlfriend be more comfy on it if she wants to ride it. Plus I think the upgraded shock will be better to deal with my 6ft 260lb self.

:lol:

Question, what all is involved in the deristriction process? I heard that its just a muffler restrictor, and some sort of spacer bushing in the variator that needs removed? Details or a link to this would be great!
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

First I'm not sure any of the dealers actually have the Titanium version (none in my area did). Secondly I really wanted to tires on the standard RH not the street ones on the Titanium. I do like a few of the other 'bits' that you talked about but I figured my dealer could just order them.

Yes, it's a baffle where the exhaust connects to the engine and a space in the variator. I got my dealer to throw that in as part of the setup/delivery.

Somewhere on this forum (I can't find it right now) there is a setup video that shows the steps.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The stock rear shock works pretty well for us heavier riders. I've done some bad things to mine and it hasn't bottomed out. It's firm
enough to corner pretty well. The front shock could be a little stiffer.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Stitch wrote:The stock rear shock works pretty well for us heavier riders. I've done some bad things to mine and it hasn't bottomed out. It's firm
enough to corner pretty well. The front shock could be a little stiffer.
I noticed the front forks were soft as well. I wonder if I could just make some spring preload spacers and use thicker fork oil to remedy that?

Post a link to a parts explosion, or fork service procedure and I can probably work up a fix for this.

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ncy has a better front suspension for $2something. I'm sure there are more progressive springs out there somewhere.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Thanks again Stitch!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Look up the slaughterhouse roughhouse, they have a good list of go fast parts on it.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Yes... the stock suspension is for "light weights" but I adjust and adapt as needed. If I see a potential spine shocker coming up I try to shift my weight more reward or simply find a way around it, traffic permitting. Again, it's only a $2k 49cc scooter so in the big picture it does what it does. Since it's made in Taiwan I would assume (a common word used when one gambles an opinion based on bull_ _ _ _) that the intended riders weigh more in the 165 lb. category as adults. . .before they ad the wife and 4 children. . .not being prejudice. . .just reflecting on those photos I've seen from people who rely on them like cars. . .particularly in Southeast Asia. I grin as I pass the Harley riders and although I still long for one at heart I have to deal with the realities of the economy and upcoming surge in oil prices which will be brought on by China's rising middle class purchasing more and more cars. . .even from GM. ;^)

Not trying to digress too much here but I feel like I've entered into the future when I see other (particularly younger) riders using scooters more and more in contrast to the "I've just gotta have the Mercedes Mega SUV" types who roam the highways and bi-ways with their "Gee I'm so happy I could just _ _ _ _" attitude and latest smartphone to keep up with the Jone's. Hence the two Americas quoted by John Edwards. OMG are the '50's re-emerging. . . is another generation of young "60's" types about to hit the streets in protest? Time will tell. . .oops. . .gotta go.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The 15's have 2 settings on the rear shock. The max weight on the roughhouse is mid 300's. The front suspension could be better, but you can just hop the front wheel over most stuff.