Am I crazy? 6ft tall 260lbs and I want a 50cc scooter!!!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bobbed06

Am I crazy? 6ft tall 260lbs and I want a 50cc scooter!!!

Post by Bobbed06 »

Ok, This is kinda my intro here. I have been racing MX, building cusom Harleys, and riding dual sports for over 20 years. I have also owned the full lineup of sport bikes starting with 600cc and working my way up to 1000cc bikes.

I no longer ride sport bikes now, still have my old Harley, and commute the 3 miles to work daily on my DRZ 400 dual sport bike. I am 6ft tall 260lbs and find myself gooning at every moped I see.

I had a 1984 Suzuki FA50 when I was a kid and used it to run my paper route in the mornings before school. I had so many good memories of that scooter, and wished I would have kept it. I remember riding at 4am so quietly thru my route. The quiet engine just sneaking by without bothering anyone.

For the longest time I wanted an older 2 stroke 50cc Yamaha Zuma, which has been virtually impossible to find in mint condition, with a proper title (some states I may reside in require tags and insurance) So I had almost given up on owning another 50cc 2 stroke, because I did NOT want one of the Chinese cheapo scooters that run for about 500 miles and you just throw them away.

So I stumbled across a local scooter shop, and they had the full lineup of the Genuine scooters....and there it was....the Titanium Roughhouse 50cc! These scooters look quality, the fit and finish is on par with the Yamahas of today, and its a 2 stroke 50cc!!!! The upgraded rear shock, lo profile seat, LED lighting, big front brake, and I really like the wheels.

If I derestrict this will it actually do 40 MPH with my 260lb self on flat land? Or am I dreaming? I see people posting videos of stock Roughhouse going 50 MPH on speedo (dunno if its accurate) bone stock and unrestricted. They also seem to get to 40 MPH fairly quick?

Reality check, and derestriction info appreciated. Thank You
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Yes, derestricted it will do 50mph with someone your size (me) riding it. It's a touch doggy right off the line (changing the roller weights will fix that I guess, haven't done it yet) but it's surprisingly snappy. They are a fun little machine.

There are 2 things restricting it, one in the exhaust and a spacer in the pulley. Both need to come out.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

My stock roughhouse went 38 mph gps with me on it. After adding a pipe it would go 45 mph. It went 7000 miles before the rings broke. It didn't care for the rpms it was turning
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

What temps was it running?
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

lovemysan wrote:My stock roughhouse went 38 mph gps with me on it. After adding a pipe it would go 45 mph. It went 7000 miles before the rings broke. It didn't care for the rpms it was turning
How much do you weigh? 7000 miles is pretty darn good for a 50cc moped. At least I think so, did it show signs of power loss before the piston rings gave up?

I dont plan on any performance mods other than derestriction. I dont want to mod it, just enjoy it for what it is.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Stitch wrote:Yes, derestricted it will do 50mph with someone your size (me) riding it. It's a touch doggy right off the line (changing the roller weights will fix that I guess, haven't done it yet) but it's surprisingly snappy. They are a fun little machine.

There are 2 things restricting it, one in the exhaust and a spacer in the pulley. Both need to come out.
How much do you weigh? 50MPH is really good, I would be plenty happy with that speed. :D
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

That's off the speedometer. I haven't bothered checking with a GPS yet. It's a 50cc, and it goes fast enough to make it fun to ride.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Thank You Stitch
KooK

Post by KooK »

i want to know how you guys are getting over 40 on your RH!!?? I cant get over 40. i took it in for its 500 mile checkup and they(genuine dealership) couldn't figure it out either. did genuine do something for the 15 model year? i would love to have that extra little bit of speed you all talk so much about. but alas, I am stuck at 40mph. all stock and yes derestricted!
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

It seems like some guys are at the 40 MPH mark, then others say 50MPH both GPS verified and speedometer indicated? Look at the video I posted a few posts ago Kook. That guy hits 50 on the speedo.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I don't mean to steer you away from a Genuine, but Kymco and others make a big wheel (16" wheels) 50cc scoot that would likely be more comfortable for you.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm 5'11". 270lbs. My roughhouse ran 40-50mph (speedo) for 160 miles yesterday. Maybe the 15's are magical, but as far as I know they didn't change anything. 89 octane gas, Spectro oil, derestricted, tires at max psi listed, everything else except the seat cover is stock.

Actually , not to muddy the waters, but it's hitting what looks to be 52 or so now. Can't see the speedometer in the video, didn't occur to me that I would need it, but videos are at the bottom of the page.

https://adamdanger.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... igit-ride/
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like the RH can accept a variety of handlebars too, so you can get a comfortable reach. I dig that DRZ.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Here. My roughhouse speedo.
http://youtu.be/2kDFVFM-jWU
KooK

Post by KooK »

Now you're just rubbing it in!!!
Last edited by KooK on Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Thanks for all of the replies everybody! I will take a look at the videos as well as that big wheel Kymco.

Gotta go run an errand, brb to check out everyones replies.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

wheelbender6 wrote:Looks like the RH can accept a variety of handlebars too, so you can get a comfortable reach. I dig that DRZ.
Thanks, I love my DRZ. I got some new knobbies to install sometime this week.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Stitch wrote:Here. My roughhouse speedo.
Wow, thats great! I love the fact that it will go so fast and is still quiet! I bet the fact that you are running a top shelf brand oil helps it achieve those speeds. When I raced MX I tried alot of different oils. Whic Spectro oil do you use? Do you premix it yourself or still use the oil injection the scooter came with stock?

Maxima Super M (garbage)
Klotz Red Label, R50, and Benol
Golden Spectro
Blendzall

for me the Klotz lineup offered signifigant performance increases, especially on 125cc bikes.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

That would equal about 44-45mph GPS on my bike.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Bobbed06 wrote:
lovemysan wrote:My stock roughhouse went 38 mph gps with me on it. After adding a pipe it would go 45 mph. It went 7000 miles before the rings broke. It didn't care for the rpms it was turning
How much do you weigh? 7000 miles is pretty darn good for a 50cc moped. At least I think so, did it show signs of power loss before the piston rings gave up?

I dont plan on any performance mods other than derestriction. I dont want to mod it, just enjoy it for what it is.
I weigh 250lbs all speeds quoted were with me on it. My good friend put the miles on it. Running about 45 mph to work everyday. We kitted it with a 70cc kit but its way under geared for the power it makes.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

lovemysan wrote:
Bobbed06 wrote:

I weigh 250lbs all speeds quoted were with me on it. My good friend put the miles on it. Running about 45 mph to work everyday. We kitted it with a 70cc kit but its way under geared for the power it makes.
Post specifics on the big bore kit you chose, along with the specific pipe and carb please.
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

lovemysan wrote:
That would equal about 44-45mph GPS on my bike.
Thats still a respectable speed for a stock unrestricted scooter!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Just the red Spectro, the Dino 2t. Same as my Stella.
I don't get wrapped up in the gps thing, unless something seems way off. It's a 50cc scooter, and it goes fast enough to be fun. It's quiet, so I can do sketchy things without anyone noticing. It's big enough to be comfortable for a couple hundred miles a day. Just put gas in it and refill the oil tank occasionally. If I feel like working on something I have a Stella that always needs beat with wrenches.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

270 lb. Guy. 40-50 all day. With an indicated top speed of 52-54 (I watched the video). Out of 49cc's? I would say I am impressed.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Thanks for the help guys! At this point all i need to confirm is that I am gonna stay in this location (scooter friendly) or if my new location is gonna be scooter friendly. But since I get the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin with the purchase which is then converted to a NC Title once taxes and fee is paid, and as of June 1st we are required to register 50cc scooters anyway. Am I safe to assume that a registered and insured 50cc RH with all of the lights in place will be street legal anywhere I go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Anywhere in the U.S. Some states require insurance and tags; some do not. It varies from state to state, but it is legal everywhere.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

viney266 wrote:... but it is legal everywhere.
Mostly yes, however CA for example has a 150cc size minimum for freeways...other states like PA don't have a size limit, but do have a minimum highway speed limit (generally 40 MPH minimum).
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

Ok so they are legal everywhere for the most part, as long as you stick to roads that have a speed limit no higher than about 50-55MPH. Ideally I like to stick with roads in the 45 MPH range even on my dual sport bike.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Getting 40BMPH out of mine no problem and still breaking it in. Pushing it now to 45BMPH and still have more throttle left but only applying for brief spurts until I hit the 600 mile mark. I weigh 260 lbs. and am using on flat roads. Machine delivers as advertised for me. . .
KooK

Post by KooK »

I hate you all! :P