Impressions of a 2013 Roughhouse 50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Impressions of a 2013 Roughhouse 50

Post by DeeDee »

I've owned two Buddy 125's, and currently ride a 2014 170i. I've owned over 20 different scooters since 1985. My favorite of all time is my 2008 Yamaha C3. I've put over 20,000 miles on it. The C3 is amazing because it gets over 115mpg, and with a few simple mods it will do 45mph all day long. I picked up a 2013 R50 from the original owner. It had 31 miles on it and had sat for 10 months. The battery was dead, and the gas tank was full of rust and sludge because PO left it 1/4 full when she last rode it. All I had to do to get it back on the road was pull the tank and clean it. I had never paid attention to the Roughhouse before this. I bought it to flip but the little scooter is winning my heart. Pros:
Will do 45mph with ease on a straight away with my 200 lbs riding her,
Has an audible turn signal flasher, boy is this nice to hear when your blinker is on,
Comes stock with a side stand, no such deal on my C3
Has the brake fluid reservoir cap exposed, no pulling the headset like on a Buddy,
Large beefy tires, like on a Zuma or Ruckus. I've always thought the Buddy tires were a little puny,
Beefy rear adjustable shock, superior to what comes stock on a Buddy 125.
The ONLY complaint I have about this scooter is it's weak acceleration on the hills. I'm pretty sure that a $30 variator and $22 worth of Dr. Pulley sliders will take care of this.
All in all, I think it is an awesome scooter. Bought this one to turn, but this winter I'll probably be looking for one to keep.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Interesting to read your impressions here. I too have owned and loved a fat tired C3 and Ruckus and in my desire for another second 49cc have been thinking about a Roughhouse.

Just curious, if you love this one why sell it just to turn around and buy another?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I can sell this one and clear enough to buy something older with more miles during the off season. I love all scooters, but love free ones the most.