Your thoughts on a used Roughhouse vs. new

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Your thoughts on a used Roughhouse vs. new

Post by Whimscootie »

I have a line on a 6 year old Roughhouse with 6K miles on it for $1200.

It has newer tires, some cosmetic scuffs and fades, some rust around the exhaust pipe. Nothing major looking.

It is at a Genuine shop and they are going to go over it with a "fine tooth comb" to make sure everything is up and running as it should.

Of course there are many "mysteries" yet to be seen once they start looking the scooter over. I have a bit of fear of the unknown re might be lurking in a scooter that was ridden rough and then possibly sat for a while.

I also have the option of ordering a brand new RH50 for about $1k more and here I get the warranty, a new unit theoretically free of defects, can pick the color I want, etc.

Frugality leans me toward the older scooter and a desire for an unblemished new scooter under warranty leans me toward the new order.

Advice? Thoughts? What would you do? Etc...
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you are buying it from a dealer, have them do a compression test and show you the results. Get them to give you a 30, 60 or 90 day warranty, whatever you can negotiate. Then ride it hard the first month. I think the price is a little high unless you can get some type of warranty. I'd want to be sure the compression is good.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

And actually the price is higher with tax, title and license! So it's looking more like 1500 vs. 2300 OTD! Only an 800 difference.

Re the warranty, the answer is no, I'm sure.

And I am getting ready to move about 2 hrs away from this shop this summer and the last thing I need is this scoot breaking down here and there.

Maybe I am answering my own question! LOL
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'd never buy a 50cc scooter from a dealer because of the sales tax. In Colorado you pay $5.85 for 3 years registration. No taxes, title fees or other nonsense. I picked up a 2013 Roughhouse 2 weeks ago with 31 miles. It came with a new $90.00 helmet and $150 armored jacket. I paid $1000 for the whole deal. If you like the Roughhouse, you might check out the 2012 and newer Yamaha Zuma. They are now fuel injected, 4 stroke. It's the same 3 valve motor that was used in the C3. Bullet proof engine and easy to mod for much better acceleration and top speed.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Zuma 50F scoots are 3300 OTD here at Yammie dealers. Yeah, the C3 engine is also in the 2013+ Vino Classic as well.

Zuma is a bigger platform 4 stroke EFI scoot, unlike the Roughhouse.

There's no getting out of paying sales tax here. If you are going to ride it you must title it and pay sales tax whether you buy from a shop or private seller.

Such is life...
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I probably should have posted over on the General Forum for more answers, but Dee Dee your suggestion of a compression test is one I will keep in mind.

With that said, I am still leaning toward a new one and might be able to find one at another dealer, at least to test ride, but that would entail a 2+ hour drive north, west, or south. So I doubt I will undertake that chore.

More than likely I will wait to see how this older one turns out though I doubt the price will be negotiable and I think it is too high for a 6 year old scooter with that many miles. At least I could test ride it to see how it handles.

Just gotta hang in there and see I guess....

:roll:
170Irene

Post by 170Irene »

The question of what would I do might not be what fits your situation. With that said, I would first think about how long do I plan to keep this scooter new or used and will it be my primary scooter - use it daily or once a week. . . If I plan to keep it for a few years and/or use it daily, I would opt for the new one. If I had another scooter that I know is reliable I would go for the used one. But since I have to pay to have my scooters repaired and serviced, the used scooter would have to be in good to excellent condition.

I hope this helps. A Roughhouse sounds like it would be fun. Good luck with your decision.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Small 2T with 6000 miles? Given the choices you have presented, I would go new.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

You guys make good points that I had not thought of.

I will see how the used one performs and what issues might be of concern once it is ready.

No hurry re making a decision now but I want to make the best use of my dollars spent.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Take it for a ride. If you are scooting down the road at 45MPH the compression is fine. Use a good two-stroke oil you buy at a shop ( I prefer Spectro), and drive it. The RH is pretty tough. If it has any issues or seems shaky. Then go new.
Also, this may seem silly, but is it the colour you want?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

viney266 wrote:Take it for a ride. If you are scooting down the road at 45MPH the compression is fine. Use a good two-stroke oil you buy at a shop ( I prefer Spectro), and drive it. The RH is pretty tough. If it has any issues or seems shaky. Then go new.
Also, this may seem silly, but is it the colour you want?
LOL, it's hit and miss on the color and that is the least of my concerns about it right now.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Tough decision. $800 buys a lot of parts and gas. Like Viney said, take it for a
ride, if hits 45mph and nothing feels weird, it should be fine.

Then again, new is nice too.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I've never ridden or heard a 2 stroke scooter run.

What should I expect in terms of that experience?

Are they normally loud, vibrate, what?

Besides hitting 45mph, anything to note?

:shock:
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Whimscootie wrote:I've never ridden or heard a 2 stroke scooter run.

What should I expect in terms of that experience?

Are they normally loud, vibrate, what?

Besides hitting 45mph, anything to note?

:shock:
There is definitely a distinct sound (and smell) to a 2T engine. Nothing like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning! :wink: Less growl-y than a 4T, and I would say it's a little louder. 2Ts can be a bit more "jumpy/peppy" when throttling and quicker on the pick up than a 4T. Not quite as smooth of a ride as a 4T, but a heck of a lot of fun!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Though I am intrigued by the Roughhouse, I went with a ''like new'' Yamaha C3. Had one before and was sorry I sold it. Love my C3!

Thanks for all your great insights though!
170Irene

Post by 170Irene »

Congratulations on your choice of scooters. The C3 is adorable with lots storage and other great features!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The C3 is my hands down favorite scooter of all time. You would have a long way to go to beat the reliability and speed of the C3. $25.00 worth of parts and you can make the C3 go 45mph all day long. What color did you get? How about a picture? They are getting harder to find.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I agree it is the best! Made a huge mistake selling it the first time.

Pics over in the Gallery section and story/pics on my blog.

Yes, very hard to find.