Jetting help needed

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JewelryMonk

Jetting help needed

Post by JewelryMonk »

I just installed the Stage 2 conversion:
I replaced the piston and cylinder to 70cc, replaced slides and spring, put on the Prima pipe, and changed the jetting from 82 to 95, which came with the kit. I fired it up and it started and idled fine. When I went to test it on the road, it had absolutely no response to giving it gas, just barely putt-ed. I removed the airbox to see if more air would help, and it did a bit. It didn't have any bottom end acceleration, but got up to about 35mph. I noticed if I gave it more gas, it would bog and I could feel (with my hand) a spray of gas coming out of the carb.
Is this all a jetting issue and do I just need to play with jetting until it is satisfactory? I am contemplating going to a 19mm carb and a performance air filter, but that doesn't help me today.
Thank you for your help.
Doug
B02S4

Re: Jetting help needed

Post by B02S4 »

JewelryMonk wrote:... When I went to test it on the road, it had absolutely no response to giving it gas, just barely putt-ed. I removed the airbox to see if more air would help, and it did a bit. It didn't have any bottom end acceleration, but got up to about 35mph...
2T motors are very sensitive to jetting...too lean, and they don't want to rev...too rich, and they won't rev

All other things equal, a displacement bump will tend to draw more vacuum through the carb and lessen the need to upjet.

As a start I suggest going smaller and see if it helps.
JewelryMonk

Post by JewelryMonk »

After my 70cc upgrade and Prima pipe, I put a 19mm Malossi carb on this week with a scooterworks racing air filter, had an 80 jet in the carb from the start. I changed jest 5 times and ended up with a 118 jet in it. still has no low end, bogs down quite a bit.... no take off..., but goes good at the top end.
Plug finally looks tan instead of white.
Also changed slider weights to 6.0g and stronger spring.
I have to figure out the low end....
Any ideas?