What is your lock of choice for your scooter?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LRonHubbub

What is your lock of choice for your scooter?

Post by LRonHubbub »

Would love any input in this area, as I am pretty nervous about my RH 50 getting ripped off.

First thing I'm doing is getting it insured, but if you have any suggestions please let me know. I understand there is only so much that can realistically be done.

Thanks!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I use a strong bicycle cable lock. The cable is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in diameter. Always lock your scoot to something immoveable, like a bicycle rack or wrought iron fence. One strong guy can toss your scoot into the back of a truck and haul it away. My 2 cents.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

If you live in an area with a higher crime rate, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a reinforced steel chain lock. I live in Atlanta, where unfortunately theft of scoots is a less-than-rare occurrence (I've been a victim from inside my gated apartment community...RIP powder blue Buddy 50 :( ). I definitely learned from my mistake and now use a Kryptonite series 2 chain, and a Xena disk lock/alarm for when there's nothing to lock it to (I have a 125 which is considered a motorcycle here in GA, meaning I can't park it on sidewalks/lock to bike racks). I really like that the Kryptonite locks come with an insurance policy through the company, and although it's not nearly what the scoot is worth, it's a nice little piece of mind!
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I read somewhere that cable locks aren't that great. Some thief with a small pair of wire cutters can gnaw through a cable lock strand by strand in only a matter of minutes and be off with the scoot. A solid steel lock is better and anything else like an alarm is an added plus.

I don't leave mine parked for very long in public lots or at stores and currently do just have a cable lock but am considering something better. . .

The "Bully Locks" come with a remote pager for about $150 and provide a visual deterrent. :whew: