almost got hit, super hard stopping

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

almost got hit, super hard stopping

Post by KooK »

well, today i had my first encounter with a jackwagon van driver not stopping for a stop light. luckily I am very aware of the surroundings, n=but he ran a stop light and i had to "slam" my brakes. well, if you were wondering if the brakes are hard enough to lock up, well, they are. turned off Espalanade going to work in the French Quarter, and the next block i saw the van. watching, he didn't stop, and by the time i was there, kinda panicy, but still focused enough to avoid it, I slammed the brakes and they locked up, it is kinda loud when they do, instant adrenaline and slight amount of cursing. thankfully I'm ok. was just shook up. I always thought the brakes were kinda soft, especially the front brakes, but alas, they work just fine!

Be safe out there, and always be aware!!!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Sorry you had this happen to you.
I've been performing regular rear brake lock up stops to stay in practice for what you just experienced. My scoot' mostly stops in a straight line and the front brake seems to balance well with the rear drum.
Practice makes perfect and prepared.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

It's good that you are still here to share your experience with us. . .sounds like it was enough to give you the shakes.

I had a rabbit run out in front of me about a month ago (at night) and had to hit the brakes hard. Although I didn't lock them up I was impressed at the stopping power the R50 has. There were only a few hundred miles on my scoot at the time and I had the opportunity to get a good idea on how to use them effectively. That being said I think the brakes are fully broken in now so I may try some full-lock skids just for practice in an empty parking lot or something. Oh. . .and the rabbit was fine.

Over the recent Holiday weekend I saw another deer in my area and a fox (possibly coyote) while riding at night and slowed down while monitoring the brakes just in case. I'm glad I installed the deer whistles though. :shock: