'08 Roughhouse leaks fuel out of air cleaner

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Koifish

'08 Roughhouse leaks fuel out of air cleaner

Post by Koifish »

2008 Genuine Roughhouse 49cc 2stk 180 miles

This is my Boss' scooter and he rarely drives it. He bought it at a liquidation sale few years after the local scoot shop went out of business .

Runs/ Drives Perfect when it starts! But Leaks within 1hr of shutoff.

I have read this forum and tried as many fixes as I have read but still fuel is leaking out of air cleaner over night. This time a 1/2 tank. Tank was at just over half full when parked.

What Ive Done;

Remove carb and clean jets, float, needles (was coated in green corrosion). I used a toothbrush and Chemtool B12 Carb Cleaner.

Replace Fuel Autocock and Filter, inspect vacuum/fuel lines for flow. (perform suck/blow ((lol)) on vacuum line to autocock, seems fine, fuel flows and stops when no pressure)

Remove and Inspect Oil Tank/ lines and check flow.

Inspect Breather Hose for mouse house.

What I Have Planned Next;

Re-replace Autocock + Filter

Replace Float and Needle Valve

Replace Air Filter

How is it that the Autocock is new and primed yet still lets fuel flood the AC? Is there some way that the Autocock is still getting vacuum after shutoff? Could faulty float/needle valve create a vacuum or gravity flow enough to open Autocock? Float is silent upon shake (no moisture inside) and needle valve seems flawless (even spring loaded plunger on tab side works fine).

I dont understand..... Please help!

Thank You In Advance,
Mike
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

It doesn't take much to screw with the polish on the seat. In your case I'd replace the carb and not give it another thought. Even with a stuck petcock, it won't leak with a correctly operating carb.
Koifish

Post by Koifish »

Thanks avescootes1134 for your reply! I took your advice and tried a fix;

Bought a dowel rod and polishing compound then lapped the valve seat. Also in the float bowl I found an orifice that seems to go to electronic choke, it was plugged. I "cleared it" with a sewing needle. Bike rides great as ever but still leaks, just not as fast. May be on right track. Tomorrow i will bend float tab and see if that helps.

BTW, noticed NO/LA on your tag. The wife and I spent our honeymoon there on Magazine @ The Green House. Awesome City!