New RH Owner w/ some quick questions

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

moff3tt

New RH Owner w/ some quick questions

Post by moff3tt »

I bought a 2015 RH Titanium a few days ago and I love it. I am going to use it to commute to work and back mostly. My commute is like 20 miles round trip so not too far. I get a GPS verified 40-42mph average while riding it currently completely stock. I have peaked on a long down hill at a gps verified 50mph . :lol: Not bad for pushing my 230lb ass around. So I believe the shop truly did derestrict it as they said they did.

I digress. After riding with my friend and his dad who are both pretty knowledgeable about scooters and motorcycles they both agree that I should get an exhaust for my scooter. It will help me reach 45mph which is the highest speed limit on any road that I will be commuting on, and it will allow people to hear me if they can't see me. Doing some research I think I will get a Tecnigas Triops. I know it's kind of over the top for a commuter but I found at least one article where on an Aprilla 50cc 2t otherwise stock except for carb tuning the Triops did play nicely enough. It will also give me the head room I need if I ever want to go a little more balls out in the future and get a 70cc kit. Not to mention it seems to be of good quality and it is fairly affordable so I think it's a good compromise.

I was researching rejetting the carburetor. I am no stranger to carburetors or their tuning so that part I'm not scared of, but I read in passing that a larger dellorto carb, even on my 50, would do better with the exhaust than jetting the stock carb will do. I think they said it would be easier to tune, the engine would run cooler (good for me since I want reliability), and even get better mpg. I wanted to kind of verify this since it wasn't really expounded upon and I have had a hard time finding more information.

While researching dellorto carbs it seems that I MAY be able to maintain my electric choke? I would really like to since I want my scooter to be a get on (let it warm up ;) ) and go kind of deal. I have had fidely project cars before and I really enjoy not having to do any of that with this scooter. So I am curious about this as well.

Thank you guys for any help you can offer. I am fully prepared for any shaming/hazing I may have to endure if my ignorance made me not use the correct terms and therefore did not find the answers I was looking for in my searches and/or I broke some rules posting this (since I did not read them first :roll: ) since I am not a stranger to the internet.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

One thing to consider with your pending upgrades is if voiding your 2 year unlimited mileage warranty is a risk you are willing to take. I know I wouldn't, read my thread titled 'roughhouse died on me'. Had I done anymods like you are thinking about, my blown engine would NOT be covered by warranty.
Congrats on the new scooter though!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Honestly, I would give it a few hundred miles to break in, and shake out any issues it might have before you void the warranty. You can play with the roller weights and move the power range around a little, but 50 is spinning it up pretty hard.

All that being said, that pipe does look pretty badass. I haven't gotten to hear one in person.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

luckyscroller788 wrote:One thing to consider with your pending upgrades is if voiding your 2 year unlimited mileage warranty is a risk you are willing to take. I know I wouldn't, read my thread titled 'roughhouse died on me'. Had I done anymods like you are thinking about, my blown engine would NOT be covered by warranty.
Congrats on the new scooter though!
That's probably a good call. I am happy with the scooter for now so I think I can wait.
Stitch wrote:Honestly, I would give it a few hundred miles to break in, and shake out any issues it might have before you void the warranty. You can play with the roller weights and move the power range around a little, but 50 is spinning it up pretty hard.

All that being said, that pipe does look pretty badass. I haven't gotten to hear one in person.
The GPS verified 50 is as I said down a long hill not sustained at all. I think I'll continue to research carbs and carb tuning in the meantime. Is there another model of scooter that is basically the same as my Roughhouse that I could search for? I know the PGO PMX 50 is the same but there may be other scooters with the same motor and carburetor.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Keep in mind that most aftermarket exhausts are designed to make peak top end power with ported and or big bore kits and aftermarket variators and clutch springs.

Basically if you just slap a pipe on a stock (rejetted) engine and a stock CVT you run the chance of it having zero power off the line, worse than a restricted RH.

Also bye bye warranty! If you're riding wide open on a daily basis, you may want to keep that warranty around.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Good luck with your new Titanium version of the R50. I can see your need for speed but if I were you I'd leave it stock. It's got some nice upgrades on it already. I'm happy with my new 2015 Roughhouse as well and it goes plenty fast for me. Although I've got a couple of motorcycles I can fall back on if I need to go faster or farther I debated the issue of getting a "50" or "125+" for a long time and am glad I settled on the "50" at this point in time. It does what I need it to. It's a bit of a jump from a beefed up "50" to a "125" or "150" so I wish you luck in your decision making and how you want to spend your money. Either way you've got a really nice scooter right now! As an added note just check the clearance you have with the front turn signals if you make tight turns. Congrats on choosing the Roughhouse. Keep us updated about how it's working for you . . .especially the suspension. :clap:
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

R50Rider wrote:Good luck with your new Titanium version of the R50. I can see your need for speed but if I were you I'd leave it stock. It's got some nice upgrades on it already. I'm happy with my new 2015 Roughhouse as well and it goes plenty fast for me. Although I've got a couple of motorcycles I can fall back on if I need to go faster or farther I debated the issue of getting a "50" or "125+" for a long time and am glad I settled on the "50" at this point in time. It does what I need it to. It's a bit of a jump from a beefed up "50" to a "125" or "150" so I wish you luck in your decision making and how you want to spend your money. Either way you've got a really nice scooter right now! As an added note just check the clearance you have with the front turn signals if you make tight turns. Congrats on choosing the Roughhouse. Keep us updated about how it's working for you . . .especially the suspension. :clap:
What do you mean especially the suspension? :?

After doing more research and talking to some shops, I may go with the Leo Vince ZX R pipe and a stock carb rejet. However, I do plan on tweaking the CVT as well at a later date. We'll have to see how it goes. Won't be for a few weeks either way.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

You have an upgraded suspension over the regular roughhouse
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Honestly, all that money and time spent for a few more miles per hour is a waste, IMO.

Want to go faster? Get a bigger scooter or a second scooter.

Want to feel safer commuting? Wear a high viz jacket, vest, gloves, and helmet.

Meanwhile, enjoy your awesome RH!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

The rear shock on the Titanium version is different than the one on the regular Roughhouse. It's an adjustable piggy back reservoir shock. . .plus you have 12 inch wheels. Those may contribute to an improved ride overall.
goomba

Post by goomba »

I am just at 450 miles on my RH titanium. I drive the same distance round trip in DC and it does great in the traffic. I had went back and forth about what type of bike to get and what cc. I finally settled on the RH because I didn't need anything bigger to commute. If you need more buy more. We all know the 50's are big bikes and purchased them anyway.

But hell don't listen to me it's your bike do what you want! Your grown. (FYI this might sound like me being a smart ass but I'm serious)
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

goomba wrote:I am just at 450 miles on my RH titanium. I drive the same distance round trip in DC and it does great in the traffic. I had went back and forth about what type of bike to get and what cc. I finally settled on the RH because I didn't need anything bigger to commute. If you need more buy more. We all know the 50's are big bikes and purchased them anyway.

But hell don't listen to me it's your bike do what you want! Your grown. (FYI this might sound like me being a smart ass but I'm serious)
I love tinkering. So I'll likely not be able to control myself so trying to get a couple of mph, mpg, dBs, and look a bit cooler all at the same time is what I'll attempt to do.

The rear shock is adjustable but it looks like it's just preload and at that doesn't come with the wrenches needed lol. I'm pretty happy with the ride but being my first scooter I don't have anything to compare it to. The seat hurts my butt after a while though.
goomba

Post by goomba »

It's my first scooter to. I've found the headlights suck! Lucky for me DC has so many street lights I can still see great.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

moff3tt wrote:The seat hurts my butt after a while though.
You could always check into grabbing one of the stock R50 seats (the Titaniums come with a lowered "sport-style" seat). They're way cushier-better for your behind on longer rides! You may even find someone on here who'd switch with you.
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

goomba wrote:It's my first scooter to. I've found the headlights suck! Lucky for me DC has so many street lights I can still see great.
Make sure you adjust your headlight with you sitting on the scooter. I know the first time I went out at dark I couldn't see anything with my headlight because it was angled up way to much.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I find the 35W headlight to be adequate on low beam. It's definitely not as bright as a regular motorcycle headlight (60/55W) but it works for me. The high beam seems to produce a square spot of brightness out front but overall I prefer to use the low beam. I tend to use the same roads all the time so I've already got a good idea where the irregularities or bumps are from day time running and tend to focus more on things like debris or animals crossing in addition to the traffic at night.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Does anyone else's headlight make a "cat face" outline on the road right in front of the scooter ?
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

On high beam it does indeed look like the face of a smiling cat just in front of the wheel. . .or I should say at the bottom of the field of light. I'm not sure what the square box of light is up above it further out but I guess it's supposed to do some good. All that being said I still use low beam most of the time. That cat image is definitely a trip though. . .I never noticed it before until I actually looked for it. Cool. . . :)
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

Stitch wrote:Does anyone else's headlight make a "cat face" outline on the road right in front of the scooter ?
I know exactly what you're talking about. Mine does that too.

Imo the headlights are terrible but it seems to me that they're pointing up into the sky. I've hit some bumps and while the front of the scooter's dipped down the headlights actually illuminate the road well.

Are the lights adjustable at all?
KooK

Post by KooK »

Yes. I just learned that they are adjustable! The screw right under the headlight is the adjustment screw. I believe loosening it aims it up, tightening it aims it down.
moff3tt

Post by moff3tt »

KooK wrote:Yes. I just learned that they are adjustable! The screw right under the headlight is the adjustment screw. I believe loosening it aims it up, tightening it aims it down.
Did you get a chance to test this?