Roughhouse is Slow

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pumbler

Roughhouse is Slow

Post by pumbler »

Hi! this is my first post here. Thanks for your help! :)

I just recently purchased a used roughhouse from someone down the road form me. Was not running when I purchased it for 400 dollars.

I've heard so much about this scooter and was pretty excited to finally have something to keep up with the Zumas around my neighborhood.

Long story short I'm slower than stock ruckuses and Chinese scooters.
Top GPS speed was 36 on flat/slight down hill.

Things I've done:
1. Removed Exhaust to check for restriction. None
2. Removed crank case cover to check for washer restriction. None
3. Tried running without air box. Cleaned Airbox. no change.
4. Ran it hard for many miles to just and clear carbon buildup
5. Fresh Gasoline high octane.
6. Removed Carb. Spent awhile going through each port with needle. Carb cleaner and air compressor. Twice.
7.Asked it nicely to go faster :)

I love the look and feel of this scooter. Just think maybe something could be wrong. Does anyone know what the compression is I would like to check it.

Is there anything else I should check?
Thanks so much!
Clydeo

Check

Post by Clydeo »

I own a Buddy, not a roughhouse, but the engine is the same. I would check the spark plug, because it can get fouled if cheap 2 stoke oil is used. I almost hate to bring this up, because it has been argued about lots of times already, but my scooter actually runs much better on regular (87 octane) gas.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

How many miles? It might be time for a compression check and possibly a top end rebuild.
pumbler

Post by pumbler »

Have 7k miles does anyone know what the compression is supposed to be at I have the checking tool.

Going out to get a new spark plug in a minute.

Thanks a bunch
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

120-130psi is pretty normal. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. Should be over 100psi to run
viney266

Post by viney266 »

This will sound silly, but did you fully remove the pipe and look inside the opening? The restricter kind of hides down in the pipe a quarter inch and is easy to miss if you drop just the front. Make SURE its not in there.

Something is amiss. I weigh 260 and can regularly get 42-44 out of one.

Also, cheap premix could have clogged things up. Good flow out the pipe?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
pumbler

Thank you thank you

Post by pumbler »

Okay after changing the spark plug no change. Using the NGK from the manual.

Checked Compression around 150 PSI

Could the belt cause any issues?

Im going to take the exhaust off again and check!

The way it is running is like if I go WOT from 0 it seems like rev up real good but not take off like 2 stroke. It just seems to buzz around feels like a Chinese clone moped. I'm not an expert but it feels like its not holding its power band?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

The one thing everyone forgets is the fuel filter. If it gets mucked up it will restrict fuel flow and performance.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
SlickRick

Post by SlickRick »

So it is for certain 1 of 3 things. Check your rollers first flat spots change me out... Second whoever sold it to you used crappy oil for sure and even if the didn't the exhaust port can become clogged and restrict the bike worse than the restrictor plate. Take the pipe off and lay on the ground under the bike with a flashlight. Look up into where the exhaust comes out of its just about the same side al the way through. I find on scooters with 7k they are normally clogged 40-50%by carbon. This carbon will be very thin and create a crust edge just at the end of the exhaust port before you hit the piston. Third. The previous owner used crap oil since day on your exhaust port is clogged and your exhaust is as well. You can confirm a clogged pipe by taking the small bolt on the length of the pipe out and see if any difference
Jwhitner60

Power issue

Post by Jwhitner60 »

I have the same issue with my 2012 R50. It just started about a month ago. The scooter seems to "4 cycle" constantly and have no power. New plug, check! Removed and inspected exhaust port. check! Carb looks good and is clean. Air filter is clean. One question I have is what is the purpose of the canister connected to the exhaust, and can it be bypassed? Could it be associated to my issue? Also, I leak oil from my air cleaner box. Like I said, until about a month ago, my scooter ran great. Any help would be greatly appreciated!