Carburetor Cleaning And Removing

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JerkLife

Carburetor Cleaning And Removing

Post by JerkLife »

Greetings Everyone/Anyone

I'm looking for some help

I own a 2014 Roughhouse It's Got About 2300 miles on it. Everything stock, besides the battery, previous owner said he had to change it? (I'm thinking it's the voltage regulator)

As of recent i'm having an issue where the bike would turn on with no problems (both kickstart and electric start) but upon giving it gas it would sort of just stall and turn off on me. or ride for about 4 feet and turn off on me.

Also having an issue where I have to constantly charge my battery about every 3 days, seems odd to me that I have to charge my battery so often.

I took it to a mechanics and got a complete tune up meaning the oil was changed, the air filter was changed, I got my front pads replaced, and spark plug was replaced. any who, after the tune up my issues are still persistent. I've done a few searches online and have come up with a few theories.

Before I list my theories I would like to point out that this is my first Scooter, I do not know anything about mopeds/scooters so please don't butcher me.

Please and Thank You

Theory #1) is that i just have to clean my Carburetor. I'm hoping this is the issue because it's the least expensive solution. I was hoping someone can link me to an informative video or something online that I can reference on how to remove the carb from the scooter and clean it out properly. Also Wanted to point out that the owner of the Mechanics Shop mentioned that it could possibly be the electric choke, after googling i learned that, thats something to do with the Carburetor.

Theory #2) Since i'm also having an issue where I have to charge my battery so often, someone mentioned to me on a previous forum post that I should change my Voltage Regulator/Rectifier? Anyone to confirm this?

And My 3rd Theory) The Mechanics mentioned that it could possibly be the Stator or again Electric Choke, Btw I ran out of there as fast as i could. I paid $320 for that damn tune up, I knew they were going to rob me for this issue, i figured i'd attempt to fix it myself before being robbed again.

If You Have Read Through All Of This THANK YOU! and if you could offer some help THANK YOU some more.
Turby3pots

Post by Turby3pots »

Oil changes don't apply to the roughhouse (or any 2-strokes)

For $320, take it back and complain the problem wasn't fixed.

Have been using crap gas? Mine would only run on 93 octane chevron.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Could have been the 90cc of gear oil that is drained by undoing a bolt on the rear transmission.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
JerkLife

Post by JerkLife »

Turby3pots wrote:Oil changes don't apply to the roughhouse (or any 2-strokes)

I brought it in mainly for the tune up, they charged for the parts and what not so that's why it was so expensive. Plus "Labor Charges".

Btw I use the most expensive gas, Super Premium or however it's called.

Regardless of my overpriced Tune up.

Anyone have any idea what can be causing either or of my problems?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

You can barely get a pack of smokes for $320 in NYC! :P
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

JerkLife wrote:

Btw I use the most expensive gas, Super Premium or however it's called

Total waste of money. That 2-sroke engine loves 87 octane. Just because it is higher octane it does not make it better. Just different properties. Higher octane doesn't ignite as fast. In a high-compression engine it is important.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

JerkLife,

The battery to charging could be the Stator, Voltage regulator or bad battery. Start by using a voltage meter on DC voltage check by putting the negative on the negative terminal and the positive on the positive and see your voltage at idle, it should be 12.75-13 volts DC. Rev the engine to 5000rpm it should be around 14-14.5 volts. If it is the bad battery, if not then voltage regulator or stator. Change your meter to AC voltage put the negative lead anywhere on the frame and the positive on the white wire into the voltage regulator it should be 60V AC next check the yellow wire should also be 60V AC. If not then a bad stator if it is then a bad voltage regulator.

Hope for the battery or regulator the are both plug and play. The stator is a little but more work and takes a few tools to get to. Let me know how it goes.

As far as the carb goes it could be a cleaning. If it starts its probably not the enricher. Here is a link to a carb cleaning tutorial: http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/3 ... r-cleaning
Look around that site and you can learn a lot about maintaining your scooter so you won't be paying $320 for a mechanic to not fix your scooter.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Something that has plagued me in the past (and presently) is water in the gas. With ethanol fuels water is an issue. Just a small amount in the tank will give the symptoms you have described for the running issue. Drain the tank, lines, and replace the fuel filter with a reusable filter. Put fresh gas in and cross your fingers.

As for the battery, as it has already been stated, stator, wiring, bad battery, etc. its just a matter of tracking down the problem. Could also be the fuse that is on the battery.

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-In-lin ... er&catId=1
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
JerkLife

Post by JerkLife »

Pinkscooter wrote:JerkLife,

The battery to charging could be the Stator, Voltage regulator or bad battery. Start by using a voltage meter on DC voltage check by putting the negative on the negative terminal and the positive on the positive and see your voltage at idle, it should be 12.75-13 volts DC. Rev the engine to 5000rpm it should be around 14-14.5 volts. If it is the bad battery, if not then voltage regulator or stator. Change your meter to AC voltage put the negative lead anywhere on the frame and the positive on the white wire into the voltage regulator it should be 60V AC next check the yellow wire should also be 60V AC. If not then a bad stator if it is then a bad voltage regulator.

Hope for the battery or regulator the are both plug and play. The stator is a little but more work and takes a few tools to get to. Let me know how it goes.

As far as the carb goes it could be a cleaning. If it starts its probably not the enricher. Here is a link to a carb cleaning tutorial: http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/3 ... r-cleaning
Look around that site and you can learn a lot about maintaining your scooter so you won't be paying $320 for a mechanic to not fix your scooter.
Thanks So Much For Your Reply, I Feel Like You Were The Only One Who Answered My Questions Throughly.

Before I Read Your Reply However I Did Clean Out My Carb, That Fixed My Startup Issues.

I Am Still Having Problems With My Battery Discharging Very Quickly. I'm Going To Purchase A Voltage Meter And Probably A Regulator. The Previous Owner Said He Had To Replace The Battery So There's A Third Party Battery In There.

Also While Cleaning Out The Carb I Messed With The Idle Mixture Screw So I Have to Adjust That As Well.

Do you know where i can get an inexpensive Rev Counter? I Need To Purchase So many tools :cry:
Pinkscooter

Post by Pinkscooter »

I'm glad I could help.

The battery discharge could be a short somewhere or a bad battery the bad battery is the easy fix, chasing a short can be a long process. A cheap source for batteries is Apex Batteries http://www.apexbattery.com/pgo-25cc-big ... ttery.html this is the one for the Roughhouse I just bought 2 one for each scoot and they work great, they come ready to go out of the box.

I just bought this Tachometer from Amazon. It works great and can be installed temporarily or permanently.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010N ... UTF8&psc=1] Tach. Tuning in the air/fuel mixture is a fun job but when its right it will run great.

Creating links on this site is impossible. What's the trick?