Malossi cylinder and variator upgrade

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

afriendofcheese

Malossi cylinder and variator upgrade

Post by afriendofcheese »

(Reposted from the General forum to give this slow little corner of the board some acion)

Being the financially irresponsible adult that I am, I decided to go ahead and schedule a variator and cylinder kit upgrade. Sportique Scooters in Denver has a special running until the 2nd of February where I can get both done for $500 and I know I'd be kicking myself later on down the road if I didn't do it. The Rattler goes in the shop tomorrow afternoon and will be out Saturday!
I'll post the improvements.

For a general comparison-
Top speed: 37 MPH on flat, 42 on slope (indicated)
Acceleration: 0-20 MPH in 2-3 seconds(ish) , 20-30, 4 seconds(ish), 30-42
sluggish(ish)
MPG: 70
FLMINI1048

Re: Malossi cylinder and variator upgrade

Post by FLMINI1048 »

afriendofcheese wrote:(Reposted from the General forum to give this slow little corner of the board some acion)

Being the financially irresponsible adult that I am...I can get both done for $500 and I know I'd be kicking myself later on down the road if I didn't do it.
Would it be cheaper and faster to just trade it in and get a Rattler 110??
Have a great day!

Mike
afriendofcheese

Um, not at all. I bought mine for $2200 total which is about $500-$600 cheaper than the 110. Also, in CO, 50cc's require nothing more than a $5.25 registration that is good for 3 years, plus you can park them on sidewalks. A 110 would require VIN verification, title, registration fees, plates, both a written and driving test (for a motorcycle endorsement). That would be much more hassle and more expensive than kitting it.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

afriendofcheese wrote:Um, not at all. I bought mine for $2200 total which is about $500-$600 cheaper than the 110. Also, in CO, 50cc's require nothing more than a $5.25 registration that is good for 3 years, plus you can park them on sidewalks. A 110 would require VIN verification, title, registration fees, plates, both a written and driving test (for a motorcycle endorsement). That would be much more hassle and more expensive than kitting it.
Touche'!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

afriendofcheese wrote:Um, not at all. I bought mine for $2200 total which is about $500-$600 cheaper than the 110. Also, in CO, 50cc's require nothing more than a $5.25 registration that is good for 3 years, plus you can park them on sidewalks. A 110 would require VIN verification, title, registration fees, plates, both a written and driving test (for a motorcycle endorsement). That would be much more hassle and more expensive than kitting it.
Sometimes as they say. "less is more!"
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

afriendofcheese wrote: in CO, 50cc's require nothing more than a $5.25 registration that is good for 3 years, plus you can park them on sidewalks. A 110 would require VIN verification, title, registration fees, plates, both a written and driving test (for a motorcycle endorsement). That would be much more hassle and more expensive than kitting it.
Good point! FL doesn't have those advantages for the 50cc scoots so it wouldn't make much sense here but it seems that CO is much more encouraging of scooters. Parking on sidewalks? Now that's nice!
Have a great day!

Mike
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

All good points... except any scooter moving at more than 30mph without plates can get you in hot water with the police. I guess the cop would have to be bored to enforce that but there's a reason they get restricted. Add too much extra speed and it brings attention you don't need on an unregistered vehicle. I'm sure there's a few on this board that say take the MSF course to learn to ride better, it's not too much more work to get your MC lic after that. Just wanted to express another point of view on this... to me 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

nissanman wrote:All good points... except any scooter moving at more than 30mph without plates can get you in hot water with the police. I guess the cop would have to be bored to enforce
That's why I always carry a spare doughnut under the seat. "Honestly officer, I'm just reaching for my insurance card." :rofl:
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
afriendofcheese

Just picked the Ratller up at the shop. The only difference I could feel on the ride home was that the 0-20 acceleration was much faster. After that, it feels about the same as before. Of course I'm aware the new parts need to be broken in, so hopefully after a hundred miles or so I'll feel good about all the money I just dropped on it!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Money or not... ride and you will feel better :D
afriendofcheese

nissanman wrote:Money or not... ride and you will feel better :D
You're right about that! Had a nice couple rides today before the Super Bowl an I'm loving the 0-30 acceleration!
afriendofcheese

Ok, a little update. Since the Super Bowl I've put about 400 more miles on it (gotta love Denver Winters!) and according to the shop it's broken in. I can't accurately time the acceleration but on a flat, it will climb to a top end of around 50. It doesn't get from 40-50 super fast, but it gets there. I've had it at 55 indicated on a slope. Uphill acceleration is still pretty sluggish and tops out at about 32 WOT on a steep slope.
I'm still getting the same (70) MPG, and got a high of 80 a couple tanks ago.

7g rollers were put on it with the new kit. Should I request different weights for any reason?

Next up, Prima pipe!