Considering Selling My Ruckus For A RH50 Sport

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Grubber

Considering Selling My Ruckus For A RH50 Sport

Post by Grubber »

Hi all. As the title suggests, I currently own a 2014 Honda Ruckus but am not overly thrilled with its performance. I just bought it back in September with just 200 miles on it, so it is still in the break-in phase, and I've been babying it for the most part. I have gotten it up to WOT a couple of times, and have only been able to max out at 35 on flats (gps verified). I bought the Ruck as an alternative to my truck going back and forth to work on nice days (only about a 7 mile commute), but the roads are mainly 40 mph. From everything I read, I expected to get right about 40 on the stock Ruck (I'm not a big mod guy and expect to keep whatever I have mostly stock), so obviously I have been a bit disappointed so far. Only from poking around online have I just learned of the Genuine brand, specifically the Roughhouse 50 Sport and it has certainly peaked my interest. (And the best news is that in Mass. where I live the RH50 is still designated "moped", so I wouldn't need to jump through the hoops that the Ruckus "Limited Use" distinction dictates). I am wondering if you all could share your experience with your RH50's? I am about 190 and like I said, would mostly look to drive it about 7-10 miles at a time. I would certainly look to de-restrict upon getting one, and wondered if by de-restricting and going WOT after break-in if anybody has found any issues with shorter life? Or if the bike seems to handle the faster speeds/higher revs that the de-restricting allows just fine? Also, anybody that is around the same weight, just curious what your stock, de-restricted RH50 typically cruises on flats at? Lastly, how has everyone found the reliability factor of these machines to be? Any and all good/bad opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'm not a big fan of the Ruckus, but I think you should give it a chance. Wait until it is fully broken in, and look into some of the mods you can do to get it faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLgUkMzsUWw

The Ruckus is water coooled, 4 stroke. Crank bearings living in an oil bath make those motors last a very long time. The Ruckus is probably the most modified scooter in the history of scooters. Plenty of information and parts out there.

I owned a Roughhouse briefly. I bought it with 100 miles on it, cleaned out the gas tank, tuned it up and sold it after 200 miles. I think they are great scooters, but I prefer the longevity of a 4 stroke.

Won't you take a big hit getting rid of the Ruckus so soon?
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

hey, thanks for the reply! the crazy thing is, where I live a Ruckus like mine with under 250 miles on it will go for $2,000+, so financially won't really be a big deal. the big benefit of savings could actually be the RH not needing a plate or insurance, whereas where I live the Ruckus requires both.

I hear you on the liquid-cooled 4T being reliable and close to indestructible. The great praise on the Ruckus engine is what really sealed the deal for me when I bought it, but now I'm just not really looking to drop more $$ in a 50cc to get it up to 40 mph. I was fully expecting to be at 40mph stock and be happy with that. From everything I have read regarding the RH, people have reported to be very pleased with the RH acceleration and top end speed of 40+ (derestricted). My biggest concern as you kind of alluded to is the longevity and reliability of the engine in the RH. I am really hopeful to gather more information on that aspect of the machine.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I weigh a bit over 200. Even with the RH having only 100 miles I was able to hit 45 on the speedo fairly easy. The acceleration left a lot to be desired, but that can be tuned fairly cheap. I put 4 to 6 thousand miles a year on my 50cc, so I stick to a 4 stroke. I traded my first Yamaha C3 when it hit 20,000. I picked up my current one with 1,700 a little over two years ago. It now has 15,000 on it. Nothing but regular maintnance and performance upgrades to the CVT and airbox.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

I absolutely love my RH. Bought it last year at this time and had a blast all winter and summer with it. Your not buying a Harley lol, if speed and raw horsepower are your desire then thumbs down...if fun and economical transportation with a bit more manly look than a Vespa is your desire-yes!

I'm 6'1" and go about 250 on a good day when beer intake is low, my RH sits between 40-45 with throttle wide open depending on road grade. I even throw my kids on the back and will hit 40/41 as long as no hills.

Cheers,

Matt
Sit long, talk much,laugh often.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

FreeDivr wrote: I'm 6'1" and go about 250 on a good day when beer intake is low, my RH sits between 40-45 with throttle wide open
hahaha. classic description. Thanks for giving me your feedback. I am happy to hear you are having a great experience with it. I am definitely not looking for Harley power or speed (boy wouldn't that be nice without insurance! haha). I am mainly just looking not to be a TOTAL roadblock like I seem to be on the Ruck when I top out at 35. New England drivers aren't too patient around here.

Have you done anything aside from just having it de-restricted to get that speed? Also, any kind of reliability questions at all by anyone? The thing I loved about the Ruck was how reliable and indestructible it seems to be... I really don't know much at all about the Genuine, and 2T in general, and I have found it more difficult to find as much info about them. Very much appreciate the info!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Genuine is a quality company from everything that I have heard. This is something I have even heard from folks that work at dealerships and I have really never heard a negative word about their interactions with the company. They have a 2-year warranty on their scoots and have good service when the warranty is involved.

The RH has a great reputation overall. The horizontal Minarelli engine powering the Roughhouse has been around for several decades now and the body design has been around in the US since 2006 (originally put out as the Black Cat 50cc and Rattler 50cc) but I would assume longer in the Asian market. I have a Black Cat and it is very easy to work on, nothing too technical at all, and it definitely has better power and a higher top end than a Honda Ruckus. It will do 45+ indicated on the speedometer on level ground (I am 5'10" and 220lbs). I use mine to commute to and from work. I don't know what the highest mileage Roughhouse is on this forum, but they are durable bikes if they are not abused.

IF the economics of getting rid of the Ruckus and buying a Roughhouse work for you, I don't believe that you will be disappointed with the purchase in either the short or long term. Best advice that I can give you would be to find a local dealer and take one for a test ride. Better yet, try the Roughhouse Sport 50cc, the Buddy 125 or 170, or a Hooligan 170 and see what you like best.
KooK

Post by KooK »

I use my th to commute to the French Quarter and tool around New Orleans a bit. But if 40 mph is a sticking point. Mine at wide open will just barely hit 41mph indicated. It has been derestricted and I put in sliders for just a bit better performance. Everything else is stock. I too am 5'10" and weigh 225. But with full clothing loaded down closer to 240+. Most roads I travel are 35mph and road conditions suck here! So I'm not too worried about speed. But it is flat here. Hills would kill the rh.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Thanks for the good feedback guys. Wondering how everyone's RH have held up? I am looking for something that will be reliable and aside from routine maintenance, has a good reputation for staying strong. Interesting the speed difference amongst owners of similar sizes.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Genuine products have a great reputation overall for being reliable, affordable scooters. As I previously mentioned, their bikes are generally very simple designs with proven engines, drive-trains, etc. The Buddy 50 and 125 in particular have great reputations with many riders reporting 20K-30K miles on their scooters or more and no real issues. The RH shares many engine and suspension parts with the Buddy 50, I would expect that if you bought one it should last you for many years and miles of dependable use.

From what I have seen on here, most RH bikes seem to be able to hit around 45+ MPH indicated on the speedometer on level ground and I have seen a few folks on the forum claim to hit 50 MPH indicated on the speedometer on level ground with the newer Roughhouse Sport 50. Keep in mind that scooter speedometers normally read around 10-12% higher than actual speed however. And from previous postings, it appears that Kook got a bit of a dud as far as the engine and top speed, being atypically slower than most RH's.
KooK

Post by KooK »

But yes. Even the dealer said I just got a slow one.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

KooK wrote:Thanks :P

Yeah, no offense meant and it isn't a slam on your self-worth! 😜
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

cummingsjc wrote: The Buddy 50 and 125 in particular have great reputations with many riders reporting 20K-30K miles on their scooters or more and no real issues.
I'd love to meet a Genuine 50 owner who has 20k to 30k miles on their scooter with the original top end and crank seals.....

Where are they?
KooK

Post by KooK »

cummingsjc wrote:
KooK wrote:Thanks :P

Yeah, no offense meant and it isn't a slam on your self-worth! 😜
I'm offended!!!! Just kidding!!! And my self worth sucks. Even though I'm pretty awesome P
Therealslimshaggy

Re:

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

DeeDee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:43 am
cummingsjc wrote: The Buddy 50 and 125 in particular have great reputations with many riders reporting 20K-30K miles on their scooters or more and no real issues.
I'd love to meet a Genuine 50 owner who has 20k to 30k miles on their scooter with the original top end and crank seals.....

Where are they?
I’m here, not to revive an old post but can add my experience on the roughhouse approaching 20k miles. Most pistons will shatter around the 10k miles mark. They are rated at 6k or less but usually last 10k miles. Mind shattered at 11k and another guys on YouTube at 12k. I’m on my second top end and piston. I’m approaching 20k but there is a problem. The wrist pin bearing after put in is not as tight. The reason is the inner diameter on the connecting rod has also taken some wear and tear and so that circle is now slightly larger resulting in a not so tight wrist pin bearing post new top end install. It kind of rattles now had a tiny bit of up n down play on the new piston so im guessing this piston top end won’t last as long and a 3rd top end rebuilt would be pointless with too much play and not worth the time money and effort to go maybe 1000 miles before something goes wrong. I haven’t touched the bottom end seals or bearings. I could take apart the bottom end and continue to rebuild but it’s too much work splitting bottom end cases. I rather buy a slightly used engine or universals parts mineralli clone. Also funny enough considering doing a ruckus 50 engine swap into my roughhouse. I need longevity more than top speed. I scoot 20k miles a year and tired of rebuilds already. Maybe the ruckus engine can last me 40k miles without rebuild and 2 years of scooting.
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500
DeeDee

Re: Considering Selling My Ruckus For A RH50 Sport

Post by DeeDee »

If you want the best of all worlds, find a 50cc, 3 valve, liquid cooled, fuel injected engine out of a Yamaha C3 or Zuma and put that in your RH. It will take a 130/90-10 rear tire and the engines are known to last 50,000 miles or more.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Re: Considering Selling My Ruckus For A RH50 Sport

Post by sc00ter »

Hey Therealslimshaggy, what 2-stroke oil are you using? Is it recommended for injection oil systems? And, are you using a expansion type exhaust? We have RH50's like crazy in my area and all have over 15,000 miles on them and still going strong. And the Buddy 50 uses the same motor and I see them with over 20,000 miles, still going strong. None of these have been rebuilt. I can only assume that your RH is newer and perhaps they tightened the emissions even tighter on them? Or you have a assembly flaw, like the crank isn't centered correctly? Did you investigate any before slapping a new top end back on?

Something weird is going on.
DBRoughhouse

Re: Re:

Post by DBRoughhouse »

Removed post