Stolen RH recovered, ignition damage help

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Boar

Stolen RH recovered, ignition damage help

Post by Boar »

My scooter was stolen on July 4th, and recovered this past weekend. I went to the impound lot, where it was towed, to see if I could drive it home but the thieves really did a number on the ignition switch, and broke the steering lock. The front fairing is also completely toast. The gas cap and seat storage locks are both still in usable condition.

My question is can I do this repair at home or do I need to take it to a dealer? What does this entail? Also I am guessing that I'll have to use the old key for everything but the ignition switch, right? Do you guys know of a good place to get replacement fairings?

Thanks for your help!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've had the exact same thing happen to me.

The front ignition comes apart in the front fairing with two screws. You will need to loosen and move the panel facing your knees (where the ignition is) to have access to those screws. The ignition is connected to the motor by an electric connection, so all I had to do was to pull apart the connection, and hook it up to the new ignition switch.

It's not very difficult. The hard part for me was getting all the panels off for access.

They do sell a ignition set where you can get all three locks on the same key. You'd have to replace the gas cap, the pet carrier lock, and the ignition.

Your local scooter shop can order you the panels and parts you need.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
RoaringTodd

Been there done that

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've had the exact same thing happen to me.

The ignition is attached to the steering stem in the front fairing with two bolts. You will need to loosen and move the panel facing your knees (where the ignition is) to have access to those bolts. The ignition is connected to the motor by an electric connection, so all I had to do was to pull apart the connection, and hook it up to the new ignition switch.

It's not very difficult. The hard part for me was getting all the panels off for access.

They do sell a ignition set where you can get all three locks on the same key. You'd have to replace the gas cap, the pet carrier lock, and the ignition.

Boar

Post by Boar »

RoaringTodd wrote:I've had the exact same thing happen to me.

The front ignition comes apart in the front fairing with two screws. You will need to loosen and move the panel facing your knees (where the ignition is) to have access to those screws. The ignition is connected to the motor by an electric connection, so all I had to do was to pull apart the connection, and hook it up to the new ignition switch.

Thank you RoaringTodd! Just the information I was looking for. Doesn't sound too terrible... nothing an afternoon and a six pack can't fix. Do you happen to remember where you ordered the ignition from? I looked around online and nearly everything was cheap looking generic chinese "replacements".

I thought my scooter would be safe with a cover and a really thick cable lock... guess not. Ordered the Fahgettaboudit chain/lock so that should hopefully be stronger this time.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Not sure where you should order from, but the part number for a complete lockset (ignition, seat lock, gas cap, and fresh keys) is P25510010004
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

honi soit qui mal y pense
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Try your local shop first.