Variator splines gone

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KX_Larry

Variator splines gone

Post by KX_Larry »

Pulled the cover and now I have three problems.

First, the drive gear for the kickstarter is sheared flat from rubbing on the ratchet bolt. The splines on the drive face of the variator are gone. Lastly, I cannot get the variator to come off. It's loose and moves forward a few mils but the outside drive face won't pop off the last part of the drive shaft. At this point I'm ready to grind it off.

Hopefully, the drive shaft it okay or I have even bigger problems.

Modifying this scooter has been a PIA.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Why was your kick start ratchet rubbing in the first place, enough to grind that down? You may have to clean/regrease the pinion gear which is supposed to extend and retract as needed when you use the kick starter.

If the splines on the front variator are roasted, better hope that the crankshaft is ok. Usually one kills the other, so fingers crossed.
KX_Larry

Post by KX_Larry »

It was a combination of the nut on the variator coming loose and/or I rode off and the stand caught the kick starter and pushed it down some and i didn't realize it. Still not sure why the splines on the variator are gone as it dodn't move off the drive shaft.

I had to gently file the drive shaft to get a few burs off so I could remove the outside variator plate. Now the new variator plate and ratchet bolt wont go on. End of splines don't look too bad. I may try and use a small v file to see if I can clean the splines up. If not, off to the shop because I don't have the time or the desire to split the case.
KX_Larry

Post by KX_Larry »

An $8.00 needle file set from Harbor freight solved my problem. Slowly filed each groove on the end of the splines and the the plate and nut now go on.

Now it just needs to stay on. Torqued to spec.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I ran into this recently on a Yamaha C3. I had to drill holes in the outer variator face and use a gear puller to remove it. I spent an hour on the crankshaft with a set of needle files cleaning up the splines. $13 later for a new outer variator face later, and all was good. Someone before me had removed the variator and re-installed the kickstart gear sloppily. A couple of fins were also broke on the variator face.