Must do upgrades on RH 50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Therealslimshaggy

Must do upgrades on RH 50

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

Having ridden lots of better scooters over the years I feel there are three things you must do to get a borderline garbage handling scooter stock to acceptable handling.

Brakes and tires- this one’s a no brainer. I’m surprised there is anything made today in this day and age with a 1 piston brake caliper. There is. It’s called a roughhouse. You’ll want to swap on a ncy caliper asap. Not everything ncy makes is amazing. In fact some things ncy makes is not beneficial or reliable at all. The good news is this 2p caliper they make is a massive improvement and worth it and the only option for improved braking. I believe it works on both 10 and 12 inch roughhouse models excluding the sport model. Tires. Anything is an improvement over stock. You don’t need off-road tires. You need good gripping tires. It’s a fat tire scooter. So even say slicks will do decent off-road and be totally acceptable if you doing say 20-30% of your riding off-road or on gravel because it’s a fat tire scooter. If your on 12 inch rims your in for a special treat. Not sure if you can get them in USA but might get them shipped in abroad. Michelin makes the best tire in 12 inch size called the power pure 2ct. It’s a dual compound tire. Sticky sides and hard center. Also one of the lightest tires ever made in this size range. Rotating weight even 1 pound per tire is massive when considering acceleration and top speed on a scooter. The added grip and longevity is a bonus. Vespa and from riders run this tire. If your on 10 inch the Michelin bopper is ok

Headlight- the roughhouse has a funky one. One that doesn’t help much at night. One that attracts dogs unlike any other scooter because dogs think your scooter has eyes and a dog face and so the take chase ready to bite and fight pulling owners holding leashes to their @ss. You can swap in a plug and play led light.
Attachments
F71C475B-F847-4B8A-8892-081329EF5B33.jpeg
3B0D9C94-A937-4090-932B-6DC32FC8D09C.jpeg
9E208DAA-3326-4AD4-AEDE-EB075D1DF66A.png
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500
zino

Re: Must do upgrades on RH 50

Post by zino »

the sport is a up grade over the stock roughouse
My wife has the sport
It has the better brakes and noticeably better shock on the back
I run Heidenau K 80s on my scoot theses are better than the on road off road shinkos and her Maxxi street tires.

The variator needs a upgrade it does not get full belt travel
lNCY golden variator for 35 bucks is a must do upgrade for spunkier take off the only weak link with it is the variator glides the Polini glides are meatier and work well you can use the stock back plate with the variator
Therealslimshaggy

Re: Must do upgrades on RH 50

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

The sport is nice. It has the same caliper as the buddy 125/150/170. I also have a buddy 170. What I can say say is the ncy caliper made for the roughhouse despite being a two piston caliper with one piston on each side stops better faster and with less force that the 2p caliper I have on my buddy 170i which I think is the same caliper on the roughhouse sport.

The sport shock is nice. Been trying to find it for sale oem but can’t find it listed on any website. I’m guessing the price would be well under 200 bucks or less than that ncy they are selling for the RH which doesn’t even have a gas canister.

I did run the ncy gold variation. Maybe it’s ok if you run a bbk or have the perfect belt. For me I kept snapping belts. 5 belts. Then the ncy rollers flat spotted. Quickly. Oem rollers do to. But still the oem rollers kind of work long term flatspotted. I never had the restriction washer in the oem setup so after going back to an oem setup from the ncy setup I can say take off was better with the oem setup. The best I could get the ncy to work was with a malossi belt that was skinnier. Take off was about stock or slightly slower but top speed improved. The ncy kit with oem belt had terrible acceleration. These are just my results with a stock engine. Also on 10 inch wheels.
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500