Got My Rat' last night, a few 2-stroke questions.

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ray Knobs

Got My Rat' last night, a few 2-stroke questions.

Post by Ray Knobs »

This thing is so freakin cool. The 1st thing i am going to do is raise the bars a little to get them off my knees. I am 6'-1 and have to ride with my feet back. This is what i am going to use.
It's made for a sled but the bars are the same. All of my 2 stroke experience has come from snowmobiles. I had a similar problem on my current sled and went up 6" (useful when standing). This is only 2.5 inches which should be perfect. Has anyone else done anything like this or just bar swaps.

How long do you let you machine warm up in the morning? I am used to having a choke and running in weather below 32 degrees. My last 4 stroke scoot i would fire up and go, no wait.

The key? Did PGO change the type of key they ship with there scooters. The plastic on it is huge. I have to stick it into the gas cap on an angle to get it under the bar and it's hard to turn in the ignition due to clearance. I took a hack saw and cut off the top portion of plastic and drilled a new hole for a key ring.

The horn on this thing is deafening, i can't wait to scare the crap out of someone with it. I also can't wait till i break it in a little more so i can see where the top end is. I am sticking to 1/2 throttle and varying speeds for a awhile.

1st mod = new off road tires
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

those risers are cool. i have never seen anything like that before. i also have no need for them and maybe that is why. lol i am 6' and i have no clearance issues on the rattler

i dont really let mine warm up. i just take it easy for the first mile or so. aircooled engines warm up fast.

i also noticed the key being big. i removed that silly rear bar and made a rack that my gas cap fits nicely around. i also just got used to not having any room around the ignition when i turn the key. after a month you will forget all abuot how big that key is
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

If i don't let it warm up it will bog when i give it throttle.
I suspect the idle will have to be adjusted when i get some more miles on it. It seems low right now.

I might try to rotate the bars forward a little. They are tipped back at a slight angle.

or i could go with 8" ape hanger
Attachments
89024512_tp.jpg
89024512_tp.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I have been hard on mine...I will probably suffer later not following burn in rules. I usually let mine warm up for 2-3 minutes, I just turn it on and walk off , get ready and come back. If I take off without doing that it does sputter for a bit.

What are you rising up exactly? This may be a stupid questions just asking. i am 6' 1" and about 220 and I have had it up to close to 60 rattler mph downhill, 55 on flat.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

The riser lifts the handle bars up. When i turn they won't hit my knees if i have my legs in front of me. The bars clamp into the riser, then where the bars used to be clamp onto the nub of the riser.
denskies

Post by denskies »

I let mine warm up for about 2 minutes before I take it out, and it runs great. If i dont warm it up it seems sluggish and Im still breaking it in so i dont want to mess up anything.

Also I have bigger bars on mine and im 6' tall. They are great.
Attachments
bars.jpg
bars.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Silver Rattler buck ten
Custom bars
clutch spring kit
21 mm carb
custom front turn signals

Soon to be "the BATtler"
pattyman5000

Post by pattyman5000 »

I'm 6'2" and never got the risers.

I sit a little further back on the seat and put my feet up on the front pegs - chopper style. If you haven't bought the risers yet (I was almost sold on them), I'd give that a shot beforehand!
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

yeah, i am getting used to where i can put my legs, either together or further apart than my last scoot.

now they might just be a style add on
genuinedraft8

Post by genuinedraft8 »

They say that with 2-strokes, it's imperative to let it warm up. Technical reason? I have no idea. I just do it because I'd rather not have a problematic engine later on.

Adjusting the idle is super easy. They even made the idler screw a thumb screw. When I bought my PMX, it was idling real low. So low, in fact, that it would die out if I let it sit there. Now that I have the idle adjusted just right, it acts as though there's a choke on the thing. (i.e. it revs high until it warms up and then returns to normal idle)

Blake
beanoil

Post by beanoil »

genuinedraft8 wrote:They say that with 2-strokes, it's imperative to let it warm up. Technical reason? I have no idea. I just do it because I'd rather not have a problematic engine later on.

Blake
Warming up a two stroke is critical. It doesn't take long: a few minutes while you suit up and get your helmet on is sufficient. Then, take it easy for the first minute or so before nailing it. The piston and cylinder are not made from the same metals. Pistons expand faster than the cylinder does. If you start off cold, and run hard, you can cause a 4 corner seizure (cold seizure) where the piston actually expands enough that piston to cylinder wall clearance becomes nil, scuffing the piston. Check out http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/pist ... _guide.htm
for some photos for examples.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

If you rotate the bars forward that will bring the ends up, & you may find that you then don't need the risers. That worked for me.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

6mm Allen wrench, you'll have to take the cross bar to off to tighten back down but you can put the bar back on after