Getting "lost" in Angeles National Forest

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Getting "lost" in Angeles National Forest

Post by ericalm »

I've been doing most of my recreational riding with groups the past several months and have been intending to ride off into the horizon by myself. It was overcast and cool today but I finally had a good afternoon for a solo ride. I departed around 3 but wanted to get home before dark (dinnertime!) but that was plenty of time to head up into the Angeles National Forest. My route took me across the Western edge via Little Tujunga Rd. to Santa Clarita. It was about 60 miles round trip; pretty good for an afternoon of winding mountain roads.

These are a combination of stills from the video camera strapped to my chest and my Sony digital. I've also been goofing with a bunch of vintage cameras I've acquired lately and brought along an Argus Cosina 35 to test on this ride. Interested in seeing how those come out; not even sure the camera works.

Full set here.

Route Map

Not today!

Sheer rock face on one side. A serious plunge on the other.

GPS

Last edited by ericalm on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KABarash

Re: Getting "lost" in Angeles National Forest

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote: Image
GPS
Guessing
Positional
System ??
:P

Sometimes I think I need to keep a paper map in my 'pet carrier' Yesterday I actually got to the point that I really had no idea exactly where I was (and only actually 10 miles from home) on some back roads. I knew which direction I needed to head from approx where I 'thought' I was.....
THAT'S how most of my rides are, for example, I head west, turn north, turn east, then guess I'm "HERE-ish" then head west, then south, then east...... Sooooooooooo much fun to "get lost" sometimes!!
Being a Land Surveyor, life long 'Boy' Scout and having spent most of my life camping, hiking &etc I apparently have a compass "built into my nose" as my kids say.......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Very cool

How was the bike riding up in the mountains? Throttle response etc.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:Very cool

How was the bike riding up in the mountains? Throttle response etc.
Great! I didn't go up very high on this run, though.

Hopefully, I'll have a new Stella to ride up to Wrightwood in a couple weeks. I'll be going through a lot of altitudes that weekend. Even the GTSs from lower elevations were bogging down last year.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
listless

awesome

Post by listless »

Awesome.

I can't wait to be able to do the same in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts and into Southern Vermont.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Wow - great shots and what looks like a great ride!
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Love the photos! Very inspiring!