Chesapeake Bay Loop

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Chesapeake Bay Loop

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I finally did it, 634 mile loop of the Chesapeake Bay in 2 days. Another MB member, "texepictetus" rode as well. It was a trip I've been long anticipating, but was waiting on new tires and a modular helmet. I got both, the Mrs. was out of town on a business trip, and the weekend weather was looking picture perfect. It was cold at night and early, but soon warmed up both days into the high 70s with plenty of sunshine. We left DC and headed NE through the suburban mess and dipped through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895), through northern Maryland and turned south along the Eastern Shore at Elkton. We then rolled through Dover for a quick lunch, the Delaware beach towns and Ocean City, MD. We made it to our night stop in Pocomoke City, MD as the cold and dark started to set in and got a much needed steak and an ice cold blue moon.

Day 2 started with a heavy fog on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, but sun broke it up by the time we got to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. The crossing was epic, it was like crossing an ocean, you couldn't see the land on the other side. We stopped at the visitors center for our official bridge patch. From there, we rolled through Norfolk for a late breakfast and kept on trucking through a few more bridges and tunnels, then across Yorktown, the "middle neck", and the "northern neck" of Virginia. We crossed briefly into Maryland for some more pleasant riding conditions as we approached the homestretch, finally crossing the 495 bridge back to Alexandria.

It was a long 2-days of riding, an awesome time, and if I do it again, I'll probably skip Ocean City and use that time towards the Scotland Ferry and Colonial Williamsburg. That was on the original route, but we cut it short to get home before it was too dark. I should probably get a windshield for long trips like that, as much as I don't like the windshield everyday, it will relieve a lot of the fatigue. Best part of the bridge, the Ches Bay Bridge!

checking the camera mounted on the headset

in front of the State Capitol in Dover

one of the numerous tunnels on our trip

a little bit of history and information

"texepictetus" entering the first span

rest stop on the bridge

doing my best impersonation of Trackpete, minus the backflip!

"texepictetus"

early morning fog

waiting for the road to re-open after a wreck
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
(I love the lady walking by in the background of the one... looks like she might have snapped a picture of your scoots perhaps?)
I hope to someday do the loop too... I've done it in a car a couple times, but it would be a whole new experience on the bikes.
Colonial Williamsburg is a great stop, I've been there several times. It's best around this time of year because they have special ghost tours around Halloween (more stuff/longer than their usual one) BUT they only do them at night, so you would have to time your trip for that and probably stay somewhere nearby for the night. My best memory from one of the trips down there was being chased by a turkey at one of the "farmers homestead" dealies, my stepsister was yelling out "You're getting chased by Thanksgiving dinner!"...guess you had to be there.

Quick question, where and how do you mount the GoPro on your scoot?
I was going to give ours s try with the suction cup mount, but the only place, I saw, to put it is over the instrument panel... and idk if that's a great idea.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Nice ride guys!..Good pics ,too.

Yeah, I used to run a windscreen just in the winter. I don't care for them either, but they are nice on long trips or in the cold.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?