Only in New England

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Only in New England

Post by siobhan »

Took a nice ride out from Providence to Putnam, CT (right across the border) to meet up with a friend for a video editing lesson. He's been a great mentor for my woods riding and it was the least I could do to help him out. Plus he's got some great video of me falling off over and over.

On the way back I took my time on backroads. Thought I'd share some.

Cady Pond spillover, East Putnam, CT

Oooooold cemetery on a gravel road, Killingly, CT
I was doing some road scouting for a big bike dirt road ride. The Bud is a hoot on the little gravel rocks...just stand up and let the rear bounce.

Why, oh why, is this boarded up. The view (next pic) is amaaaaazing. This is Tucker Hollow Rd, North Scituate, RI

The view across the road, unnamed pond. There was a "new" house to the right...you know the kind, a traditional 6 over 6 clapboard sitting atop an old granite boulder foundation, circa 1700s. I do love New England.

And finally, the friend I met for the "lunch & learn" rides a Husky 610TE so of course I had to grab this pic.

I'm from south Jersey, I've lived in New York, southern CA and Lawn Guyland, but I love New England.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nice pics siobhan. There are parts of New England that are beautiful indeed.

But I love Jonathan! After 30 some-odd years since I first heard "Monologue About Bermuda" I even get the chance to see him live. I really can't wait. :snoopydance:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Rob

Post by Rob »

I second the "nice pictures" comment.

We'll be spending some time in NE this fall, with a couple of "free days" on the schedule. I've been looking for a place to rent scoots or perhaps an MC for some 2 up riding. This just furthers my resolve. :)

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Rob wrote:I second the "nice pictures" comment.

We'll be spending some time in NE this fall, with a couple of "free days" on the schedule. I've been looking for a place to rent scoots or perhaps an MC for some 2 up riding. This just furthers my resolve. :)

Rob
If you're in Vermont, rent from here: http://www.motovermont.com/
I believe he'll arrange transport from Boston.

If you're in Newport or on Block Island (Rhode Island), you can rent scoots.

Riding in the cities sucks, but we have beautiful backroads! I'd be happy to help with a route if you're going to be in eastern CT, Rhode Island, southern MA or parts of central MA.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Syd, I've seen Jonathan a gazillion times. The shows last forever...and you still don't want to leave when they exit the stage. I had tickets to see them at a tiny local place last fall and then forgot to go :(

Stop & Shop changed their logo since they got bought by a Dutch outfit. It just doesn't seem the same.

Enjoy the show and give Paris one more chance!
Rob

Post by Rob »

siobhan wrote:If you're in Vermont, rent from here: http://www.motovermont.com/
I believe he'll arrange transport from Boston.

If you're in Newport or on Block Island (Rhode Island), you can rent scoots.

Riding in the cities sucks, but we have beautiful backroads! I'd be happy to help with a route if you're going to be in eastern CT, Rhode Island, southern MA or parts of central MA.
Thanks for the info and the nice offer for help. I may take you up on that. We'll be spending a few days in the Boston area before departing a Nova Scotia/NE cruise. Right now we (well actually the better half) is looking at Martha's Vineyard and Nanatucket, but I honestly am leaving the research up to her. I don't know much about the area in general, but I do know I want to spend a day or two on two wheels.

Thanks again!

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
amy

Post by amy »

Thanks for posting! This gives me new motivation to "represent" the north (even though I'm a Californian with MA roots living in the south now) at the Blue vs. Grey Scooter Rally in Nashville this weekend :D
ranette

Post by ranette »

Rob
I'll second motovermont for rentals. If you're going to be in Vermont and need some suggested routes feel free to PM me. I'm in Stowe.
Rob

Post by Rob »

ranette wrote:

Rob
I'll second motovermont for rentals. If you're going to be in Vermont and need some suggested routes feel free to PM me. I'm in Stowe.
Thank you! We're still working on our plans and once we get things finalized I may very well take you up on your offer.

I'm starting to really look forward to the trip, along with the seafood and lobster.

Rob
- Steven Wright
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Rob wrote:Thanks for the info and the nice offer for help. I may take you up on that. We'll be spending a few days in the Boston area before departing a Nova Scotia/NE cruise. Right now we (well actually the better half) is looking at Martha's Vineyard and Nanatucket, but I honestly am leaving the research up to her. I don't know much about the area in general, but I do know I want to spend a day or two on two wheels.

Thanks again!

Rob
If you wind up on Martha's Vineyard, there are places to rent scootahs. Nova Scotia is freaking awesome. I did that ride two years ago. The nicest people in the world, great food, unbelievable scenery. I will never forget riding along a road for miles and miles and miles, seeing no one but a bicyclist laden down with luggage, feeling the cool pockets of air and smelling the intoxicating odor of fir trees.

New England is really large (Maine is the size of Ireland), so you should pick what you want to do...beaches, lobster, history or mountains, solitude, wildlife. Everyone skips over Rhode Island, but if you're into history and glamour, Newport should not be missed. And the restaurants in Providence are second to none.

ranette, I may take you up on some routes in Vermont. I'll probably do part or all of the Puppy Dog again this year. I'd like to spend time in the Northeast Kingdom.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Only in freakin New England. I've been here since last Thursday (the 31st of May) and all it's done is blow and rain. Dang!

Then, we left North Central Mass and came up to Baa Haa Baa and I swear to god there's gotta be more people in Cemetaries than there are walking the streets! I sure do hope the rest of the week clears and warms up. Maybe I'll see some scoots up in Quoddy Head.

But tell you what, if you want some good scootin' roads the Northeast is hard to beat.
amy

Post by amy »

Siobhan, what kind of helmet is that?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Syd, you mean here?
You camping or hotelling? I stayed at Cobscook last time I was out there.

There's no people because you're here in early June! You know the Jerseyites don't make their way up until July & August. The weather has been brutal; I spent Saturday teaching the BRC in the pouring rain and have another class tonight. 50 degrees, really? In June?

AMY: It's a cheapie HJC CL-16. I put pink & black checkerboard stickers (the black reflects white at night). I've worn it almost every day for the last two years and it's been great. Just picked up a couple of the "Hellion" style at motorcyclegear.com for $69 and $78 so friends can ride along with me.
ImageImage
Syd

Post by Syd »

siobhan wrote:Syd, you mean here?
You camping or hotelling?
That's the place, alright. I have a funny close up from that exact spot, in fact, but it'll take until I get back to PHX to post it. It's a good thing the skies are cloudy, because I think the new-growth green up here would burn your eyes if it was sunny; it's incredible!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:
siobhan wrote:Syd, you mean here?
You camping or hotelling?
That's the place, alright. I have a funny close up from that exact spot, in fact, but it'll take until I get back to PHX to post it. It's a good thing the skies are cloudy, because I think the new-growth green up here would burn your eyes if it was sunny; it's incredible!
See the Forest Service sign just behind the yellow bike? I think every public restroom sign should have happy faces!
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

do we get to see the video of you falling off over and over? that might be fun!

Beautiful pics! What a beautiful area. I've never been to that part of the country. I'd love to see and ride it one day. We're heading to Colorado in a few weeks and whenever I am there, or I see pics like you posted, I think to myself "why do I live in Kansas?" there are so many beautiful places in this country!
Thanks for sharing!
kitty

Post by kitty »

I live in CT (the other end though) :D
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.