Finally (almost) finished one of my scooter projects!

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AWinn6889

Finally (almost) finished one of my scooter projects!

Post by AWinn6889 »

Hey guys, I know I haven't been around much since spring hit here in the northeast, as I've been too busy scootin' my butt off and finally getting some projects done.

This past weekend one of our local Chopper shops, Broadway Choppers of Schenectady, NY, held a motorcycle run to benefit the Albany Ronald McDonald House. I was the ONLY scooter of the 200+ bikes that participated, but they made me feel right at home, and I made a whole bunch of new friends. I was even told by several people that, had there indeed been a bike show for this particular run, my Buddy was the favorite! (There was supposed to be a bike show at the last stop, but someone forgot to bring the trophies, t-shirts, and gift cards for prizes!)

While my goal was to actually win this time (at the last run about a month ago, they wanted to give me first place just for showing up on a scooter!) I was more pleased by the smiles that it brought to the little ones' faces at the Ronald McDonald House. I even let a few of the kids take a seat on it so their families could take pictures.
It was really a great day, and a fantastic way to give hope to the families here effected by infant and childhood cancer.

Every decal on this bad bear is hand cut and applied. I did cheat a little and use a hole puncher for the hundreds of dots, otherwise I cut every single teeny little detail out by hand with an exacto knife. It was tedious and painful, and you can tell that one or two of the bits on it are just a little bit off (which I will be fixing), but all in all it was totally worth it!

So enough blabbing- here it is!

And the point at which my brain started melting:

Thankfully I am getting the scoot inspected this week, so I will be losing that awful red sticker on the front fender, and replacing it with a nice mellow blue one- ON THE FORK WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE (I won't get started on how much I loathe Vespa Schenectadouche, and how much of an asshole he is, again).

So I plan on finishing up that side of the fender, and adding a few smaller, less detailed flowers, and some little skulls in a few places- but I'm going to let my hands have a rest for a few days before I get back to cutting.
I aim to have it 100% complete by September 9th, as we are participating in an even larger run (and bike show) to benefit a local veteran that lost his legs while serving in Iraq.

I do also still plan on making a seat cover, and now I kind of have to. You can't really see it in any of the pictures, but a few weeks ago someone at my work spilled their coffee on the seat and floorboard, and rather than wipe it off with a napkin, they left it to cook into the fabric all day long. I got it off of the floorboard no problem, but I have tried absolutely everything I can think of to get it out of the seat to no avail. I have one trick left up my sleeve that one of my new chopper friends suggested, and that's brake cleaner on a shop rag- I'm a little skeptical, but it may be worth a try. I'm pretty sure the coffee just totally discolored the fabric though. It's awful, and annoying, but once the seat cover is done it will look super awesome.

Oh, and I have since decided to change the name from "Serenity" to "Sugarscoot" - vanity plate to come: SGRSCT.

Cheers everyone, I hope you are all having an awesome season!
Last edited by AWinn6889 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Mad props, AWinn - that's a real labor of love.

You ought to shoot a photo over to the CheekySeats folks - they could probably come up with an inspired seat cover, or at least could come up with some material that coordinates well.

Glad to see you back.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

PeteH wrote:Mad props, AWinn - that's a real labor of love.

You ought to shoot a photo over to the CheekySeats folks - they could probably come up with an inspired seat cover, or at least could come up with some material that coordinates well.

Glad to see you back.
Thanks PeteH!

I actually already have the patterns and the fabrics ready to go... I just need to grab some elastic, pin it together and fire up the sewing machine :)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Here are a couple more pictures from the run.

I'm somewhere near the light pole.

Here's one the Reverend took with my scoot in it!

Everyone trying to get together for a group picture in front of the RMD House.

All of the bikes together took up both sides of four blocks of the street in Albany!
Last edited by AWinn6889 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

These really kick butt!
z20k

Post by z20k »

How easy/hard was debadging it?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Nice work...
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Looks good!
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Very cool!
BoneGirl

Well done

Post by BoneGirl »

Gorgeous.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Thank you everyone!

For those who are new, or don't know much about me, you are probably seeing the vw decals on there and looking at it like :wtf:. So I will explain. My boyfriend and I are kind of a big deal (jk, but no, really) in our area in the Volkswagen community (yes, there is such a thing). We own three VWs, from mk3 to mk5, all modded in the european style, and all very, very fast.
Here is a crappy irnstergerm picture of my Variant (aka Jetta wagon) at autocross a few weeks ago (I wasn't driving).
Hope that took care of some confusion.

@Z20k - the "badges" and the racing stripes that come stock on the original 170is are just stickers, I heated mine up with a hair dryer, then peeled them off. Used a little bit of Goo Gone on the sticky residue that was left over and voila! Looked like it never had stripes or badges on it.
z20k

Post by z20k »

Thanks for confirming that for me! I'm going to try and remove mine later this evening then. :)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

super cool!
Witch

Post by Witch »

This little scoot is just amazing in person. The pics don't do it justice!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Well done!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Witch wrote:This little scoot is just amazing in person. The pics don't do it justice!
Lol, thanks Heather :P

and thanks again everyone else!
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Coolio.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

That is awesome!
It reminds me of mardi gras. You should throw plastic bead necklaces at people as you ride by!
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Looks AMAZING! Really, really nice work!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Thanks guys!

I am already making some changes on this bad bear, and I still haven't gotten the seat cover done yet, but I will be sure to post another picture once it is finally complete! :)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

awsome!!!!!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.