From Pistachio Italia 2 a Tall Mocha Buddyccino- The Odyssey

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterNewbie

From Pistachio Italia 2 a Tall Mocha Buddyccino- The Odyssey

Post by ScooterNewbie »

So about 2 weeks ago my buddy (ervine13 here on MB) and I have lunch at Chic-Fil-A :D . During our heavenly meal; where I proceed to get my 12 piece nugget meal that includes waffle fries and a lemonade and erv gets his chicken sandwich w/ provolone, we have an epiphany. Paint my Buddy!:wtf:

Now I know I'm gonna get a lot of grief for painting my italia, but hear me out. I bought Olive oil (my hotties name) with the understanding that she was a "limited edition" color..........not. With the release of the 08's 50cc and 150cc italia, it was time for her makeover. On to the pics!!!

Before: (one year earlier)

After: (this past weekend)

More pics about the entire process coming soon!!!
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

Part I- The Breakdown

Olive Oil's nipples are showing!:oops:

Either We broke it down really fast, or I had the longest phone conversation ever

Our screw guide so we'd know how to put it back together.

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

The Breakdown- continued

Check out the hot chrome fender on the scoot in the back! 8)

Headless
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

Paint Prep- Primer Time

We put down some plastic covering to protect the garage from any overspray.

Whitewalls are protected!

We couldn't really figure out how to take this part off without having to mess with too many wires, so we just taped everything off.

I'll post the end of everything tomorrow. Zero period Bio :nerd: = Snooze time :zzz:
Last edited by ScooterNewbie on Wed May 14, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

It looks great! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is another gorgeous paint job and one of the most complete Buddy color makeover's I've seen. I'd love to see it in person sometime.

Had you ever done a paint job like this before?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

Very impressive indeed! I say you got yourself a one-of-a-kind. I like the photos of the whole process, too. It'll be nice to refer to if ever I get the urge to do some paint magic.

Maybe I just need to track down the nearest Chic-Fil-A for inspiration :shock:
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Curious on what brand of spray paint you used there? Was it specifically for plastics? Thanks!
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

nice job, me likey
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

ericalm wrote:This is another gorgeous paint job and one of the most complete Buddy color makeover's I've seen. I'd love to see it in person sometime.

Had you ever done a paint job like this before?
I'd done something similar on my car before, but just little engine parts, never to this magnitude. We were a little scared, but once we saw the color combo (thanks to erv and his photoshop brilliance) it had to be done. We also figured even if everything goes horribly wrong, it's not like a car where the body panels are 500 each.

The best thing about doing this was that I got more acquainted with my buddy and how she works and was put together. Overall a very positive experience. Thanks for the comments!
Robbie: You hit two cones back there. Those could have been people... they could have been guests at her wedding!

Sammy: [exasperated] They were *cones*!
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

She-Buddy wrote:Very impressive indeed! I say you got yourself a one-of-a-kind. I like the photos of the whole process, too. It'll be nice to refer to if ever I get the urge to do some paint magic.

Thanks She-Buddy! Believe me, their food is inspirational. I drive from Pasadena to Cerritos (about a 40 minute drive, or an hour on the scoot w/ sidestreets) just to get my fix. My friends and I once went there and had a nugget challenge...... the first to 64 nuggets wins!! (I came in second)
toddrw2251 wrote:Curious on what brand of spray paint you used there? Was it specifically for plastics? Thanks!
We stuck with Duplicolor since I've used them before on the car and it's held up pretty well. We prepped with sanding, washing clean, and hitting it with the tack cloth before using the plastic primer. Then the paint in multiple coats.

To be honest, the paint is a little sensitive and there are a few cracks here and there. From what I see on the boards here, looks like krustyburger has found a winner with the krylon paints for plastics (what I would use if I had another go at it)
Robbie: You hit two cones back there. Those could have been people... they could have been guests at her wedding!

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

BTW, i'd post pics now, but my school doesn't allow me to access photobucket. Photo updates around 10:30pm PST

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Those who've used it have said that Krylon fusion (for plastics) holds up quite well and can be used without sanding of labor-intensive prep.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with our Buddy...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ervine13

Post by ervine13 »

ScooterNewbie wrote: My friends and I once went there and had a nugget challenge...... the first to 64 nuggets wins!! (I came in second)
I came in at an honorable 4th (don't ask me how many people participated).

My buddy is next. Probably next weekend. This time, we'll be better prepared compared to "Look there's Pep-Boys!"
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I used Krylon Fusion for the green front on mine, very easy to use and no real prep other than to clean the plastic first.

You've inspired me to green my scooter a little further. Updates will follow if I ever get to it. I am a world class procrastinator.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

ericalm wrote:Those who've used it have said that Krylon fusion (for plastics) holds up quite well and can be used without sanding of labor-intensive prep.
Sounds too good to be true. But the proof's in the Green Hornet, no?

Here's my concern/question - So, you ever been riding around, passing numerous cars parked alongside the road, and you pass one that looks just a little "matte." An obvious paint job, right?

Will painting a Buddy cause the same "trademark?"
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

She-Buddy wrote:
ericalm wrote:Those who've used it have said that Krylon fusion (for plastics) holds up quite well and can be used without sanding of labor-intensive prep.
Sounds too good to be true. But the proof's in the Green Hornet, no?

Here's my concern/question - So, you ever been riding around, passing numerous cars parked alongside the road, and you pass one that looks just a little "matte." An obvious paint job, right?

Will painting a Buddy cause the same "trademark?"
It shouldn't...Especially if you spray it with clearcoat.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterNewbie wrote:
She-Buddy wrote:Very impressive indeed! I say you got yourself a one-of-a-kind. I like the photos of the whole process, too. It'll be nice to refer to if ever I get the urge to do some paint magic.

Thanks She-Buddy! Believe me, their food is inspirational. I drive from Pasadena to Cerritos (about a 40 minute drive, or an hour on the scoot w/ sidestreets) just to get my fix. My friends and I once went there and had a nugget challenge...... the first to 64 nuggets wins!! (I came in second)
OKay, I am a huge Chick-Fil-A fan, but haven't had it since moving to CA. Looks like the closest are Redondo Beach and Torrance. Let me know if there's an upcoming scooter run there!

The pickle juice soaked into the buttered bun is the secret of the little sandwich. Yum.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i can confirm the comment about the clear coat keeping the glossy look. it does.

and that paint job is simply magnificient! nice choice of colors. how did you get the wheels off, though? i havent figured that out yet, myself.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Love the color combo on your Buddy and love the advice in this thread.

Can you feel the love?
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

Painting:

We tried to paint each color in different sections of the garage, but that didn't work out too well since some of the cream overspray got onto the browns and made them look dusty! :evil:
We reassessed the situation, adapted, and everything was gold!

We went through about 4 cans of brown, 3 of cream, and 3 clear.

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

Reassembly:

In hindsight, it would have been really cool to paint the front forks cream, but it was too late.

Sorry for the sagging, it's a problem I'm trying to get over. The 90's were rough on me. :?

Check out my girls smile now! (we had to get the air vent on cream)

Cheesin' with satisfaction.

Rear wheel is back on, with the fresh new wheel cover and air filter cover! The one thing we discovered that we'd missed was the inside part of the rear wheel that actually powers the scoot. It's the only hint that she used to be an italia.

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

Completion! (Clean Up)

Test drive with a nice bag of oranges.

The paint is not as glossy as the pic shows, but she looks damn sexy to me, like a smooooth hot chocolate with whipped cream :wtf: Sorry

We put the glossy clear coat on the "exterior" body panels, but none on the "interior" panels to try to keep it looking somewhat stock.

You might be able to sneak a peek at the hint of green I was talking about earlier.

If you're looking up my girl's skirt: 1) You'll see that we didn't paint the insides 2) Stop. You are rude and inappropriate.

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

The joy ride around the Rose Bowl

Friends eager to take the road.

Back to Back

So-lows

This thread has been brought to you by

ervine13

ScooterNewbie

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

ericalm wrote: OKay, I am a huge Chick-Fil-A fan, but haven't had it since moving to CA. Looks like the closest are Redondo Beach and Torrance. Let me know if there's an upcoming scooter run there!

The pickle juice soaked into the buttered bun is the secret of the little sandwich. Yum.
So maybe a Chic-Fil-A trip is planned for the future then! I'm always up for a good meal and meeting new peeps.

ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

sailortot wrote:i can confirm the comment about the clear coat keeping the glossy look. it does.

and that paint job is simply magnificient! nice choice of colors. how did you get the wheels off, though? i havent figured that out yet, myself.
Thanks for the comment :D

As for the wheels, the rear was pretty easy once we got the exhaust and wheel cover removed. The front was a bit harder to remove with the brake caliper and disk removal. Once you take a look at them close up I think they're pretty easy to find out which screw needs to be removed.

She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

ScooterNewbie wrote:
ericalm wrote: OKay, I am a huge Chick-Fil-A fan, but haven't had it since moving to CA. Looks like the closest are Redondo Beach and Torrance. Let me know if there's an upcoming scooter run there!

So maybe a Chic-Fil-A trip is planned for the future then! I'm always up for a good meal and meeting new peeps.
PEEPS?! Oh, I imagine you'd meet a few!!!

I am in awe of this whole repainting process. This thread has been engrossing. You guys did such a fantastic job! An obvious labor of love.
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

My husband's FLY 150 is being re-painted as we speak. It's being done professionally by a friend with a shop for about $250. Pics when complete...
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

hey 'newbie, how tall are you and ervine? looks like you're sitting on the rack!

'08 Tomos Nitro
Christy

Post by Christy »

wow, it looks so awesome!

also on the chic-fil-a...I'm amazed that you guys don't have one every other block like we do here. I think there are 5 in my suburb alone...and probably another 15 within a 20 minute drive from me. and yes, it IS delicious!!!!!!! I'm going to stop taking chic-fil-a for granted. :)
EPSP #76
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

BEAUTIFUL paint job. I love it. The contrasts are sweet. You did an outstanding job. I remember painting my truck when I was in high school and the dramatic difference it made. (Unfortunately I got broadsided less than a month after painting it.)

Howard
piceloni

Post by piceloni »

GORGEOUS paint job! If Genuine put out a mocha Buddy, I'd be allover that like white on rice.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

There's a Chick-Fil-A in Philly, and now I want to eat there. I don't even like fast food, but that place is dang tasty.

OMG DUDE YOUR SCOOTER!!! I love the paint job, the photos of the process, both scooters hanging out together, and well, just everything. LOVE IT! :D
ModBud #442
swillscooter

Sorry to revive such a dead thread....

Post by swillscooter »

Is the OP still out there and are there live links to pics?
AWinn6889

Re: Sorry to revive such a dead thread....

Post by AWinn6889 »

swillscooter wrote:Is the OP still out there and are there live links to pics?
+1 for this.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

anyone know why i can't view these snaps? all i see are boxes saying snap has been removed. i am logged in.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

batgirl101 wrote:anyone know why i can't view these snaps? all i see are boxes saying snap has been removed. i am logged in.
The photos were lost or removed by the owner. They were liked to Photobucket rather than uploaded here. Nothing we can do about it.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

ericalm wrote:
batgirl101 wrote:anyone know why i can't view these snaps? all i see are boxes saying snap has been removed. i am logged in.
The photos were lost or removed by the owner. They were liked to Photobucket rather than uploaded here. Nothing we can do about it.
ok thanks E, i'm fairly low tech so i thought i was missing something