Stella with Sidecar

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tunseeker1

Stella with Sidecar

Post by tunseeker1 »

I am starting to get interested in a Stella with a sidecar to compliment my other toys and I was looking for some feedback on what people that have them think of them and if anyone ever sells sidecar rigs used!
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Heard good and bad. Mostly you must have some weight in it if you don't have a rider or big dog in there.

May take some tweaking to get it to handle right from what I have heard.

G'luck!
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I've got an 03 stella with a cozy sidecar on it. They are a different animal than scooter. It's ton's of fun and will get noticed everywhere you go. You don't need any weight in the sidecar, but it does help keep it down on hard right hand turns. The only time mine ever wants to come up is in low speed sharp corners, like in a parking lot. It will cut down your mpg and mph. With the sidecar you are looking at about 40-45 mph on a nice long flat. Also you have to turn this thing, no leaning, countersteering, etc, you have to grab those bars and make it turn. You will feel it in your shoulders after your first couple of 15-20 minute rides. Also the sidecar will make the bike pull to the right during acceleration and pull to the left on braking, but it is very managable.

They are tons of fun, and I've seen Stella/Cozy rigs for sale on craigslist and StellaSpeed many times, so they are out there.

irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Have had two Stellae, one with sidecar. Fun but hard work. Pretty much a PITA to drive (you don't really ride). No matter how well-balanced the assembly is you still deal with shaking. Do not try to ride with one hand (especially at speed). You'll go thru tires in nothing flat. I would at least remove the cat conv and install a a Sito+ pipe. Even then it's still pretty much a dog. Kitting to a 177cc is an idea too. A Cozy sidecar is pretty easy on-off (c. 15 min ech way) five bolts. DO make sure to adjust the tire pressure in the tires if you go back-forth between 3 wheels and 2 (big difference in PSI). Take a lot of time to practice (especially on right turns with an empty sidecar) as much more body-English is required to ride. Don't be in a hurry as EVERYBODY will want to talk to you about the scoot (more so than an MP3). I used to run to the grocery for stuff (great grocery-hauler) and thought I'd be home in 10 min. I'd get back in 45-60 min. A sidecar rig is an adventure to be sure.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA