welp. got hit by an effing car on my scooter.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

betsy q. bramble

welp. got hit by an effing car on my scooter.

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I'm fine, and it wasn't at all a major accident...but man did it make me angry.

I was stopped at a red light, behind at LEAST 6 other stopped cars. None of us moving. I was stopped for at least 30 seconds, and some turd in a Taurus just drives RIGHT into the back of me! Hard enough to knock me off the scoot, and my scoot to the ground. Also broke off the black plastic guard thing over the exhaust.

THE BEST PART, you ask? Oh I don't know...probably the fact that when the man got out of his car, he tells me "I didn't see you!"

WHAT! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F*CKING KIDDING ME! Broad day light. LINE of stopped traffic. Me on a green scooter, brake lights shining, big ol' Prima bag, and gleaming white helmet. That statement erased ALL the "I'm sorry"s that he had thrown at me up until then. Why is "I'm an asshole who wasn't paying attention at all" interchangeable with "I didn't see you"...? He then proceeded to try to avoid giving me any of his information.
Last edited by betsy q. bramble on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

That sucks,

sorry to hear that.

All that matters is that you're ok though. Buddy parts are cheap
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

WOW betsy...I'm glad you're alright! How's the scoot?

I don't get the 'I didn't see you' crap. It's more like, you were thinking about your massive debt, or texting your mistress, or eating Wendy's.

So sorry...glad you're OK!
betsy q. bramble

hahaha...texting your mistress....golden.

yes, i am totally fine...and i think the scoot is okay, but i'll have the shop boys look at it tomorrow just to be sure. at first it didn't start back up, but I think that may have just been a result of a nearly full tank of gas being turned into it's side.

he did hit the rear tire..so i'm hopping nothing got thrown out of whack there.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Sound like we could use a new t-shirt. 'If your texting you probably can't read this.'
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

As far as getting his info, I hope "try" was the operative word and he didn't succeed! Sucks to hear about the hit. Glad you're okay!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

You said Taurus right... was it being driven by a (enter any local ethnicity here)? They spend soooo much time looking at their check engine light they wouldn't notice you on a scooter if you were on fire :lol: Left the person blank so it could work in other areas other than CT. For non-CT area people, there aren't that many nice Tauruses left in Plainville CT. Most have rebuilt titles or salvage titles and get sold to persons new to the area.
EZPZ #65
betsy q. bramble

He kept looking over my scooter telling me he didn't see anything wrong, everything was fine..and I insisted that the sort of damage I'm most worried about isn't what you could see.

Then I just yelled at him. :evil:

I got the info.
betsy q. bramble

nissanman wrote:You said Taurus right... was it being driven by a (enter any local ethnicity here)? They spend soooo much time looking at their check engine light they wouldn't notice you on a scooter if you were on fire :lol: Left the person blank so it could work in other areas other than CT. For non-CT area people, there aren't that many nice Tauruses left in Plainville CT. Most have rebuilt titles or salvage titles and get sold to persons new to the area.
hahaha i find this funny on a few different levels...not because i am racist, but

a.) my cage is a crappy taurus
b.) the driver was indian
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

See! I wasn't making this up. 11 years of selling cars in this area and I have a decent feel for the types of cars and drivers that are common. There is always the exception though. I have come across a few nice Tauruses, but not many.
EZPZ #65
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Oh my gosh that is funny about the Taurus!...

But on another note, what an ASS HOLE!!!! I always try to carry a camera with me for jerks like this. I took a picture of a hit and run driver once who hit my car and the police couldn't do anything about pending "further investigation".. yah right.. I sent in a picture of the guy's tag and everything...

The police told me I should have taken a picture of his VIN # ... ugh! I hate lazy people who don't do their job.

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Wow, what an ass clown. How do you not see a scooter in FRONT of you?

Good to hear you are ok.
betsy q. bramble

I believe my words were...in caps..."HOW DID YOU NOT SEE ME?!"

rarr.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Wow.. that's sorta my worst fear there. Checking mirrors while stopped always. Glad it was minor, but DAYUM!

OK, now that we've established you're OK.

How's the scoot? Rideable? Just cosmetic or more damage than that?
Tenchi

Glad you're okay....my own experience with idiots....

Post by Tenchi »

I got rear-ended by some stupid moron while driving my Dodge Demon (1971, cool ride) in 1975 and the lady that caused the accident (by changing lanes in a turn lane, and pushing the guy in the outside lane onto the curb) tried to blame the guy she hit (and who then smacked into me) that it was HIS fault. Unfortunately for her, her husband, who also was her insurance agent by the name of CHARLIE Atlas, had been called, showed up at the scene, and told her to shut her yap. The cops asked me if I was okay, and I verified that the car wasn't damaged, and told me to hit the bricks. I thought, "No problem" (Kudos to ALF). The next thing I knew, I had an arrest warrant for leaving the scene of an accident without identifying myself to that woman who caused the accident in the fist place! Fortunately, I was on vacation out of state, and my step-father told them to blow it out their ear and that the officer had told me to leave. No on had bothered to read the entire police report, and we had notified State Farm of the incident. You just can't trust people to own up to their own stupidity. :D Always carry a disposal camera to get some good shots!
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

Call me short tempered but if I wasn't injured I would have probably tried to injure the driver myself. I once got hit in a crosswalk (in a school zone while crossing gaurds were present) on my skateboard by a lady in a Cadillac Escalade. I was so angry when getting back up thinking how this lady could have a killed a kid that I did some body work to her shiny car with my board. I guess karma caught up to me because later that day I crashed my '65 Dodge Dart convertible into a wall on the 101. (I'm more level headed now :D )
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This is a lesson to everyone, sometimes, you're not the only one who can cause an accident, others can. Like I said, people on their cell phones, messing with the radio, or stupid may not see you, yes it is their fault, BUT you also need to be playing their role on the road to ensure max safety since they're too careless to do it in their own cars.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

cadillaczac wrote:Call me short tempered but if I wasn't injured I would have probably tried to injure the driver myself. I once got hit in a crosswalk (in a school zone while crossing gaurds were present) on my skateboard by a lady in a Cadillac Escalade. I was so angry when getting back up thinking how this lady could have a killed a kid that I did some body work to her shiny car with my board. I guess karma caught up to me because later that day I crashed my '65 Dodge Dart convertible into a wall on the 101. (I'm more level headed now :D )
Ouch, and thats such a car to loose! I've owned a couple of them :(
betsy q. bramble

I think I got most testy when he was trying to help me stand my scooter back up. After he repeated so much that nothing was wrong and it was no big deal, I didn't want his hands on it.

I don't care if the total damage comes to $8...I still want to try to make his rates go up.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

The first thing out of your mouth after being knocked down by a stupid cager should be a hoarse "call 911".

If possible (don't get hit by another car), stay down.
Don't talk (you can moan if you want), don't let them move anything - scream like you are in pain if they try to move your bike (it only weighs as much as a boyfriend leaning on you.)
Wait for the cops and the ems.
This is not because of the benefit to your case, but because you don't really know if or how bad you've been hurt due to the adrenaline.

Trust me, it took 30 minutes for my neck to freeze up, my head to explode in a blinding headache, and my knees to get almost unwalkable. It took a whole day for the rib and sternum pain to show up, and 2 days for the bruises.

By the way "I didn't see you" is an admission of fault. (of course, if he had seen you it would have been attempted murder)
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

By the way, betsy, go to the doctor if there's any chance you may have gotten hurt.
Jake

Post by Jake »

That...warrants the ass kicking of a lifetime.

Glad you're OK.

Cadillaczac...is that why they call you Cadillaczac?
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I'm sure he didn't see you. He was too busy looking at everything else but traffic.

The wife has a Taurus and the check engine light is always on. And the A/C doesn't work. And it stalls on right turns. And the radio doesn't work. And it kinda smells funny. Man, I'm actually hoping she wants to get a scooter too. That way we can be rid of the thing.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. Don't take any crap from cagers that hit you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

nissanman wrote:See! I wasn't making this up. 11 years of selling cars in this area and I have a decent feel for the types of cars and drivers that are common. There is always the exception though. I have come across a few nice Tauruses, but not many.
Let's try to avoid the racial stereotyping, please. Every time I've been in an accident it was with a caucasian. I wasn't even aiming for most of them. :roll:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
betsy q. bramble

I had no idea about the Taurus stereotype, but mostly laughed because he said that to a white girl who drives a 1994 Taurus (only when forced by the brutality of nature). Irony? I don't think he was being racist, though.

To be it's one unlikely defender, my car has been neglected and abused, and still holds up for me. My friends' nicer cars break down more often.

I really am okay, and thank you everyone for your concern and advice. My first reaction was to stand up and do the whole "What the f*ck!" arm motion at him..which now kind of makes me laugh...and then pick up my scooter, kill the engine, and get it out of the road. When I get to the shop today, I will have someone check it over and make sure the exhaust guard is the only thing broken.
dubbyd

Post by dubbyd »

That is one of the places my instructor at BRC stressed. He told us he couldn't count the number of times that situation has happened or been avoided by him. He has a habit of keeping is eyes in the mirrors and looks at the driver of the cars coming up behind him. He actually was able to notice one guy that was searching for something on the floor boards or seat and you couldn't even see him. He was able to pull just far enough to the side to get out of the way and the car hit the car that was in front of him with such force that it crunched the hood. Not to mention what it would have done to the MC and rider. Couldn't use the I didn't see you to him because he hit a nice big car.
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

LisaLisa wrote:The first thing out of your mouth after being knocked down by a stupid cager should be a hoarse "call 911".

Don't talk (you can moan if you want), don't let them move anything - scream like you are in pain if they try to move your bike (it only weighs as much as a boyfriend leaning on you.)
This is not because of the benefit to your case, but because you don't really know if or how bad you've been hurt due to the adrenaline.

Trust me, it took 30 minutes for my neck to freeze up, my head to explode in a blinding headache, and my knees to get almost unwalkable. It took a whole day for the rib and sternum pain to show up, and 2 days for the bruises.

By the way "I didn't see you" is an admission of fault. (of course, if he had seen you it would have been attempted murder)
Perfect! I think this about covers good accident behaviour, not that I ever want me or anyone else to have to use it.
Modern Buddy member # 2499
EPSP member # 102
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

Oh, and Betsy Q...I am glad you are okay. That's the main thing.
Modern Buddy member # 2499
EPSP member # 102
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Yah, I spend a fair amount of my time at stop lights watching my mirrors waiting for something like that to happen - at least until I get someone else stopped behind me.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Glad you are doing well.

If I ever get hit in the back end, I hope I have both a full stomach and colons worth . . . Splat! Haa, remove that from your windsheild MF'r

quick edit: Ooops, forgot the :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LisaLisa wrote:The first thing out of your mouth after being knocked down by a stupid cager should be a hoarse "call 911".

Despite knowing everything right to do after a crash, I did everything wrong when I crashed. Between adrenaline and shock, I was a mess and all I could think of was that I didn't want my wife to get a call from the hospital because she'd freak out. The responsible driver was great and repeatedly asked if I needed an ambulance, which I denied despite knowing I probably did need one. I wasn't in pain but could reach into my jacket and feel that my shoulder wasn't quite where it was supposed to be. I had just enough sense to get the responsible driver's info and phone numbers from witnesses. I actually rode a totaled scooter home. I staggered into our living room and said, "Honey, I need you to take me to the hospital." That was much better than her getting a call! Ha. In the movie version, the person playing me will pass out right after saying that because it makes for a more dramatic story that way. Instead we spent 10 minutes figuring out where the nearest ER is. Within an hour I was in pain—and lots of it.

I doubt I would make all those mistakes again. The only advice I can give is slow down, take care of the essentials, and realize your judgement might be compromised by the rush of adrenaline. LisaLisa's right on—you may be up and about but that doesn't mean you're not injured. Let them call an ambulance.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

Racenut wrote:Wow.. that's sorta my worst fear there. Checking mirrors while stopped always.
i have an absolute paranoia abut this also. I was at a stop light two cars back in an acura integra a few years back and a lady hit me from behind doing over 40 mph. Never hit the brakes, Never looked up according to what she said. Well it slammed me into and under the car in front of me, totalling my car. that fast, done. 363 days later, i was piled up waiting in traffic on a rain soaked highway, a woman came from 2 lanes over at 50+ mph only to notice there was nowhere to go since traffic was backed up, I put the car in gear and tried to go up and over the curb and get out of the way. I got a little further out of the way but not far enough, before she hit me and took out the left quarter of my car. i get paranoid as can be in stopped traffic(in a car a well). On the scooter, i scan like crazy. a quick stop makes me tense up a bit(which i'm working on not doing.) Either of the above scenarios on my scooter and I'd be in the afterlife. Be safe out there and sorry that happened to you Betsy.

-todd
Jake

Post by Jake »

Yeah, that adrenaline rush is something else...

When I crashed, there was no one to get info from, so I picked up my scooter and started yelling (I was way pissed at myself). It felt like I was fine, through and through. Probably like 5 hours later that night, my knee was too swollen to move it very much, and my shoulder was killing me.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

LisaLisa wrote:It took a whole day for the rib and sternum pain to show up, and 2 days for the bruises.
For this reason alone, if the insurance arsehole happens to call, don't sound upbeat about anything. I don't say this to scam them, but you don't know how the mechanics of your body are going to play out. In the first of the above wrecks, i talked to the agent, when i tried to get money later, he quoted me as saying, i thought i'd be allright, when he called the day after the wreck. i'm a genuinely optimistic guy. 6 years later i still have neck pain on occasion. i don't know what pain suffering and inconvenience is worth to you, but it's worth more than.......zero.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

+1

You may not be trying to scam them (insurance), but they're sure as anything looking for ANYTHING that'll let them get out of paying you.
bunny

Post by bunny »

When OH had a minor accident on the MC, the other guy's insurance wouldn't even settle until a month had passed to confirm any injuries...I think their ins was commercial though - Chubb, I think. But what was the only good side out of the whole deal (other than OH being relatively unharme, of course!) is that they added 25% to the back end for any future injuries related to the accident.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

THERE ARE STILL TAURUSES ON THE ROAD??!??!??!!!!!!!?!?!??!

:shock:

They used to be like 1/10 cars I'd see, like in 1992-5. But now, near zero.

Good 'ol 'mercan engineering!
ScootingInTheRain

By the way - that dud sucks, I hope you don't have any latent physical problems, and OMG I check the mirrors like Rain Man.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

In any wreck, particularly one on a scooter:

1. Never admit fault - I've seen several times with what should be cut and dried one party is at fault accidents end up mutual fault because someone said something like - oh, well if I had only not been speeding, or following too close, or had watched better, or whatever.
2. Call the cops, when they get there, don't get into a he said/she said, just give an accurate from your POV description. Don't lie to the cops (or if you do, make damned sure you remember what you told them, and don't give conflicting stories)
3. If there's even a chance someone is hurt, call 911 and get an ambulance. The EMTs will come out and check you out. They don't start charging you unless you actually ride to the hospital
4. Get their info and that of any witnesses. First chance you get if they're being reluctant to give info is whip out the cell phone camera and take a picture of the driver, their car, their license plate, and any damage to either vehicle
5. Call your insurance company, and hope you have a good one who will take care of all of the who pays nonsense
apetit

Post by apetit »

bunny wrote:When OH had a minor accident on the MC, the other guy's insurance wouldn't even settle until a month had passed to confirm any injuries...I think their ins was commercial though - Chubb, I think. But what was the only good side out of the whole deal (other than OH being relatively unharme, of course!) is that they added 25% to the back end for any future injuries related to the accident.
30 days is the limit they can legally delay before settling.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I didn't know that about the EMS...thought they charged regardless. Good info to have.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

bunny wrote:When OH had a minor accident on the MC, the other guy's insurance wouldn't even settle until a month had passed to confirm any injuries...
insurance arsehole, in my case tried to pull all kinds of things. The car was totalled so it sat temporarily in a junk yard at like 15 bucks a day. the jackass tried to tell me that from one particular day forward i would be responsible for the fees if i didn't settle, and he'd take my rental car away. you learn a lot the first time around. main thing is they will lean on you, it's up to you to let them fall. they know time is not on your side in most cases. i was told by a neighbor that was an adjuster that i'd be better off going through my insurance company and let them subrogate the arseholes company. i let it drag out for weeks and in the end all of his threats were just hollow, although I did have to budge a little on my end too.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

And- nothing scares a cager shih-tzu-less more than seeing someone motionless on the ground. That they hit.

betsy q. bramble

I am being told left and right that I should have called the cops...but am I the only one who would feel like that is a little over-dramatic if I am physically unharmed, with one broken plastic panel? Tell me I am not the only one. I would feel SO silly with cops rolling up to that!
ScootingInTheRain

betsy q. bramble wrote:I am being told left and right that I should have called the cops...but am I the only one who would feel like that is a little over-dramatic if I am physically unharmed, with one broken plastic panel? Tell me I am not the only one. I would feel SO silly with cops rolling up to that!
ALWAYS call the cops. Get it on record for insurance purposes. Avoid he-said she-said arguments with agents.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Seriously, that plastic part probably costs more than $100. Did you hit your helmet on the ground? Then it needs to be replaced. You don't want to eat that cost.

That and- do I need to remind you, you got knocked off your bike because he operated his vehicle in a negligent manner, causing damage to your property.

Always call the cops. Better yet have him call the cops because it's likely he will incriminate himself during the call.
dorian

Post by dorian »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I am being told left and right that I should have called the cops...but am I the only one who would feel like that is a little over-dramatic if I am physically unharmed, with one broken plastic panel? Tell me I am not the only one. I would feel SO silly with cops rolling up to that!
I think everyone's intentions are in the right place. But I'm sorta thinking the way you are.... if I have an accident involving no injuries to the other party, and I'm confident there are no injuries to myself (as an athlete I'm fairly in tune with my body), then swapping information and going on my way is normal and the way I choose to handle it. The lawyers and insurance companies are making enough money without my involvement in their careers.

But there is a degree of risk handling it that way. But what the heck... I'm an edgy kind of guy. (I have been known to run with scissors in my hands, I once drank the water in Mexico, and have even risked surrendering the remote to my wife.)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

im not sure but can you follow through with a claim if the cops are not called? he could have said you were stopped at a light on a hill and rolled back into him. thats what caused the damage. no pics? who will they trust. the cops are not always our best friends but they are paid to perform duties for the public. they can sort out the mess and unfortunatly that is as good as gold. their report may keep you out of the middle of a he said she said. his insurance doesn't want to pay you anything, its not their job to give away money. but someone owes you something. to at least return your property to its "before accident" state.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Sorry, you should have called the cops. That man deserves to be written a ticket. People get tickets for much less. HE RAN INTO YOU. It is by pure luck you and your scooter were not harmed worse. He was still incredibly negligent. It's not like you are calling the cops to arrest this guy. They just document the incident and write the guy a ticket for failure to responsibly operate his vehicle.
Lift heavy eat clean!
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I used to work for a major insurance company. ALWAYS file a police report, even if you don't "call the cops" right then. However, if you don't call immediately, then you better have a camera with you, and witnesses names and numbers.

I'm sorry you got hit :x
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com