Bought my Buddy today! I'm a little scared....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scooter Bug

Bought my Buddy today! I'm a little scared....

Post by Scooter Bug »

Well, I broke open my piggy bank and payed for my seafoam 125 in full today. He just arrived today, and when I saw him I did a double take because he was so handsome! I was prepared to ride home...when I got the bad news that my helmet won't be in until tomorrow. Bummer.

Sad as it was...I was almost relieved. I am sort of afraid to ride it and mess up somehow. I rocked the MSF on a motorcycle, but I feel unprepared for the differences in the scooter! Am I lame? I think I need to ride around the parking lot a few times before bursting onto the very busy, 6 lane street I have to take home. I have freaked myself out a little by watching crash videos and reading horror stories here. I have serious saftey gear, but I know that riding is a big risk. Part of me wonders why I would take such a risk. The other part of me wants to be a scooter monster. Oh conflict. Has anyone else felt this way on the eve of getting their scoot?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Is this your first official 2 wheel vehicle? There may be some difference when riding a motorcycle and scooter, handling wise, but they are similar. It's good you didnt ride it home, riding in a practice course with no dangers is safe, but riding out on the street with teen agers talking on their cell phones and texting, they're out to kill you, then blame the accident on you!

Take some time riding in a parking lot or neighborhood, once you get the feel, go out and ride on some less busy streets, remember your speedo is 10% faster, so ride 3-5mph more than the signs say to if you want to go the speed limit and not hold traffic up. You are smart and took the MSF, you should have learned many skills that you will be comfortable performing on the buddy, you know your stuff, now practice it some more and put it to use when you head out on the main roads! Good luck! :D
Scooter Bug

Post by Scooter Bug »

Yes, this is my first two wheeled thing with a motor. I had never ridden a motorized two-wheeler before last weekend at the MSF. Somehow I knew I would love it...and I did. I will definitely practice before riding to school etc....I just have to get it home first :cry: .
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

You have good reason to fear riding. Besides people not seeing you, there are some who are out right malicious to anyone on two wheels.
Tonight I was making a left turn, my turn signal was on, I was stopped, awaiting a break in on-coming traffic. A vehicle stopped behind me and layed on the horn. It was obvious I couldnt complete the turn until I had a break. As soon as I could I started my left turn, the driver also turned left and cut me off on the inside, pulled in front of me and slammed on her brakes. The driver was a middle-aged woman driving a SUV. She drove off giving me the finger.
taile84

Post by taile84 »

I went through the same thing you are going through. I have been riding my Buddy to work, 17 miles each way and with lots of cars on the road. I am still nervous and say a little prayer every time I head out. Sometimes I wonder why I ride, but then when I go in my car, I always think that I would rather be on 2 wheels right at that moment.

I freaked my self out watching those crash videos too, but its almost something you have to do to keep your self level headed and not too ambitious. Today I was in the a parking lot and a lady in a big SUV attempted to run me over while turning into my path without looking. I honked at her and she just kept going thinking the honking was coming from behind her. I was so mad, I want to get a louder horn. It sucks, but I guess that's what we sign up for when we get on 2 wheels.

Take is slow and practice alot. Good luck and hope you save lots of gas in the near future :) Make sure to wear gear all the time, I am ATGATT and I can't imagine getting on my scooter with anything less.

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
taile84

Post by taile84 »

marsturm wrote:You have good reason to fear riding. Besides people not seeing you, there are some who are out right malicious to anyone on two wheels.
Tonight I was making a left turn, my turn signal was on, I was stopped, awaiting a break in on-coming traffic. A vehicle stopped behind me and layed on the horn. It was obvious I couldnt complete the turn until I had a break. As soon as I could I started my left turn, the driver also turned left and cut me off on the inside, pulled in front of me and slammed on her brakes. The driver was a middle-aged woman driving a SUV. She drove off giving me the finger.
Wow what a bitch! Pardon my French. From my experience, people who are THAT crabby don't have enough love in their life so they don't feel any remorse when they are jerks to everyone else. I get mad, but always feel a little bad for people like that.

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've ridden many places and road conditions, and the only one I fear most is a gravel filled bumpy tar patch construction workers created when digging and fixing the street, I skid once and it scared me, now if I have to go over it, I make a near complete stop, and walk over it with my own feet, once over, I accelerate back to normal.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

jfrost2 wrote:remember your speedo is 10% faster, so ride 3-5mph more than the signs say to if you want to go the speed limit and not hold traffic up.
Actually, have a friend pace you before you assume this. Several people have said their speedos are right on and you don't want to be speeding. I would say only go as fast as you are comfortable even if that's a little under the limit (just try not to go dangerously slow because a roadraging, tailgating driver is the last thing you need)

But yes, I bought my scoot in a sort of jetlagged haze and had some worrisome days waiting for it to arrive. What if I hate it? What if I am just scared the whole time? Terrible things could happen to me! (I had never ridden a scoot or motorcycle aside from the test ride which was a couple circles in the back lot)

Then I got home and rode it around. I was amazed at how right scootering felt. About a month later and I have gotten my motorcycle license, sold my car and I am approaching 1000miles on the odometer! :D

I hope your experience is just as grand ^_^
Lift heavy eat clean!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You are right to avoid your first ride being one in heavy traffic on an unfamiliar scoot. My advice is to have the scoot delivered to your house by the shop or by a friend that has an appropriate pickup or whatever. Practice in an empty parking lot until you are more familiar with your scoot. Then make short trips on local streets and slowly take on longer distances and busier roads. Stay within your comfort zone as your skills develop. Ride safe, have fun.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Also, you might want to get used to having people up your tail sometimes. It doesnt happen as much in your car since you're much larger, but on a small vehicle like a scooter/motorcycle, people get close thinking how tiny and slow you are.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

OK, here's what to do.

1. Be seen. Be as conspicuous as you can.
If you want to go all out, wear a white helmet and a yellow reflective safety vest. Use the high beam during the day. If you generally ride behind a car's left wheel, you can be seen in the rear view and drivers side mirror (not that you will be seen, but you can), but change it up a bit, too.

2. Watch the traffic ahead (and behind) and try to predict what they are going to do. You'll be surprised how predictable their stupid actions are. Makes it easier to plan your response

3. Slow it down in the curves.

4. Don't drink and ride- nothing at all for weeks until you are really comfortable, and even then... mmmm don't.

5. Gear up. Helmet, gloves, boots, armored jacket, heavy pants.

6. Ride with a buddy at first. They ride to the left and you ride a second behind to the right of the lane. Choose someone who's not crazy, and in curvy areas, go single file.

If you are a woman, wear pink.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
esk

Post by esk »

welcome scooter bug! you definitely aren't lame for having the jitters. i had passed the MSF and gotten my motorcycle endorsement before i picked up my scooter, but i was scared stiff anyway. my friend took me to the dealership on the back of his motorcycle. once all the paperwork was done, i spent about 15 minutes slowly puttering around the garage and the back alley, getting more and more nervous - the phrase "what have i done, WHAT HAVE I DONE??" kept running through my mind. eventually we pulled out (into relatively busy downtown seattle traffic) and my friend led me slowly home.

for the next week or so i was still very nervous every time i took her out, and had to fight off buyer's remorse. but i forced myself to go out a little every day, even just down the street to the store and back. eventually i gained confidence. you will too!
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

First let me say congrats on you purchase you will not be sorry! Second let me say Welcome to MB! Third let me say my current scooter is my first two wheeled vehicle and having said that I took the MSF course. After taking the course on a shifty cycle riding the scoot was a breeze. Kind of like learning to drive a manual car then buying an automatic.

taile84 wrote:
marsturm wrote:You have good reason to fear riding. Besides people not seeing you, there are some who are out right malicious to anyone on two wheels.
Wow what a bitch! Pardon my French. From my experience, people who are THAT crabby don't have enough love in their life so they don't feel any remorse when they are jerks to everyone else. I get mad, but always feel a little bad for people like that.
Um yeah definite +1 on that SUV driver being a bitch!
LisaLisa wrote:1. Be seen. Be as conspicuous as you can.
If you want to go all out, wear a white helmet and a yellow reflective safety vest. Use the high beam during the day. If you generally ride behind a car's left wheel, you can be seen in the rear view and drivers side mirror (not that you will be seen, but you can), but change it up a bit, too.

All of LisaLisa's advice is good advice as is all the other advice here but in regards to this quoted statement I feel the need to repeat the two wheeler mantra "Ride like you are invisible." No matter how much conspicuous gear you have or how conspicuously you ride always assume that the when you are on your scoot you are not being seen. This will help in predicting when that SUV is going to pull out of the side street into your path of travel or when that truck you have been riding beside for 5 miles is going to decide to change into your lane with you right beside the drivers window. (Not that you would be there because you are riding assuming the driver either hasn't seen you or has forgotten you are there) Heh anyway welcome again have fun we know you will there is noi doubt about it! :twisted:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
7eregrine

Re: Bought my Buddy today! I'm a little scared....

Post by 7eregrine »

Scooter Bug wrote: I have freaked myself out a little by watching crash videos and reading horror stories here. I have serious saftey gear, but I know that riding is a big risk.
Ok, first?!? STOP WATCHING CRASH VIDEOS. lol

Take a read through the NOTHING HAPPENED thread. ;)
Sadly I just did a search and couldn't find it.

I predict in about a week of riding and seeing cars DO notice you and DON'T try to kill you you'll be asking yourself in no time "what was I so worried about?!?" :)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

7eregrine wrote:
Scooter Bug wrote: I have freaked myself out a little by watching crash videos and reading horror stories here. I have serious saftey gear, but I know that riding is a big risk.
Ok, first?!? STOP WATCHING CRASH VIDEOS. lol

I predict in about a week of riding and seeing cars DO notice you and DON'T try to kill you you'll be asking yourself in no time "what was I so worried about?!?" :)
Peregrine makes a great point. A little bit of paranoia on the road is healthy, but to much fear can be dangerous and ironically end up being the cause of an accident.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

If you're really nervous, I think U-Haul rents motorcycle trailers for something like $15, or they also rent (in-town only) pickups. That way you can get it home without being jittery and near-panicked the whole way.

Yeah...stop watching the wreck vids for a while. It's good information to be aware of, but honestly...the crap drivers are the minority. You still have to keep an eye out for them, but it's not going to be EVERY car you encounter. :) Sometimes it just takes warming up to, is all.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Scooter Bug wrote: Part of me wonders why I would take such a risk. The other part of me wants to be a scooter monster. Oh conflict. Has anyone else felt this way on the eve of getting their scoot?
The night before I went to put down my deposit, I lay in bed thinking "I'm going to die I'm going to die". It didn't help that when I made my first visit to the dealer I passed a motorcyclist laying in the road who was dying (he'd lost the battle with a semi).

I'd spent the last few years lamenting the fact that I wasn't a scooter girl (dh strongly discouraged me from scooting). I decided not to spend the rest of my years lamenting that I could've been a scooter girl but decided to wimp out.

You've already taken the MSF course. That's one of the best things you can do to prepare yourself.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

7eregrine wrote:
That thread is the one linked in my signature. DEFINITELY READ IT.

And as everyone has already said, you are normal and wise to have some fear- a lot of us went through a period where we decided that riding on two wheels (especially a tiny scooter) is just nuts and there's no way we'd ever do it. Now we all love it. I was scared for a while by crash reports and videos. I thought of my family and how awful it would be for them if I kicked it in a wreck. It's healthy, I think, to work through that and acknowledge the dangers involved, because they are real. But they are also real for everything in life. A closer look at motorcycle crash stats show that a significant portion are single vehicle and/or due to rider error. In other words, they are very avoidable.

The "fear" also keeps you vigilant on the road which is also very necessary. I posted recently about a Lincoln Navigator that decided my space was hers ever AFTER seeing me. The practice and study I've done made it fairly easy to get out of trouble and I went on smiling.

Have fun, welcome to mb.com and the fun that is a Buddy scooter!!!

Again- that "I rode to work I rode home, nothing happened" thread is in my sig and it's a good balance to the crash reports, so check it out.
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

I had SCADS of second thoughts along the line of "I'm gonna die, I am SO gonna die!" It didn't help that it took me months to get my licence etc. so LOTS of time for second thoughts. Every day I almost put it up for sale! But now I commute to work (6 whole miles!) and chant all the things I learned in MSF class and really love riding my pretty little Buddy.

Don't tell, but I still walk it down my steep driveway and get on at the bottom!
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

Scooter Bug, I just got my Buddy the beginning of July. I commute 12.5 miles to work a couple of days a week now. Its the very first 2 wheeled motorized vehicle that I've ever operated for riding before.

As for me, My husband grew up with motorcycles and has a motorcycle, a Ural with a sidecar. So DH has lots of experience with them. He tried to teach me how to drive his Ural, but after the second lesson where I cracked it up :( , I decided to wait to ride a MC until I could take the MSF beginners class. But I already had a helmet and a jacket for riding in the sidecar. :)

I was nervous putting money down, and when I got the call that the scooter came in, I had major butterflies. DH drove me over to the dealer after work to get the scooter, and had his jacket, helmet and gloves in the car. He followed me home in the car. I drove home like a little old lady, about 20 mph. When you're not used to it, it can be scary having cars go by at speed. I practiced in parking lots and around the neighborhood until I was more comfortable on it. Then one weekend morning, I rode my route to work with DH following me in the car. He kept the idiot cagers off my tail and was able to let me be much more comfortable being on the road. Unfortunately, that was when we found out that the scooter speedometer reads about 10mph faster than I was traveling. :shock: DH was not pleased when I got to my office that first run. He was afraid I was going to get killed holding up traffic on the main roads. But on the way home, I was able to adjust for the speedometer reading and ride with the flow of traffic better.

For the first several trips to commute to work, I would leave early to avoid the worst of rush hour and DH would follow to work, then come out and follow me home. That way if I got really freaked out, we could trade. Now I'm riding the commute by myself with no real problems.

The biggest thing to remember as others have said is to assume the drivers around you CANNOT or will not see you. Avoid riding in the cages blind spots. I've been training myself to ride with my thumb on the horn and a finger on the back brake lever while I'm in traffic. Be aware and vigilant as you ride.

And have fun with it! I've had more folks grin, nod, and give me the thumbs up while I've been on my scooter. :D I've had lots of people roll down their windows and ask about it as I'm stopped at traffic lights, or after I park it. So go at a comfortable pace and get used to it.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

marsturm wrote:Tonight I was making a left turn, my turn signal was on, I was stopped, awaiting a break in on-coming traffic. A vehicle stopped behind me and layed on the horn.
sounds like it was time to put it on the center stand, get off and go have a chat. :twisted:
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

newslinky wrote:
LisaLisa wrote:1. Be seen. Be as conspicuous as you can.

All of LisaLisa's advice is good advice as is all the other advice here but in regards to this quoted statement I feel the need to repeat the two wheeler mantra "Ride like you are invisible."
I second that and should have said it- ride like you are invisible. But wear conspicuous clothing anyway, because it does help. Before I had a buddy, I used to laugh at the sportbike dudes who rode in "Go Go PowerRangers" togs. But you know what? I noticed them. I hardly ever noticed the guys in black on black motorcycles, until maybe I saw some chrome. When riding, all things equal, I notice the white helmets much faster. Whether you wear conspicuous gear is up to you to decide.

And even if they do see you, you still need to be prepared for them not making good judgments. Which means you wait a second before starting out when the light turns green. You plan escape routes. You always play the whatdoIdoif game.

There's a lot to think about when riding, but don't be overly scared. Your advantage is that your bike is far more maneuverable than a car, and can squeeze out of danger in less space. "Ride like you are invisible" is doable.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.