Idle Adjustment...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NoogaScooter

Idle Adjustment...

Post by NoogaScooter »

Been having some rough idling and occasional stalling when idling lately. Blur's got 1500 bdu on it. Put in a new plug, it may have helped a little.

Got to looking and found the small rubber plugged whole below the seat carrier. Found a screw below there and turned one rotation clockwise. I believe it happened to kick the idle up just a bit and helped.

Is this what that screw is for? Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I believe that would be the idle adjustment screw. Oddly enough.

I had to adjust it on my wife's Buddy. It kept dying at stops.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

...double post, sorry.
Last edited by babblefish on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You turned that screw under the rubber cover in the pet carrier? Oh no! That's the adjustment screw for the muffler bearing and it can cause your engine to seize up and failure of the water thermostat!

Sorry, I'm just kidding. :P Yes, that's your idle adjustment screw and you turned it the correct direction. Don't increase your idle too much though or your clutch will want to engage and your scoot will want to constantly creep forward. If you have to increase the idle to the point the scoot wants to creep in order for the engine to idle smoothly or reliably, something else is wrong and you should have the ignition system and/or the carburator mixture screws checked out. Or, you may have gotten a bad tank of gas.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

They're all wrong.

It's the ejection seat preload setting :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Some dealers don't check the valve clearances at the first service. If the air/fuel mix screw or the idle screw don't set your idle quite right, I'd check the vavles.

For a rough idle on a stock Blur, you've got the three variables: Idle speed screw, air/fuel mix screw, or valve adjustment. Take it to a dealer if you're uncomfortable diagnosing between the three.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

3 things tend to go back on these motors; even the cheapy chinese versions:

1) plugs
2) fuel
3) valves

Very rarely will you have to mess with the air/fuel mixture screw unless the dealer didn't do it properly
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Is there a consensus on what is the normal idle RPM? At a certain point my Blur was dying on me at stops on the first few blocks of each ride (seemed to be OK after riding for several minutes), so I set it to 2000RPM and now it doesn't die. But I feel like it may be a little high. Turning it on with the centerstand up, I see the rear wheel turning at idle, not too much but I think the ideal is for it not to move at all (= clutch disengaged)?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

For the Blur, idle spec is 1900 rpm +/- 200 rpm. So 1700-2100 is within spec. I would say to turn it down as low as it will run smoothly. No point is making it rev more than it needs to while you're just sitting there.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

beelzebubbles wrote:Is there a consensus on what is the normal idle RPM? At a certain point my Blur was dying on me at stops on the first few blocks of each ride (seemed to be OK after riding for several minutes), so I set it to 2000RPM and now it doesn't die. But I feel like it may be a little high. Turning it on with the centerstand up, I see the rear wheel turning at idle, not too much but I think the ideal is for it not to move at all (= clutch disengaged)?
Almost sounds like your choke isn't working correctly. The choke is electrically operated, so check it's electrical connections.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

beelzebubbles wrote:Is there a consensus on what is the normal idle RPM? At a certain point my Blur was dying on me at stops on the first few blocks of each ride (seemed to be OK after riding for several minutes), so I set it to 2000RPM and now it doesn't die. But I feel like it may be a little high. Turning it on with the centerstand up, I see the rear wheel turning at idle, not too much but I think the ideal is for it not to move at all (= clutch disengaged)?
FWIW
I happened to check the gage this morning while stopped at a light after fully warmed up - the dial was sitting on the 2000rpm mark.

dont know why I would believe that dial anymore than the odo or speedo though :roll:
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Same here.
2000 rpm at idle
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I swear I read that the idle spec was 1900 +/- 200 rpm, but then I found it in the downloaded manual at 1900 +/- 100 RPM, which really isn't much different as I'd think you'd still shoot for 1900. But then on the sticker in the pet carrier, it specs it at 1700rpm.

haha.. this stuff makes me crazy. Or maybe it's 1700 rpm actual and 1900 indicated? Who knows.....
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

i noticed over the weekend while on the center stand my Buddy's rear wheel is spinning sometimes and other times it's not. even from origin to destination of an individual trip, it might be different. the grip is definitely not stuck in a throttled position so seems like we're having the same issue. have you learned any more about whats going on?