The feel good thread of the year!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Becktastic

The feel good thread of the year!

Post by Becktastic »

I thought we needed more cheerful threads like the "Nothing Happened" thread, so am starting one of "nice things people have said about my scooter".

The other day a girl saw me getting ready to ride, she works in the complex and sees my scooter a lot. She just stopped me to say "Your scooter is beautiful!" :oops:

Then, stopped at a light one night, two young guys on skateboards were waiting to cross. One of them pointed excitedly and said "Awesome! I have to get me one of those!" I gave them the thumbs up and sped off.

Today a girl smiled at me as I was locking up my scoot. As I walked away the Xena lock made it's armed -BEEP- and startled her, she looked back over her shoulder and nodding and said "Niiiiiice!" and I'm all "Oh yeah, I got a sweet alarm system on this puppy ;)"
Lift heavy eat clean!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Nice topic Beck.

The nicest some DID in response to my scooter: since I purchased my scoot in April, 2 doctors and one physician's assistant have gotten scooters as well.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

The other day my wife was getting ready to take off on her orange buddy. a hipster walks by, never looks at her directly,and as he passes he says, "Nice Bubu." :lol:

I thought the mental visual of that was fantastic!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

verdecalavera wrote:a hipster walks by, never looks at her directly,and as he passes he says, "Nice Bubu."
You positive he was talking about the scooter? :lol:
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont get compliments all the time, but over all here are some things people have said or done.

At a stop light, I was in the left lane, 3rd vehicle, on the right lane a car stopped right next to me, still 2-3 cars away until the stop light, awkward that it just stopped with nothing ahead of it, I turned by head and the woman said she loved my orange scooter.

At a gas station a guy told me he used to ride old vespas and fix them, he heard of the stella, but was into motorcycles now.

A girl parked her scooter next time mine at my church, I asked her if that was her bike, and told her I had the bike parked next to hers, she said she had wondered who's nice bike it was.

A couple of people ask me out their car windows, how many MPG I get, and how much the bike cost.

A woman once told me her husband was looking for a scooter, I gave her a metro scooter card and told them to go visit dave and seth, as anything they sell is high quality.

There's many others, but I just cant remember them all.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I think the biggest compliment that I've gotten so far is the fact that I was the only scooter at my office building at the begining of the summer. After speaking with me there is now a Vespa LX-150, a Lambretta Uno, another Buddy, a smaller Honda motorcycle, a Yamaha crotch rocket, and two Harleys. I think immitation is the best form of flattery :)

I've also had several highschoolish guys pull up next to me and ask me how the hell my scooter goes so fast, because scooters are only supposed to do 40! ;)
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

Orange Guy wrote:
verdecalavera wrote:a hipster walks by, never looks at her directly,and as he passes he says, "Nice Bubu."
:shock: not entirely, or at all rather. very well might not have been. now that i think of it, how many hipsters know the buddy is a bubu?
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Hahah yeah there are now four scooters in my work complex :)
Lift heavy eat clean!
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

The other day I was riding home and got myself caught up in a huge traffic mess from the Tampabay Rays game ending. It was already dark out and I was riding with my very bright yellow Hi-rez armored coat. There was a 4WD jeep with 4 young people coming from the game sitting next to me in stopped traffic and the driver yelled over... "Hey, how much did you pay for that".. quickly thought of some smart ass response to him thinking he was going to give me crap.. but I just answered his question and he actually surprised me with his answer. he said .. "Cool, it looks Great".. That definitely made the wait in traffic much more bearable. :)

I have had almost 99% positive response in the 2 months I have owned a scooter and this was just another nice person giving me a complement on my ride. :D
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
hackett

Post by hackett »

For some reason, 90% of the compliments I get about the scooter are from middle-aged women.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... it's just an observation.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
bunny

Post by bunny »

Things I've heard:

Nice decal job.

Great looking scooter!

I see your scooter every morning and it makes me smile to see the daisies.

LOVE your scooter (yelled out to me by a passing cager)

OTOH, I see a lot of people do double takes and smile when it registers what they're looking at.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Queen

Post by Queen »

We've started having an informal scooter gathering in the parking area at work, any time I go out the the parking area there will be 2-5 people moving their scooters in and out of the spaces (it's a college campus so the players change hourly). We chat about rides, weather, parking fees...and inevitably end up answering a ton of questions about the scoots from passers by.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

The nicest complement I receive is when I pull into the BP station and hear, "Long time, no see".
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

verdecalavera wrote:
Orange Guy wrote:
:shock: not entirely, or at all rather. very well might not have been. now that i think of it, how many hipsters know the buddy is a bubu?
Maybe the reason he was not looking directly at her was that he was looking at a small bear accompanying a large bear with a craving for pic-a-nic baskets. :lol:

EDIT: I use humor to fill the void of having to wait, and wait, for my Buddy. :sigh:
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

The motorcycle parking area at my office is often pretty full, but had never seen a scooter in there until I got mine. Now there's one other buddy that parks there, and a 3 or 4 new "fair weather" scooterists on maxi-scoots.

I've gotten stopped while at the grocery store, the university that I visit friends at often, the hardware store with nice people excited about the scooter.

*Knock on wood* I have yet to have anyone actually give me shit about the scoot. A few somewhat puzzled as to why I didn't go for a "real bike", but they were never mean, more curious. My stock answer of "a lot cheaper to by, and a lot cheaper to fuel up" usually makes them acknowledge that I've got them there.
charltons

Post by charltons »

I had a teacher colleague call it a "motorcycle" . I guess my Buddy is getting it's proper respect now. 8)
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I had a high school girl SCREAM out her window as she passed me (going in the opposite direction) "cool scooter!".

I was in the right turn lane behind a small pickup when the passenger leaned out the window and turned and yelled "awesome scooter!" as they turned!

I've received numerous nice remarks at the gas station and various stores around town. In fact, I've only ever received one negative remark in the roughly 15 months I've had my scoot (and I'm not sure that it was yelled at me)! Buddy = happiness!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Once when I was stopped in traffic next to a car with a little boy (5 or 6 years old) looking out his open car window. He shyly smiled at me, and I nodded and revved it a little. He almost turned inside out he was so excited. I revved it again and he gave me two thumbs up and blew me a big kiss.

Oh, yeah.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

A Harley guy stopped next to me at a traffic light. He said he liked my bike and asked me about my MPG. He was blown away when I told him I got 90 MPG. He told me all about his recent trip to Idaho before he sped off. I thought about gunning Buddy to show off my little scooter's incredible acceleration, but didn't want to press my luck.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I love telling people that I spend less than $15 a month on gas. It always ends up with the other person shaking their head saying, "I should get me one of those."
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Sputnik wrote:A Harley guy stopped next to me at a traffic light. He said he liked my bike and asked me about my MPG. He was blown away when I told him I got 90 MPG. He told me all about his recent trip to Idaho before he sped off. I thought about gunning Buddy to show off my little scooter's incredible acceleration, but didn't want to press my luck.
And a piece of me is saying "You should've gunned it!" 90+mpg and acceleration!
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
audrey

Post by audrey »

I was getting ready to pull out of a parking lot on my scoot when a convertible with the top down rides by and a woman in the passenger's seat excitedly yells out, "A Buddy!", with a big smile on her face.

I was unlocking Vera after coming out of the grocery store and a woman comes up to me and says she like my scooter. She asks the usual about the mpg, fun riding, etc. But before she leaves she gives Vera a long overlook and says to me, "That is a very nice scooter, thanks for talking".

Cecelia and I rode into the Autozone parking lot, looking for silverstar bulbs. A woman comes over from an office next to the store as she saw us pull in. She says the scooter looks sharp and loves the whitewalls and the style. She has a Metroplitan but after seeing my scooter she was talking about selling the Metropolitan and getting a nicer scooter like mine and one with some more power.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Huge (HUGE) man in the passenger seat of a passing minivan laughing so hard (good-naturedly) at my wife and me riding two-up that we both burst out laughing.

Nasty punk approaches me in Quiki-Mart parking lot and says sarcastically "You look real tough riding that scooter." I respond "65 mph on 10 inch wheels is as tough as I get." Nice (a relief) because the reply just popped into mind.

Neighborhood kids yell "Scooter" or "Beast" (word of the year) all the time.
Lots of smiles from cagers.
Clearly.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

loodieboy wrote: Nasty punk approaches me in Quiki-Mart parking lot and says sarcastically "You look real tough riding that scooter." I respond "65 mph on 10 inch wheels is as tough as I get." Nice (a relief) because the reply just popped into mind.
Thats awesome. I'm going to have to remember that one!
onlyagibson

Post by onlyagibson »

I was in line at the gas station on Tuesday here in Atlanta (aka the city without gas) and an old Marine Vietnam Vet pulls up beside me in the next line. He rolls down the window and and says nice scooter. How much MPG? How much does it cost? etc. We end up talking for about 15 minutes (the joy of waiting for gas in the ATL). When we finally get to our pumps he asks where I bought it and could he get the phone number. Luckily I had a Scooter Superstore of America card on me. I keep wondering if I will see him zipping around town on a Buddy!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

verdecalavera wrote:
Orange Guy wrote:
Well hipsters sort of pride themselves on being "in the know." The sure sign of a hipster is calling something by its proper, instead of its common name.
fhujay

Post by fhujay »

Every morning, I have to pass a group of middle school kids who are waiting for the bus. It's at a stop sign, so there's always that awkward "I have to stop here for a second even though there are no cars around but to look up the road, I have to look directly 'through' the group of kids" moment. One day, the "big kid" (You know, the one who has physically developed early. He's about a foot taller than anyone else and is therefore the de facto leader.) yells at me. I knew it would happen eventually. But he surprised me...

"DANG...DAT BOY GOT SOME WHEEEEEELS!!"

Kids cheered. 8)

Come to think of it, I guess (as far as scooters go) I am rollin' on dubs.
Attachments
Check out my sweet rims.
Check out my sweet rims.
kymP150green.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

i guess making someone day could go in this category too. the first time i drove into the liquor store parking lot and started to park. a guy that worked there started laughing hysterically, not sure if i looked like a circus bear or what but for some reason he thought it was incredibly funny. it made me chuckle too. in the end, i'm not real sure why either of us was laughing. also of note, i think the pet carrier was designed to perfectly fit handle bottles.
bunny

Post by bunny »

pugbuddy wrote:Buddy = happiness!
And THAT'S exactly why her name is Bonheur! :D
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

fhujay wrote:
Come to think of it, I guess (as far as scooters go) I am rollin' on dubs.
Needs spinners!
etak

Post by etak »

At a stop sign, on my bright red Buddy. Little boy (about 4 yo) standing on corner, looks at me. His eyes open wide, his mouth opens wide, and he says "Oh, WOW!" I wave at him, he waves back, and off I ride. I felt like a superhero!
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Little Boy: "Scooters are for giiirrrllls."
Little Girl: "Scooters are for EVERYONE, stupid!"
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I was stopped at a red light in an area with lots of pedestrians. A middle aged couple was standing on the corner to my right waiting to cross. I overhear the husband say to the wife "That's one of the NICE looking scooters" and when they crossed in front of me they both waved and said "Ride safe!"

Another nearby red light, I pass another strolling couple, and I overhear "That's beautiful!"

And one of my more recent favorite moments was when I pulled into a neighborhood of little side streets heading home, and end up behind a guy on a Honda Met. I was riding behind him for awhile and I wasn't sure if he noticed me, until he slowed to take a right and I see him coming to a near stop in the middle of the road to look back at me. I slowed down to wave and got a huge wave back from him. I sensed jealousy. I'll give it to the little Mets...they are cute. But boy are they slow.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Jeez, I hope to get one of these scooter complements some day. So far all that's happened is I've taken a lot of S#@$ and heard a lot of old jokes about mopeds/scooters/etc from friends and the folks at work. :)
Although I expected it. My usual comeback generally has something to do with the price of gas ... about the only good thing about the rising price of gas these days. :)

Rob
scooterinvasion

Post by scooterinvasion »

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I rented a couple of scooters in Lake Genva. As we were waiting at a traffic light, a carload of young ladies smiled as they turned left in front of us from the adjacent intersection. My friend turned to me with a you-know-what-eating grin on his face. I said to him, "Yes but are they smiling at us or laughing at us?" A mother and her son, responding in unison from the car next to us explained, "Laughing at you."

Grrrr....talk about stomping all over one's self-esteem.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Waiting at a light next to an SV650 a carload of doofuses shouted "His is better" to which I responded, "Not for picking up girls" :wink:
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

scooterinvasion wrote:A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I rented a couple of scooters in Lake Genva. As we were waiting at a traffic light, a carload of young ladies smiled as they turned left in front of us from the adjacent intersection. My friend turned to me with a you-know-what-eating grin on his face. I said to him, "Yes but are they smiling at us or laughing at us?" A mother and her son, responding in unison from the car next to us explained, "Laughing at you."

Grrrr....talk about stomping all over one's self-esteem.
Don't let people dis your scooter dude.

Just think about guys in those big jacked up trucks and how my friends always jokingly yell "Sorry about your penis!" at them.

So if a big truck=tiny penis...
I'll take a scooter guy any day ;)
Lift heavy eat clean!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Becktastic wrote:So if a big truck=tiny penis...
I'll take a scooter guy any day ;)
:D I just decided to sell my Buddy 125 and get the 50.

Rob
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I was cutting through a Chili's parking lot to get around a light. Waiting outside was a little girl with her mother. The girl was probably about 7 years old. She was all dolled up in her Sunday best holding a big helium balloon. I wondered if it was her birthday. As I drove up on my bright orange Buddy with a bright yellow toolbox topcase and my red jacket/candy apple red helmet, she broke out in an absolutely huge and precious smile. I waved as I rode slowly by and she excitedly waved back.

It really made me smile. But when I think back, I wonder if it really was her birthday and she thought I was her ride. And all I did was wave and drive by. I hope that wasn't the case because I probably broke her little heart if that's what she was hoping for.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

k1dude wrote:I was cutting through a Chili's parking lot to get around a light. Waiting outside was a little girl with her mother. The girl was probably about 7 years old. She was all dolled up in her Sunday best holding a big helium balloon. I wondered if it was her birthday. As I drove up on my bright orange Buddy with a bright yellow toolbox topcase and my red jacket/candy apple red helmet, she broke out in an absolutely huge and precious smile. I waved as I rode slowly by and she excitedly waved back.

It really made me smile. But when I think back, I wonder if it really was her birthday and she thought I was her ride. And all I did was wave and drive by. I hope that wasn't the case because I probably broke her little heart if that's what she was hoping for.
Naw, but I think she's switching next years wish from a pony to a scoot ;)
Lift heavy eat clean!
Queen

Post by Queen »

On my way home tonight with a 12 pack of Corona tucked between my feet I got this from a young wanna-be-gangster hanging out at the gas station "that's what I'm TALKIN' about, yeeahh". :P
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I took my wife lunch the other day. There has been ongoing road construction, ahve the road closed to one way etc.. anyway, I get to the guy holding the stop and slow sign.. it's on stop. He says hey, there's a cute girl on one of those I see a lot. It's orange.. do you know her?

Ha, yeah, that's my wife :D He smiled and commented how great "those things" are haha.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I was told by my fiance's great grandmother that it makes her smile whenever she sees it. She had ridden a vespa when she was younger :)

I've had a big harley dude tell me "Great Scoot" at a traffic light. He was being followed by a SNL who also nodded in approval. (We then started out little 2 wheeled gang for about 3 miles until the other scooter turned)
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Stopped at a light today a cager complimented my scooter and the way it matched my gear :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
charltons

Post by charltons »

A friend of mine saw my scoot for the first time the other day. He rides sportbikes FAST. He thought the Pamplona was great. Just goes to show, REAL riders appreciate scooters. It's the wanna-bes who scoff.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
rajron

Post by rajron »

My Mom is coming to town, with her sister-in-law. I don’t get to see them that often anymore because they live so far away - I'm looking forward to the visit.
It will be a feel good time.