Magazines/Books?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Magazines/Books?

Post by Rob »

I did a search with a resulting high number of results, but I didn't see what I was looking for. So, I hope this isn't something that's already been asked and answered.

Anyway, again, being new to the scootin' thing, I'm still trying to read and learn. I know there are at least two magazines out there dedicated to this ... Scooter World and Scoot as well as several different books.

I'm looking for opinions of these magazines or perhaps others that I might be unaware of and also any books or reference materials that you might recommend.

Thanks,
Rob
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Vroom with a View and Spotted in France. Two great scooter books! Almost nothing technical or informative in either one.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I have read one issue of Scoot! so far and liked it. I do not feel like it was choc full of technical know-how but it was a decent magazine to read. As I understand it it only has 4 issues a year so your not going to be piling them up very fast. There is this awesome source of information especially for Buddy's called modernbuddy.com ... :lol: Just kidding...oh ok sorry I know it wasn't all that funny but it made me smile anyway.

Scooterworld I haven't tried yet but will look and see if I can find a copy of tomorrow. If you are looking for two wheeled riding advice get a hold of a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. I keep hearing it is a great source of good riding tips. I have yet to read it myself but so many people have commented on it in a positive manner it has to have good info in it.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Remember, don't read books while riding. It's rather dangerous.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

newslinky wrote:I have read one issue of Scoot! so far and liked it. I do not feel like it was choc full of technical know-how but it was a decent magazine to read. As I understand it it only has 4 issues a year so your not going to be piling them up very fast.
Scoot! is supposed to be bimonthly but they have chronic production and deadline issues. Also, my local B&N used to carry it but no longer does. Darn them. I get it from my dealer.

Proficient Motorcycling is widely recognized as the best book out there on riding. We're even doing a contest to give a copy away!
topic8243.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The only scooter magazine I read (suscribed) is Twist & Go (TAG) out of England (http://www.twistngo.com/). Good mix of reviews, previews and technical stuff without too much of the boring club events stuff (which are mostly in England anyway). They also give a very pragmatic view of Chinese made scooters and base their opinions on actual hands-on experience. Mostly modern/sports auto scooters and auto motorcycles, although in the last issue, they talked about a company that converts Lambrettas to a 4-stroke auto without impacting the outside appearance too much. There's also an interesting Gilera maxiscooter with a 835cc V-twin engine. In the back of each issue (about 6-8 pages worth), they have pictures and specs for scooters starting at 50cc up to 500cc and over. The only bad thing about this is that most (90%?) of the scooters are not available in the U.S. Makes me sick everytime I open the magazine. :cry: :roll:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:There's also an interesting Gilera maxiscooter with a 835cc V-twin engine.
That's the GP800; same engine as the Aprilia Mana automatic motorcycle. The kind of maxi I might be able to get behind. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ericalm wrote:
babblefish wrote:There's also an interesting Gilera maxiscooter with a 835cc V-twin engine.
That's the GP800; same engine as the Aprilia Mana automatic motorcycle. The kind of maxi I might be able to get behind. :)
Keep dreaming Ericalm, you'll never see those on these shores!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Keep dreaming Ericalm, you'll never see those on these shores!
Probably not. I think most US buyers would look at it and go, "Why not just get a motorcycle?" The only response that would make sense is, "Uh… storage?" But really what I'd want to say is, "Because it's an 850cc scooter! That's just ridiculous and awesome at the same time, right? Of course! Wanna race?"
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I look at it as more than just storage - I see convenience and comfort. No shifting, nice fairing in front of me and the ability to move my feet/legs around. And basically, just to be different from the crowd. I might be seeing a Yamaha T-Max in my future... 8)
cruzzer

Post by cruzzer »

i read some mags online with anyone can sub to i read
Motorcyclist
Twist & Go Magazine
and for the spanish readers Scootermania
all at zinio.com :wink:
no matter where you go there you are. Image Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

olhogrider wrote:Vroom with a View and Spotted in France. Two great scooter books! Almost nothing technical or informative in either one.
:D That's why I asked. Left to my own devices, that's generally what I'd purchase.

Rob
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

ericalm wrote:
newslinky wrote:I have read one issue of Scoot! so far and liked it. I do not feel like it was choc full of technical know-how but it was a decent magazine to read. As I understand it it only has 4 issues a year so your not going to be piling them up very fast.
Scoot! is supposed to be bimonthly but they have chronic production and deadline issues. Also, my local B&N used to carry it but no longer does. Darn them. I get it from my dealer.

Proficient Motorcycling is widely recognized as the best book out there on riding. We're even doing a contest to give a copy away!
topic8243.html
And of course there's the second book More Proficient Motorcycling....These are *terrific* sources of riding information!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Rob

Post by Rob »

newslinky wrote:I have read one issue of Scoot! so far and liked it. I do not feel like it was choc full of technical know-how but it was a decent magazine to read. As I understand it it only has 4 issues a year so your not going to be piling them up very fast. There is this awesome source of information especially for Buddy's called modernbuddy.com ... :lol: Just kidding...oh ok sorry I know it wasn't all that funny but it made me smile anyway.

Scooterworld I haven't tried yet but will look and see if I can find a copy of tomorrow. If you are looking for two wheeled riding advice get a hold of a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. I keep hearing it is a great source of good riding tips. I have yet to read it myself but so many people have commented on it in a positive manner it has to have good info in it.
I've had some problems trying to get in contact with the folks at Scoot. But hopefully they'll return my email eventually.

I just read the post about the "Proficient Motorcycling" contest. I'm too lazy to do the little work required to get involved in something like that. but I'll go ahead and order the book online.

Thanks for the reply.

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

LisaLisa wrote:Remember, don't read books while riding. It's rather dangerous.
:D Yes I know ... that's why I text instead.

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

babblefish wrote:The only scooter magazine I read (suscribed) is Twist & Go (TAG) out of England (http://www.twistngo.com/). Good mix of reviews, previews and technical stuff without too much of the boring club events stuff (which are mostly in England anyway). They also give a very pragmatic view of Chinese made scooters and base their opinions on actual hands-on experience. Mostly modern/sports auto scooters and auto motorcycles, although in the last issue, they talked about a company that converts Lambrettas to a 4-stroke auto without impacting the outside appearance too much. There's also an interesting Gilera maxiscooter with a 835cc V-twin engine. In the back of each issue (about 6-8 pages worth), they have pictures and specs for scooters starting at 50cc up to 500cc and over. The only bad thing about this is that most (90%?) of the scooters are not available in the U.S. Makes me sick everytime I open the magazine. :cry: :roll:
Thanks for the info. I just checked out the website and it does look interesting. I'll have to do the price conversion but I'm expecting to pay a premium price. I currently subscribe to an excellent English photo mag, but it is very pricey.

As for the 835cc scoot ... I think perhaps I better master the Buddy 125 before I start dreaming. :)

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:

topic8243.html
That seems to support my experience with the Scoot folks so far ... very little, welll actually no response to a phone message or email.

I'll order the Proficient Motorcycling ... thanks for the tip.

Rob
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Rob wrote:Thanks for the info. I just checked out the website and it does look interesting. I'll have to do the price conversion but I'm expecting to pay a premium price. I currently subscribe to an excellent English photo mag, but it is very pricey.

As for the 835cc scoot ... I think perhaps I better master the Buddy 125 before I start dreaming. :)

Thanks again,
Rob
I think I paid around $50 for a 1 year suscription (bi-monthly). There is a US distributor of the magazine along with several other British mags. I'll look for their information and post it.
spinbud

mags/books

Post by spinbud »

The mags are all about vintage and italian scooters. Go to scooterworks and order the Scoot mag that features your ride. Then just pick up the odd magazine at the bookstore before subscribing. I've been waiting
months for a Haynes manual. Most importantly, download the service manual on this site, put it in a notebook and study it well.
babblefish

Re: mags/books

Post by babblefish »

spinbud wrote:The mags are all about vintage and italian scooters. Go to scooterworks and order the Scoot mag that features your ride. Then just pick up the odd magazine at the bookstore before subscribing. I've been waiting
months for a Haynes manual. Most importantly, download the service manual on this site, put it in a notebook and study it well.
Not Twist & Go... :D