% Scooter vs. Cage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

% Scooter vs. Cage

Post by pcbikedude »

Now that I've been riding over 18 months, I've notice that I'm riding my scooter a whole lot more than driving my truck.

I would guess that I'm now 80% scooter vs. 20% cage (even in the winter).

Has anyone else's driving habits changed?
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Big time. My van gets fired up tomorrow morning to take some scouts to a trail head for a 12 mile hike. Other than scout stuff it is now pretty much retired.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

i got my buddy in JUne of 2008 and ive drivin my car twice I ride day night rain or shine hot or cold waiting to try it on some snow new england rocks
Attachments
capt.cps.muj70.230608083533.photo00.photo.default-512x355.jpg
capt.cps.muj70.230608083533.photo00.photo.default-512x355.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
charltons

Post by charltons »

My truck gets driven about once a week.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

"even in the winter"? you are in san diego! you don't have a winter!

let's see...I got my Buddy at the beginning of June. Last week I put gas in my car for the first time since May.

I'd put my usage at 95% scooter, 5% car. We will see how I do when the real cold starts.
cmccann

Post by cmccann »

Since I bought my scooter in mid-August, I've driven my car about three times. I purchased a cycle jacket and balaclava (still need better gloves) to extend the season. I envy those of you in warmer climates. Manchester - I feel your cold!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Absolutely. Its now 100% Scoot, 0% cage, unless I'm going to the race track.
My car is 100% racecar these days.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I drive my car a few miles a week just to keep the juices flowing. Also it gets a little use when I have to go somewhere with my wife and daughter. That's about it.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
skibum

Post by skibum »

djelliott wrote:I drive my car a few miles a week just to keep the juices flowing. Also it gets a little use when I have to go somewhere with my wife and daughter. That's about it.

Dustin
I miss Frank Zappa ...
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Car battery died of neglect.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

betsy q. bramble wrote:"even in the winter"? you are in san diego! you don't have a winter!

let's see...I got my Buddy at the beginning of June. Last week I put gas in my car for the first time since May.

I'd put my usage at 95% scooter, 5% car. We will see how I do when the real cold starts.
I second that! I grew up in San Diego (miss it big time) and now live in Denver. I bought my Buddy this Summer and my pre-Dawn commute has been gettin' pretty cold! I drive my truck if rain is expected (I drove it once when it was raining in the morning). We'll see how the rest of Fall goes and how much I can scooter in the Winter. My plan is to ride the scooter whenever I possibly can.
I still drive my truck on weekends when the family goes somewhere together.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I'd measure 75 -25 scoot - car use. Mainly the cage is used transporting the kids and when I know I have to make a big grocery run. I also still avoid riding in stormy weather when I know it is coming. In every instance when I am in the cage I find myself thinking how great it would be to be riding Spirit instead of trundling along in my cage.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Ha, I bought my Buddy and the poor car sat there unused almost a month. Then, when I tried to drive it, I found I -loathed- the massive thing. So I let it sit a couple more weeks and then sold it. :P

Now I'm 100% scooter!
Lift heavy eat clean!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I still have an adult child living at home so the grocery runs are still large and I have a house that requires a Home Depot run from time to time. Also, work sometimes requires me to move large equipment on occasion.

These are the only reasons I still have my truck.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

100%-0% sold the car. There's always city car share just in case.
Tenchi

Still driving a car about 80% of the time....but...

Post by Tenchi »

the beauty of a scoot is when the boss (wife) needs something or other at the grocery store and I volunteer to hop onto Scootie and get it for her. Scootie is more recreational than functional for me, but once I upgrade to something above 80cc, I might change my habits. Too many nuts out here in San Jose to compete with a Honda Elite 80...need (Tim Taylor voice here).....more POWER!
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

Unless I need the cargo capacity of the car, I use my Buddy. For me, that means every Sunday, and 2 trips to the lumber yard since 6/5/08.
JNV

Scooter vs. Cage

Post by JNV »

I sold my truck back in May. I don't regret it. Even though I actually have access to one of three company cars, I don't take them not even in the rain. Plus I have some good riding gear for winter and South Texas does not really get all that cold.
sunbunny

Post by sunbunny »

I am 85% car :cry: I can't wait til my daughter can drive (she's 11) for now I am taxi cab driver to a tween!
My other problem is getting a turn on my 110 rattler from my son who has taken over my scooter! Thats why I'm thinking of buying another scooter. I'm waiting to see the 09's. A 200cc Genuine would be on my Christmas list!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

sunbunny wrote:I am 85% car :cry: I can't wait til my daughter can drive (she's 11) for now I am taxi cab driver to a tween!
My other problem is getting a turn on my 110 rattler from my son who has taken over my scooter! Thats why I'm thinking of buying another scooter. I'm waiting to see the 09's. A 200cc Genuine would be on my Christmas list!
Thats easy to fix, buy her a helmet and ride two up! I do with my wife all the time!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I have no idea about % of use but my goal this yr was to bicycle/scoot to work 60x which would roughly be 25% of the time. Despite a late start due to a cold/crappy spring in MN I believe I'm pretty close.
I installed a windshield (on Buddy) about a month ago which will aid in motivating to scoot on those 25-30degree mornings. The problem is my fogging glasses inside my full-face helmet.