Only in Southern California (or perhaps elsewhere)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cadillaczac

Only in Southern California (or perhaps elsewhere)

Post by cadillaczac »

So it seems that even going the speed limit (or five to ten miles per hour over) is not enough for the drivers on the roads these days. Do they think scooters can not go the spped limit? After picking up my new scooter and riding over 80 miles in the rain (with a smile still on my face and not a care in the world), I was passed by a lady driving in the bike lane less than five miles from home. After tailgaiting me for perhaps a block she made her move to the right and proceeded to pass me and cut me off on the way back into my lane. I don't usually pay much attention to the bike lane behind me and was scared s@#&less when I noticed this car coming up on me. My question is, who's been in this situation (or something similar) and how do you handle these situations? I immediatly went from happy to angry, honking the horn and giving a one finger salute, and could only think of catching up to her and doing something awful (although not the best answer). Regardless I ended up putting 240 miles on my scooter in 24 hours, a perfect ending to an otherwise rough starting weekend.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's a mentality, most people think scooters are slow, so they ride up your rear end. Then even when you go over the legal limit, they still ride up your end not knowing how fast they themselves are going because they think you are holding them back.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

that's an average of 10mph :P

in kansas i was going over the speed limit when a semi truck came right up on my back wheel, we were just going by a sign that read "passing zone 1/2 mile" i pointed to the sign and kept going. The truck backed off a little, i thought for a second he was able to wait the 1/2 mile but instead he was slowing down to pass me on the shoulder. i was pissed, i gave the guy the finger as he passed so in turn he swerved hard to the left forcing me into the other lane. his truck was the type with two trailers on it so i had to stay in the other lane for a while as i slowed to let him pass. i was really lucky there was no oncoming traffic. it was a total dick move on his part but it will be a while before i flip someone off again, especially a trucker.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
WildVitality

Post by WildVitality »

I know some people who throw a clear marble at the windshield of the cage that nearly cost them their lives. It cracks the windshield, and gets the point across. Clear because they never know what hit them, and the marble can't be found. I'd be too afraid of the fallout with the pissed off driver!
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

Tailgaters do this to every vehicle. If you are in front of them they must pass you to validate their fragile egos. Maintain situational awareness. When you see a vehicle rapidly gaining on you, pull over and let them pass. Its nothing personal, they will do the same to the next obstacle they encounter on their unhappy journey.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I am learning to adopt a zen attitude while riding. People in cages act like caged animals. Sullen, prone to sudden mood swings and irrational behaviour. Adopting a zena ttitude helps toa void confrontations with caged people and doing so is a really good thing. Reason in cage vs scoot the scoot will always lose whether or not you are in the right.

Zen meditation subject #1: (To be meditated on while riding the scoot) Which is better, to allow the rudeness or wrongness of another to pass uncontested and make it to my destination safe and in one piece? Or to risk serious injury and maybe even death to insure my pride is intact by proving I am right? :idea:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Jake

Post by Jake »

My favorite thing is when people roll out from a side street/parking lot slowly, knowing that if you weren't there, they would punch it to be traffic coming from the other lane. And they're all hesitant to hesitate, and you don't know if they see you, and they keep creeping, trying to eek through.

And also when people underestimate your current speed by about 20mph because you're small. The fools.
UXO

Post by UXO »

It won't be a cure all, but more cowbell and more lights wouldn't hurt!
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

I have problems with people getting in my lane.
Like when I am waiting to make a left hand turn and they are behind me waiting to turn right. They squeeze to the right of me (in my lane) and almost run over my foot trying to get by so they can turn! :livid:
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

from what i noticed about driving habits and speed you should expect that when a sign says 30 miles an hour people drive 40 to 50 when it says 60 they drive 80 just human nature. humans are so unconcious when they drive because they think that their cars are so safe air bags, suspension,
noise control ect its called detachment from reallity your not another driver just an obstical thats just the facts of life.......
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

mandyscoots wrote:I have problems with people getting in my lane.
Like when I am waiting to make a left hand turn and they are behind me waiting to turn right. They squeeze to the right of me (in my lane) and almost run over my foot trying to get by so they can turn! :livid:
I'm not sure I understand your scenario. But if I'm in the right lane, and suspect someone might come up behind me and want to turn right, I always try to stop in the left-hand side of the lane to leave room for them to get by. It is one of the many ways a scooter allows me to be more generous than a car does. There are also times where I will slide past someone in a cage sitting in that spot, so that I can turn right even though they are stopped and waiting to go straight. I figure It's a reciprocal benefit of my being on a scooter. When traffic is moving, crowding and passing is a very different story. But when traffic is stopped, I like to make use of my skinny Buddy's special skillz to keep as many people moving as possible! :D