Colder weather=not as much scootering any suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mandyscoots

Colder weather=not as much scootering any suggestions?

Post by mandyscoots »

Ewww. I is getting colder, into the 30's at night here in the great state of Idaho! And since I work graveyard shift I am either forced to ride in it or cage it!
I got my scoot in April and the evenings were still around 40 and I survived.
Anyone have any great scootering in winter ideas?
Got the FF helmet
Baclava-still cold though and makes major fogging in helmet.
Lined Cortech Jacket
Lined leather gloves

One lady I work with suggested I were overalls ...

Any suggestions would be great. Or are all of you still enjoying nice weather!? :P
Queen

Post by Queen »

They look goofy but I wear my carharts in the winter, they keep my body warm down to about freezing temps. Also, there's a company that sells a defog made for plastic shields that I hear works pretty well, I can look them up if you're interested.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

ride indoors
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Yeah, pastry, while delicious, isn't particularly noted for its insulating abilities. :wink:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

random suggestions:
keep riding until the ice comes and the salt goes down on the road

then:

ride in the garage

travel to locales where you can rent scooters

stare out the window and quaff red wine, eyes welling with tears and the memories

Prozac (I am not at this point. yet)

consider snow mobile??? (again, not at this point yet)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

When first learned to ride, I took the msf in 20-30 degree weather and it was raining like crazy. My legs did not feel too cold, I could feel the cold temperature, but my legs were not freezing to death with just work pants on. My upper body was freezing though, especially my fingers.

I wore 3 sweat shirt/hoddies and was still cold, plus I had summer time riding gloves, which didnt help.

I think having a riding jacket with winter liner in it, plus a sweat shirt or two under neath will help some what, plus some winter gauntlet riding gloves will keep your hands from freezing.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yeah, I am in Denver and the mornings have been getting cold. I commute 22 miles to work at 6 am going ~50 mph so i understand what you are saying.

I tried my snow boarding gloves and while my hands were warm, the gloves prevented movement a bit; especially while reaching for the brake levers - not good! I am going to invest in Winter gloves.

I bought some inexpensive ski pants to wear over my jeans for colder weather. I just bought my scooter this summer and have not worn the ski pants yet. I have been meaning to get out and look for some Carhart double front jeans to wear.
I wear hiking boots and my feet have been OK so far.

Barbosol shaving cream on the inside of your visor will help with the fogging. It's a lot cheaper than specific anti-fog chemicals and smells good!

If you don't mind the look, I have heard great things about the scooter skirts. It attaches around your lap and keeps the wind off.

Also, I will be looking at getting a windscreen. Everyone agrees that this helps with the cold temps while also giving improved MPG and MPH.

Good luck keeping warm! I think some days it is just going to be too cold and we will be stuck with our cages :cry: On the plus side, it is a chance to listen to music on the drive - something I dearly miss!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I recommend any sort of silk or polypropylene thermal underwear. You need those snug under layers to retain your body heat. The Carhardts may help with the wind but they won't help retain much in the way of heat.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

robonz23 wrote:ride indoors
:P
onlyagibson

Post by onlyagibson »

It is moments like this when I appreciate the winter weather in Atlanta. However, we get paid back in full during the summer!
mbrider

Post by mbrider »

To keep warm I wear my rain coat over my leather coat, ski gloves, rain paints and a full face helmet. The rain gear works great to cut the wind and retain body heat (oh yea and when it's raining it also keeps the water out).
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

--Fog City visor insert will stop the faceshield from fogging.

--Scooter skirt or ski pants will keep the legs warm(er). I also recommend the Carhartt insulated work pants or, even better, insulated bibs.

--Proper insulated motorcycle gloves will help.

--Do you have a windscreen? That would also help divert some of the cold air off of your hands.

--Since you don't have to worry about foot controls, you can pretty much wear any type of insulated footwear.

-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Pretty much what everyone has already said. Thermal underwear, Carhartt overalls, insulated gloves, insulated boots (construction worker type boots or Sorels are great).
If your overalls are long that is actually good. You can get a velcro strap and close them at your ankles so no cold air travels upward.
On really cold commutes, get a newspaper and put it inside your jacket as a "shield" You will be amazed how warm it keeps you.

Cheers !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

And for those of you WITHOUT a FF helmet I highly recommend one of these cloth things that go over your ears and cover the bottom of your face. Since I got this only my legs are cold now.
Attachments
Blocks 80% of the wind. Some block 100 but I didn't want that material on my face.
Blocks 80% of the wind. Some block 100 but I didn't want that material on my face.
img003.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

7eregrine wrote:And for those of you WITHOUT a FF helmet I highly recommend one of these cloth things that go over your ears and cover the bottom of your face. Since I got this only my legs are cold now.

AAAAAAAAA, a Ninja!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

Buy a set of universal heated grips.
Thank me ten minutes after you install them and go for a ride.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Layers and toughening up. :lol:

I have some adverse (cold) weather motorcycle pants for sale in the classifieds here...if you have a size 32 waist.

On my 600cc, I used those, a windproof textile jackets, balaclava, motorcycle boots with thick socks, and glove liners under my Icon gloves, and I could ride in 20 degree temps.
gvslim

Re: Colder weather=not as much scootering any suggestions?

Post by gvslim »

mandyscoots wrote:Ewww. I is getting colder, into the 30's at night here in the great state of Idaho! And since I work graveyard shift I am either forced to ride in it or cage it!
Got the FF helmet
Lined Cortech Jacket
Lined leather gloves

Any suggestions would be great. Or are all of you still enjoying nice weather!? :P

Move to Arizona
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Kevin K wrote:--Fog City visor insert will stop the faceshield from fogging.

--Scooter skirt or ski pants will keep the legs warm(er). I also recommend the Carhartt insulated work pants or, even better, insulated bibs.

--Proper insulated motorcycle gloves will help.

--Do you have a windscreen? That would also help divert some of the cold air off of your hands.

--Since you don't have to worry about foot controls, you can pretty much wear any type of insulated footwear.

-K
I've seen references to scooter skirts, but I've been unable to find them anywhere. Does anyone have a link to some. I want to check some out.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
armacham

Post by armacham »

Howardr wrote:
I've seen references to scooter skirts, but I've been unable to find them anywhere. Does anyone have a link to some. I want to check some out.

Howard
Corazzo makes one, I don't think I've seen any others though..

http://corazzo.net/?q=node/191
Eazy

Re: Colder weather=not as much scootering any suggestions?

Post by Eazy »

mandyscoots wrote:Ewww. I is getting colder, into the 30's at night here in the great state of Idaho! And since I work graveyard shift I am either forced to ride in it or cage it!
Got the FF helmet
Lined Cortech Jacket
Lined leather gloves

I'm down in Idaho Falls.

I'm going to try an under hoody this year.

A long with a full face and Corazzo winter gloves.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Just got my Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 overpants today. Now I will be armored and warm.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Barbosol shaving cream on the inside of your visor will help with the fogging. It's a lot cheaper than specific anti-fog chemicals and smells good!

details? Do you leave a film on? or wipe and wash?

I forgot this is 100 % essential:
Neck Gaitors-your scooter shop should have them
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

What's a neck gaitor? I use this old fashioned device called a scarf. :lol:

(Tucked tightly into coat, natch)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

the neck gaitor is 10x better. trust me I thought the same thing. It is completely wind proof, and water resistant.

If can use an old leg or arm of fleece sweat pants/shirt if you want (also better than scarf), but it still is not as good IMO
this is the brand we use, got it at POC
http://www.coolbikerstuff.com/schampa/neckgaiters.php
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

armacham wrote:
Howardr wrote:

Howard

I have one of these that I bought for the rain (not to keep me warm...). I recently got a Frogg Toggs suit so I don't need it anymore. It *IS* really warm and I'll sell it for a decent price if anyone wants it. Mint condish.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I wear insulated over pants (ski pants or snow pants etc) and sometimes wear an old snowmobile suit when it is cold. I don't care what I look like, I just like being warm and riding my scoot.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

armacham wrote:
Howardr wrote:

Howard

Other popular ones are Scooter Skirts, and the Tucano Urbano Thermoscud (European import). The Tucano link also has some hand warmers and other types of leg covers.

I've also seen some homemade ones that were pretty cool.

The Corazzo-style design is better for the Buddy, I think, because it fits over the legs rather than "hanging" off the legshield.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I'm really torn on ordering this stuff from corazzo.

I want it, bad, but I'm cheap.
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

ericalm wrote:
armacham wrote:
Howardr wrote:

Howard

Other popular ones are Scooter Skirts, and the Tucano Urbano Thermoscud (European import). The Tucano link also has some hand warmers and other types of leg covers.

I've also seen some homemade ones that were pretty cool.

The Corazzo-style design is better for the Buddy, I think, because it fits over the legs rather than "hanging" off the legshield.
The corazzo is actually cheaper than the scooter skirt too. I think the corazzo would have much better quality.
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Here's another:
http://www.scooterskirts.com/

And here's a freebie tip. If you're wearing a hoodie under you jacket and it starts getting cold, take off the hoodie and turn it around--instant neck gaiter!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I live in Texas and my work schedule has me riding in to work after the sun sets and home before the sun rises. Worst temps I have seen down here are in the 20's so not bad really. Still I like to be warm so I am planning and slowly acquiring a cold weather gear and equipment set I created a wish list for. here is my suggestions:

Windshield
handcovers
Corazzo Winter Gauntlet
Corazzo Under Hoody
Corazzo Lap Apron
Corazzo 5.0
Joe Rocket 5.0 Ballistic Pants
FF helmet
Sweater/sweatshirt/some other warm comfortable shirt

I am sure wearing all that will keep you taosty with the windshield keeping the wind mostly off you. The hand covers keeping the wind off you winter gloved hands and the skirt keeping the wind off your legs. This pretty effectively removes the wind chill effect and that just leaves overcoming the actual temperature which should easily be done with the gear listed.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A really good jacket is key, too, because a big part of the cold is dealing with wind. You could be wearing a dozen sweaters under a wool coat and you'd still feel it. Leather is great for blocking out wind, but many leather riding jackets are too fitted for layering in winter. (And "fashion" leather from places like Wilson's is neither strong enough nor often warm enough.) I have a great heavy leather motorcycle jacket (from Johnson Leathers in SF) but it's cut somewhat short and doesn't have armor.

Heavy nylon with a good, warm liner and plenty of fasteners and closures for keeping out the wind, moisture and cold is the way to go, IMHO. Some people wear a parka over an armored jacket. Corazzo is reportedly working on a parka—some people have seen the prototypes and say it's great. My favorite winter riding jacket (a Belstaff) doesn't have armor. I'm actually going to be adding armor from Aerostitch to a heavy nylon Spiewak parka. Not the best solution, but I'll be warm and have more protection than in my other jacket. Riding cold is a huge distraction.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

There is a company that already makes an armored parka, and some other armored riding jackets that are much warmer than anything Corazzo has to offer. We recently decided to try carrying them at the shop, and I think they are really nice, but a bit more pricey than Corazzo. They are called Armadillo Scooter Wear... http://armadilloscooterwear.com/

The benefits over Corazzo:
-Much warmer
-Flexible armor that you can barely feel
-More waterproof/windproof
-Styled in a way that can be used an as every day jacket, that doesn't scream RIDING JACKET

Downsides:
-More expensive
-I think only one style so far has reflective parts to it
-Limited colors still
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Howardr wrote: I've seen references to scooter skirts, but I've been unable to find them anywhere. Does anyone have a link to some. I want to check some out.

Howard
Just got my Scooterworks catalog last night, and they carry skirts.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Eazy wrote:
The corazzo is actually cheaper than the scooter skirt too. I think the corazzo would have much better quality.
I bought my scooterskirt off eBay and it is excellent quality. It's real Gor-tex and the 3M reflective tape is really bright (or so I've been told by people riding with me). Don't let the one-man job website fool you http://www.scooterskirts.com/. It has been amazing as the temps have dipped into the upper 30s. But then again I only paid $13. Now's the time to start looking for summer gear! :D
geneween

Post by geneween »

this is not a inexpensive option. but they do make heated motorcycle clothes. they work off battery packs. do a searh on the net for heated motorcycle gear. this is a better option then putting on layers and layers of clothes and a very good long term investment if you plan on riding in cold weather.

gene
Jake

Post by Jake »

Oh yeah, and the biggest difference I've noticed is by far with windproof gear. The liner from my motorcycle jacket is really thin, but windproof, and throwing it under a sweatshirt makes a huuuuge difference. 3 layers doesn't do a ton of good if the wind cuts through all of them. I can't decide if I want to drop some cash on windproof cycle gloves for like, a month of riding. It gets kind of sketchy when temps dip into the 30s and I can't feel my fingers, though.

I don't think I could do a scooter skirt. It would be nice, but I can't imagine pulling up to school in the morning and taking it off with much sense of dignity. It would be like wearing a utilikilt into a hardware store or something. (http://www.utilikilts.com/)
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

army surplus store for you gear every thing to keep you warm and ready for action
Ketty

Post by Ketty »

Hehe, such dedicated riders.

My hubby and I ride our scooter here in Utah from March until January. I've found that the biggest problem for me is cold legs (thighs mostly) despite thermals and a long coat. I finally sucked it up and got a leg blanket and it solved all cold problems. Other than that, we use winter gloves with a thermal glove underneath, layers of tops including a wind shield coat and long socks under boots. Now that I've typed it all out, I'm thinking it is easier to move to Southern California.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Eazy wrote:I'm really torn on ordering this stuff from corazzo.

I want it, bad, but I'm cheap.
I am not cheap, but thrify and sensible with money. I am not sure if I am embarrassed or proud to admit, that I have never spent more on one item of clothing in my life (including my wedding dress :oops: -hey I got married in a hot air balloon), than a corazzo jacket. Do I regret it? sometimes-the world has pretty serious problems to be spending $200 on a jacket-plus cat hair sticks to it to the point I look like a crazy person, but over all I am very happy with it.

I have the Max and with a golf windbreaker underneath my torso has never been cold, and I ride into the low 30's. What made me decide to pull the trigger was the amount of time I end up riding. It gets a lot of use so I tell myself since i am not taking the car it will one day pay for it self.
I know this is stupid scooter spending justification math....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

peabody99 wrote: I have the Max and with a golf windbreaker underneath my torso has never been cold, and I ride into the low 30's. What made me decide to pull the trigger was the amount of time I end up riding. It gets a lot of use so I tell myself since i am not taking the car it will one day pay for it self.
I know this is stupid scooter spending justification math....
Hey, peabody. The logic works for me!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

This is what I wear (when it's really cold). I have ridden into the teens. Really the only thing that stops me is ice on the roads.
  • FF helmet
    Fog city insert (amazing at keeping shield fog-free)
    Wind/waterproof heavy jacket (Corazzo hoody for me)
    Scarf (to cover neck from jacket to helmet)
    layers including a nice vest to keep the core warm
    snow pants (i like the zip off kind for easy entry/removal)
    nice, heavy, winter boots
    thick winter socks
    heated gloves (plug into battery or phone charger) — a wondrous thing!
    windshield (tall)
For me, scooter skirts are only good down to about 40. Otherwise they let too much air circulate around you.

Covering your nose with cloth just doesn't compare to a FF helmet when freezing air is blasting your face at 60mph

I'm about to take a rattle can of rustoleum high-heat paint to some of the metal parts to protect from the salt.

I actually arrive at work warmer than I used to when I took my car... with waiting for the heater to work and then the walk from the parking lot to the building. Burrrrr... It's such a nice feeling to be out in the elements and yet protected from them!!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Tocsik wrote:Barbosol shaving cream on the inside of your visor will help with the fogging. It's a lot cheaper than specific anti-fog chemicals and smells good!
Is it only Barbosol brand....or will any shaving cream work?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Try what you got, it can't hurt.
Also dishwashing detergent does the trick. I swore by Dawn, by but other people used other brands just as well.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I'm looking to get some quilted chaps.
http://www.jaminleather.net/prodinfo.asp?number=C7122Q
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

EP_scoot wrote:Try what you got, it can't hurt.
Also dishwashing detergent does the trick. I swore by Dawn, by but other people used other brands just as well.
Actually, I've not had much luck with this. I've done TONS of brands, but I still fog eventualy. I'll probably just give in and buy an anti-fogging shield for my helmet.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Seriously, a fog city insert is a thing of beauty. I've had zero fog issues since getting it. Next to my heated gloves it is my favorite piece of gear.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Jake wrote:I don't think I could do a scooter skirt. It would be nice, but I can't imagine pulling up to school in the morning and taking it off with much sense of dignity. It would be like wearing a utilikilt into a hardware store or something. (http://www.utilikilts.com/)
A fellow teacher?! I've got an outside door so I park my scooter inside my classroom. I stop, "de-gear" and push it through the door. The kids ignore it now, though one student asked if he could move his seat so he could sit on the scooter.

Back to the post - I'm in Southern California so I'm breaking out my cold weather gear now that the weather is dropping down into the 60's.
Last edited by rondothemidget on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rondothemidget wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't think I could do a scooter skirt. It would be nice, but I can't imagine pulling up to school in the morning and taking it off with much sense of dignity. It would be like wearing a utilikilt into a hardware store or something. (http://www.utilikilts.com/)
A fellow teacher?! I've got an outside door so I park my scooter inside my classroom. I stop, "de-gear" and push it through the door. The kids ignore it now, though one of student asked if he could move his seat so he could sit on the scooter.

Back to the post - I'm in Southern California so I'm breaking out my cold weather gear now that the weather is dropping down into the 60's.
Nobody gives me crap for my scooter skirt. I just refer to it as a scooter apron, and leave it at that. I think you won't get any more crap than you already get for riding a scooter :)