wind screens are they worth it

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chub1965

wind screens are they worth it

Post by chub1965 »

anybody with a buddy,is it worth the money to get a wind screen and if so which one(tall or short)
Last edited by chub1965 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake

Post by Jake »

I think there are a handfull of threads with differing opinions on the matter. Search for 'windscreen' or 'windshield' if you want more.

I think it's worth it. I can ride in just a sweatshirt (and helmet and gloves) when it's 50 degrees and cloudy now that the wind stays off my body. I have the short Cuppinni shield.

On a 50cc, I don't really know. Wind is a lot colder at 60mph than 35mph.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Absolutely yes. Wind is more efficiently channeled, top speed may be increased as well as mpg, not to mention level of comfort increased, summer or winter. Get the tall, its not that tall.
dorian

Post by dorian »

DennisD wrote:... top speed may be increased as well as mpg ...
It would be interesting to see some statistics on this. My experience on other scooters and motorcycles is that windscreens rarely (as in never in my personal experience) improve efficiency. They are little more than air dams in most cases. But the Buddy could be different. After all, it is as close to perfect as two wheeled vehicles get.

(Personally, I abandoned wind screens. The wind is one of the reasons why I ride... I understand why dogs stick their heads out car windows.)
Jake

Post by Jake »

dorian wrote:
DennisD wrote:...(Personally, I abandoned wind screens. The wind is one of the reasons why I ride... I understand why dogs stick their heads out car windows.)
Yeah, I like the wind during the summer, but once it starts dropping below 55-60 degrees, I welcome my screen.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

dorian wrote:
DennisD wrote:... top speed may be increased as well as mpg ...
It would be interesting to see some statistics on this. My experience on other scooters and motorcycles is that windscreens rarely (as in never in my personal experience) improve efficiency. They are little more than air dams in most cases. But the Buddy could be different. After all, it is as close to perfect as two wheeled vehicles get.

(Personally, I abandoned wind screens. The wind is one of the reasons why I ride... I understand why dogs stick their heads out car windows.)
I haven't tried the Buddy windshield. I have the short screen on my Vespa. Bear in mind, Piaggio is an airplane company with a wind tunnel. After installing the short screen, I hit the rev limiter for the first time. I did a run in the opposite direction just to confirm that it was not a tailwind boosting my speed. That was my unscientific verification that it worked. It also looks nothing like the Buddy shield. It is wider and lower, plus the bottom edge goes below the headset.

The Buddy shields appear to be a more generic fit adapted to the scoot. Even if it doesn't improve efficiency, it will knock down some of the cold.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Anyone know what windshield would fit on a Roughhouse? I asked over in the appropriate forum, but got no response.

Would this one work?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windshield_ ... 11C291.cfm
Drumwoulf

Re: wind screens are they worth it

Post by Drumwoulf »

chub1965 wrote:anybody with a buddy,is it worth the money to get a wind screen and if so which one(tall or short)
A windscreen is worth it if you want to screen some wind offa your body. Otherwise probably not. :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
rickko

Post by rickko »

A lot depends on how you expect to use your Buddy and whether or not you have a helmet with a face shield.

I'd get use to riding without a windscreen first. If you feel you're being beaten by the wind then the screen will help. If you're going to ride in the rain, it'll help then too. If you don't spend more than 10-20 minutes at a time riding then you'll probably be fine without one.

On the other hand, if you're like me and want it for looks alone, then go for it!

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Jake wrote:
dorian wrote:
DennisD wrote:...(Personally, I abandoned wind screens. The wind is one of the reasons why I ride... I understand why dogs stick their heads out car windows.)
Yeah, I like the wind during the summer, but once it starts dropping below 55-60 degrees, I welcome my screen.
me too. When I had one a few years ago, I really think there was some improvement in MPG. I had the tall, but I do not think that is sold anymore. Waiting for cuppini now.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

If it improves mpg or top end, I want one. I think the short one look cool.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I have one and I don't enjoy riding without it. It is so much nicer to not have wind pounding on your chest while riding--hot or cold. I HIGHLY recommend one!

I have the small Genuine windshield and it keeps the wind off my torso just fine.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
rondothemidget

Windscreen

Post by rondothemidget »

Haven't ridden with a windscreen on a Buddy but thought it was fantastic on an old Honda Gold Wing.
I'm hoping y'all can answer some of my questions. Is the screen far enough forward where you can duck below the screen when you want to set Buddy speed records? Do you get pushed around more during short gusts? Does the bracket keep the screen fairly secured?
Thanks!
Jake

Re: Windscreen

Post by Jake »

rondothemidget wrote:Is the screen far enough forward where you can duck below the screen when you want to set Buddy speed records?

Yes.
rondothemidget wrote:Do you get pushed around more during short gusts?
Not that I notice.
rondothemidget wrote:Does the bracket keep the screen fairly secured?
Yes.
rondothemidget wrote:Thanks!
Welcome.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

chloefpuff wrote:If it improves mpg or top end, I want one. I think the short one look cool.
Not a big increase for either MPG or MPH on the 50. I keep track of my MPG with every fill up. Don't have the log inside with me but I don't remember any big numbers after installing my windscreen. Maybe 1-3 MPG but that could also be break-in. Top speed increased a whopping 3/4MPH.

I do like the ride better with the windscreen.
standup

Post by standup »

I put a cheap "universal" windscreen on my 50 last night -- it was supposed to rain today, so I drove the car.

I may have to shell out for a high-quality windscreen, this one's super-thin and kinda flaps around. It's also not evenly curved. I'll adjust the mounts and bolts a little more, but it looks like a big $25 waste... Get what you pay for, and all.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I gained about 5MPH in the top end when I put mine on. I wasn't paying too much attention to MPG at that time, so I'm not sure if it had any effect on gas milage.

Its definately more comfortable to ride at high speeds, or on chilly mornings, as there is much less wind buffeting you.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

standup wrote:I put a cheap "universal" windscreen on my 50 last night -- it was supposed to rain today, so I drove the car.

I may have to shell out for a high-quality windscreen, this one's super-thin and kinda flaps around. It's also not evenly curved. I'll adjust the mounts and bolts a little more, but it looks like a big $25 waste... Get what you pay for, and all.

Even with my Cuppini, I notice that if I screw down the bolts in the wrong spot, it warps the windshield. I find I have to loosen all the bolts, then get everything where I want it, including non warped windshield, then slowly tighten everything... PITA, but worth it when done.

And I love the windshield. Much less air buffeting. Never had a Sail effect or being blown sideways, even in very windy crosswinds...
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

I called Scooterworks about finding a wind screen that will fit the Roughhouse, and they said that the following products works fine:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... _P4920.cfm

So it looks like most screens using mirror mounts should work fine.
LarryG

windhields

Post by LarryG »

If I lived in Hawai'i I probably wouldn't have a windshield. Alas, I'm here in Washington and yes it can get pretty wet.

I also ride year round, and the windshield makes a world of difference when it's below 50 degrees.

The People 150 takes a Puig.

Larry
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

yes, medium

i'm tempted to get the tall to replace my medium sized one the only thing that has kept me from it is in my opinion the tall one looks goofy on the buddy. when it gets cold we'll see if i'm still worried about looking goofy.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I called Scooterworks about finding a wind screen that will fit the Roughhouse, and they said that the following products works fine:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... _P4920.cfm

So it looks like most screens using mirror mounts should work fine.
Both my sister and I had this windshield and we both suffered a broken bracket (the connector) that we couldn't get replaced. I've heard others have had this problem as well with that particular windshield. No idea why but you may want to consider another option.

Mind you, I loved the shield itself but I don't know why the brackets kept breaking on it!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Yea any screen will block most of the wind and help with rain.But the shape of the screen is important if you want to also boost mpg & mph.For example, I was looking at the Prima screen online.It appears this screen after mounting is straight up & down,just like a wall.If possible,you want a screen with curvature,so the wind will sweep right up and over.I had a PUIG touring screen on my last scooter.It immedietely boosted mph & mpg,since it had curvature to it.I did find a PUIG screen that may fit the Buddy.Kymco USA sells them, so you would need to visit a Kymco dealer to get one.The screen with the cut out for the headlight of course.The other PUIG touring screen is the one I had.I bet it will fit the Blur,as these 2 screens fit a bunch of different scooters.Lastly if you have a screen that is not at all aerodynamic and is like a wall,the wind is going to be much harder on the screens hardware.Good luck.

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
LarryG

wind screen

Post by LarryG »

Speaking of curvature. I had this great idea to put Rainex on my Puig wind screen. Well, it worked great. The rain quickly wrapped around and over the sides of the screen, and I got soaked.

Larry
BuddyLicious

Re: wind screen

Post by BuddyLicious »

LarryG wrote:Speaking of curvature. I had this great idea to put Rainex on my Puig wind screen. Well, it worked great. The rain quickly wrapped around and over the sides of the screen, and I got soaked.

Larry

I'm sorry Larry,but after picturing your misfortune with the RainX,I just couldn't stop busting up. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You made my day.Again sorry at your expense.
Aerosmith, None Other.
standup

Post by standup »

My hilarious $25 universal windscreen BENDS when I'm near 40 bph. It's comical. I do think I can ease one or two bmph higher top speed out of the scooter now, though. And only my hands are cold on this week's upper-40-degree mornings, so the mesh gloves are going away as soon as a heavier pair gets here. I guess I recommend a windscreen don't know about MPG yet.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I've got the short Cuppini:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 37C291.cfm

Used it all last winter and I'm about to go put it back on right now, since the morning temps are dipping into the 40's around here.

I like the feeling of the wind without the windshield, but once it starts getting cold it's nice to deflect some of that windchill off of you.

I also thought I noticed a slight bump in high end speed with the windshield, but that varies so much due to other conditions and I haven't done any scientific testing.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

lobsterman wrote:I've got the short Cuppini:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 37C291.cfm

Used it all last winter and I'm about to go put it back on right now, since the morning temps are dipping into the 40's around here.

I like the feeling of the wind without the windshield, but once it starts getting cold it's nice to deflect some of that windchill off of you.

I also thought I noticed a slight bump in high end speed with the windshield, but that varies so much due to other conditions and I haven't done any scientific testing.
I wish I could get one of those, but they are out of stock :( Does metro scooter sell those? I need to go in for a service.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Kaje wrote:I wish I could get one of those, but they are out of stock :( Does metro scooter sell those? I need to go in for a service.
I got mine from Metro Scooter last winter, I expect they stock them. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask, or better yet stop in there and browse. It's one of the few places I don't mind going and browsing without the "seek, acquire, leave" imperative kicking in.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

lobsterman wrote:I got mine from Metro Scooter last winter, I expect they stock them. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask, or better yet stop in there and browse. It's one of the few places I don't mind going and browsing without the "seek, acquire, leave" imperative kicking in.
Oh cool, I'll have to give them a call then. I would go there more often if it wasn't so far away. :(
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I got the tall shield but will cut it down per instructions on another thread here.
I think it's MUCH more comfortable riding now. One of my helmet is one of those half or bowl shape ones that doesn't cover your ears and the wind just roars even at 30-35mph. W/the shield...no noise.
MUCh more comfy w/out that wind battering your chest. It increase the riding enjoyment more than I anticipated.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

lobsterman wrote:Used it all last winter and I'm about to go put it back on right now, since the morning temps are dipping into the 40's around here.
Man that's cold! I thought it was cold when it hit the 60's at night here in Southern California. Burrrrr!!!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

60 degrees....cold.....That's funny!! I lived in Orange Cty for 2yrs back in the 80's. Yeah it was nice in January to have mild temps but the smog and traffic, Blah!!!
Move back to MN....Boy was it great to get back to the United States again!!!