Mornings Are Getting Colder - Where's The Harley Guys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Mornings Are Getting Colder - Where's The Harley Guys

Post by pcbikedude »

I think I posted the same thing last year, but now that the mornings are dipping into the low 40's here, the Harley (and Beemer) guys are not here in the parking garage at work. Where have they gone?? Is there a convention in town? Have they gone on a long ride on a short pier?

NOOOOO! IT'S TOO COLD FOR THOSE WIMPS!!!!! They are coming to work in their soccer mom SUVs. And they laugh at us. :wtf:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

some are still riding in New Hampshire saw a bunch on my way to work
louie

Re: Mornings Are Getting Colder - Where's The Harley Guys

Post by louie »

pcbikedude wrote:I think I posted the same thing last year, but now that the mornings are dipping into the low 40's here, the Harley (and Beemer) guys are not here in the parking garage at work. Where have they gone?? Is there a convention in town? Have they gone on a long ride on a short pier?

NOOOOO! IT'S TOO COLD FOR THOSE WIMPS!!!!! They are coming to work in their soccer mom SUVs. And they laugh at us. :wtf:
um no, i was riding on my new bmw with my mate on his harley :wink:
don't be dissin please. i love my scoot but i'm falling in love with my mc.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

J'n'n, there ain't no way they can lump you or D in with those pansy HD's and BMW's for many reasons.

To all- she's as tough as nails and more dangerous than a sleeping leopard.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
louie

Post by louie »

oh that's the sweetist thing anybody's said about me in a while, lisalisa. you're not so delicate yourself.
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

Funny you say that...

I have had the exact same experience here in Florida with any chance of rain. If there is 0%-10% chance of rain then there will be 6-8 motorcycles in the parking lot and me with my scooter. If there is a %40 or better there will be 0-1 motorcycles and me in the parking lot. I always laugh at these "fair weather drivers". LOL
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I used to think of it in simple terms ie "What Wussies!"

but I kind of wonder if there are other factors in play-

Maybe it is harder to shift when it is really cold as hands become stiff

Heavy bikes may be harder to handle on wet pavement

It would be really uncomfortable riding w/o gear when the temps drop. Rather than put on a helmet, gloves and jacket some may just chose not to ride.

for those that ride or have owned big bikes and now have a Buddy, what are your thoughts?

PS San Diego cold? OMG. babies.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

peabody99 wrote:I used to think of it in simple terms ie "What Wussies!"

I'm still riding, and I have to shift... WITH MY FROZEN HAND!!!

Seriously though.

It was sub 30 the other day when I rode home.

Tomorrow forecast looks the same and I'll most likely be on the Stella.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

peabody99 wrote:
Word.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

suckers! i used to see many crotch rockets on the road the same time/day everyday, but not so much in the mornings anymore, gotta admit, it kinda does get chilly
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

How about this for a non-wussy reason:

When you ride, it probably takes 50-60% more time than driving. You have to budget the extra time for gearing up, packing, bungee-ing, warming up the bike, and then traffic.

It's getting colder and darker, and some of us are maybe (ahem) sleeping past the first - third snooze buttons. You might just say scrooit and eat your breakfast while driving- not so doable on the mc unless you are riding a goldwing (which has a croissant warmer, capucchino machine and fold down snack table).
louie

Post by louie »

LisaLisa wrote:... more dangerous than a sleeping leopard.
haha, i just read this to D and he responded, "did you show her your new gloves?"
they have faux leopard around the cuff.
we do like the idea of breaking every mold we want to play with. d's had that old bike since before meeting him 11 years ago and never road with others until he bought his scoot.
my saleswoman, eileen, a scooter chic, told me 3x's you're not the typical bmw customer.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I went to work at noon yesterday, it was 83 degrees and beautiful. I didn't look at the forecast. When I headed for for home at midnight, it was 47 degrees. I haven't even put the liner in my jacket, much less done anything else for warmth. That was one chilly ride home :wtf:

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

louie wrote:haha, i just read this to D and he responded, "did you show her your new gloves?"
they have faux leopard around the cuff
ooooooh, Neen!
cortech lnx
This jacket is on super sale!!!!! bike bandit 116 bucks!!!!
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

It was 28 degrees when I headed off to work this morning. Thank heavens for good ski gloves!
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

angieyou3 wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
Word.
Yep, 15 miles inland it is hotter in the summer and colder morning in the winter.

Yeah, I know cold here is Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirt time back East and in the frozen North.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
louie

Post by louie »

[quote="LisaLisa

cortech lnx
Image[/quote]

i have neither the balls nor the waist the pull that off. plus i wouldn't want to give my secret identity away.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

pcbikedude wrote:
angieyou3 wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
Word.
Yep, 15 miles inland it is hotter in the summer and colder morning in the winter.

Yeah, I know cold here is Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirt time back East and in the frozen North.
What people who haven't lived in SoCal don't realize is that even though the coastal areas tend to be relatively comfortable year long, the valleys and the more inland areas have drastic temperature swings during late fall, winter, and early spring. The high desert areas can go from the mid-60s to as low as 20s. However, it's still not as bad as you folks elsewhere, who have to contend with it morning, noon, and night. :wink:
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I've noticed around here its not just the Harley guys that've quit riding, its nearly everyone. We've had mornings averaging in the mid 30's to low 40's lately, and the two wheeled traffic has all but dried up, Motorcycles and scooters alike. I have noticed I get a lot more waves now. I think its other hardcore riders showing some respect for another cold weather rider :)
PTB

Post by PTB »

Me = Minnesota. Still Riding. More lonely.
Italias have more fun.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

peabody99 wrote:I used to think of it in simple terms ie "What Wussies!"

Heavy bikes may be harder to handle on wet pavement

It would be really uncomfortable riding w/o gear when the temps drop. Rather than put on a helmet, gloves and jacket some may just chose not to ride.

for those that ride or have owned big bikes and now have a Buddy, what are your thoughts?

None of that means squat if you really love to ride.

For the group that polishes and stands around, a little bit of rain means hours of polishing all over again. Its having the bike that matters to many, not riding.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

DennisD wrote:None of that means squat if you really love to ride.

For the group that polishes and stands around, a little bit of rain means hours of polishing all over again. Its having the bike that matters to many, not riding.
I really enjoy riding. Yet, several sunnyish weekends this year I didn't ride. Wasn't in the right mental state, didn't have a destination or route that interested me, or just wanted to walk around to see life on two feet.

Unless the Harley riders or crotch rocketeers give me 'tude face to face, they're fellow riders like me. They have their own reasons for doing it. I commute and do weekend rides. They prefer sunny days and maybe a bit of posing with their bike instead of suffering--and having dealt with torrential rain and freezing temps, it is suffering--on an exposed two-wheel vehicle in adverse conditions.

'Course, if they tell me to "get a real bike", I will mention I ride almost every day and did 8000km (so far) this year.
chromebroom

when it's cold where are the Harleys

Post by chromebroom »

peabody99 wrote:
I used to think of it in simple terms ie "What Wussies!"
:lol: I ride my Road King and yes I get cold, however with all the leather, chaps, etc I feel like a snow person all bundled up for longer rides. With Remo I feel lighter and not as much fan fair. My jeans, long johns and I'm off. Long rides still use my RK for shorter trips Remo is always ready and much better on mpg. I think the two make a perfect pair and a must for any rider.
Enjoy the Journey and Ride Safe
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I can't help but wonder how many of the older (not teenage) MC riders back off during the cold days because of old injuries/joints/damage. My back is much stiffer on cold mornings (or did I just do that much the day before?)...worth a thought.

I know some of the Harley riders in my area cut back on their riding during the cold months simply because of the lack of daylight. Car drivers are less alert to 2-wheeled traffic when it's dark still for some reason.
louie

Post by louie »

true enough cheshire, i think you have something there.
i only started riding at 47 years old and when it's below 45 outside i take my car. i don't know what i would have done at 20 or 30 or 40 yrs but i do know i used to go swimming when it was 60 outside, not even close to that now.
i never would have thought it so back then.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

It was 37 yesterday morning, but a balmy 45 this morning.

Funny what the OP experience is with the HD/BMW bikers. I actually have stopped seeing the scooters I usually cross paths with (3 of them), but I still see the Harley guys out there.

Me, I am thinking I will need to take the Carhartt overalls out of the closet sooner than I had hoped.

Cheers !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

EP_scoot wrote:It was 37 yesterday morning, but a balmy 45 this morning.

Funny what the OP experience is with the HD/BMW bikers. I actually have stopped seeing the scooters I usually cross paths with (3 of them), but I still see the Harley guys out there.

Me, I am thinking I will need to take the Carhartt overalls out of the closet sooner than I had hoped.

Cheers !
Yeah, I've been wearing military BDU's over my clothes to try to stay warm in the mornings. As I write this, the weather channel says its 26 out, and only 20 minutes till my ride to work!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Cheshire wrote:I can't help but wonder how many of the older (not teenage) MC riders back off during the cold days because of old injuries/joints/damage. My back is much stiffer on cold mornings (or did I just do that much the day before?)...worth a thought.

I know some of the Harley riders in my area cut back on their riding during the cold months simply because of the lack of daylight. Car drivers are less alert to 2-wheeled traffic when it's dark still for some reason.
I take more meds in winter for the arthritis, and the blown discs don't seem to be a problem any more. I keep wondering how long that will last. I love the cold rides, find them invigorating and makes a good cup of hot chocolate that much better.
It could be that I don't live in one of those huge metro areas where everyone is going crazy on freeways trying to get to work and my schedule is out of sync with the nine to fivers. I now go in at 5:30 and leave at 2 or 3. When I worked rotating shifts my least fav time to commute was Saturday on 11-7. The rides home early in the a.m. were great, but that Saturday night commute could be scary. I even quit commuting by bicycle on Saturday nights, but always used lots and lots of reflective material and lights everywhere.
rajron

Post by rajron »

No spring chicken here:
Fair weather rider – which makes me like a Harley rider – My car is so comfy in these times, listening to XM radio.
An, the scoots will soon be on the Battery Tender.
PTB

Post by PTB »

Choppers work great on cold mornings:

Choppers:

Chopper:
Italias have more fun.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

PTB, are those gloves good? Do they keep the wind out? I need a good pair of gloves. That's the only thing keeping me from riding when it gets really really cold (20s and below).
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

LisaLisa wrote:How about this for a non-wussy reason:

When you ride, it probably takes 50-60% more time than driving. You have to budget the extra time for gearing up, packing, bungee-ing, warming up the bike, and then traffic.
No way!! When you ride a non-freeway legal scooter, maybe, absolutely even.
But a very highway friendly MC?!?
It would take about 5 minutes to gear up, bungee, warmup the bike.... So unless you live 10 minutes from work..... ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

pugbuddy wrote:PTB, are those gloves good? Do they keep the wind out? I need a good pair of gloves. That's the only thing keeping me from riding when it gets really really cold (20s and below).
PugBuddy may I recommend combining a good pair of winter riding gloves with the Hand Covers I got black and combining them with my gloves has kept my hands nice and warm. The Covers keep the wind off and the gloves keep the hands warm.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

7eregrine wrote:
LisaLisa wrote:How about this for a non-wussy reason:

No way!! When you ride a non-freeway legal scooter, maybe, absolutely even.
But a very highway friendly MC?!?
It would take about 5 minutes to gear up, bungee, warmup the bike.... So unless you live 10 minutes from work..... ;)
Well, I take the same route with my car and my scoot- and it really does add a good 20 minutes onto my commute- the packing and all that. I think I go faster on the scoot :oops:

After all, you really do have to load the bike differently than your car (especially a MC with no storage), you have to use different luggage, maybe different clothes (some people have to change into suit suits), and you can't eat breakfast on the run. And if you are harried, you might be too stressed to ride.

But the kicker is: Your harley might not want to start in the cold... :wink:
I have the reverse problem!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

You shouldn't eat breakfast in your car either. :mrgreen:
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
PTB

Post by PTB »

pugbuddy wrote:PTB, are those gloves good? Do they keep the wind out? I need a good pair of gloves. That's the only thing keeping me from riding when it gets really really cold (20s and below).
I like old, tried-and-true designs. I don't get very passionate about a lot of things, but choppers are absolutely the best winter gear ever. Deerskin stays soft even if it gets wet. The wool liners are excellent insulators. Mittens are obviously warmer than gloves, and so on.

I've had my choppers (a generic brand from the hardware store) for about 5 years and they're still awesome.

On my scooter, they block wind, insulate, and you don't get sweaty hands.
Italias have more fun.
skotot

Post by skotot »

The scooter/motorcycle parking spaces at my college are becoming more and more available over the last couple of weeks. And the frat boys who ride around with their left hand in their pocket in attempt to look tough are suddenly nowhere to be found... I'm driving until there's ice on the road.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

LisaLisa wrote:
louie wrote:haha, i just read this to D and he responded, "did you show her your new gloves?"
they have faux leopard around the cuff
ooooooh, Neen!
cortech lnx
Bike Bandit Rocks! Amazing prices but act soon as specials expire or increase in price. I just bought a Fieldsheer Track Paddock 2 jacket for 66 bucks! It's already back up to $88 which is still a great price!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

today was a bit nippy. I was out and about quite a bit for work and passed only one other 2 wheeler, an old honda. He full arm waved me. I quess when the numbers start to drop it is nice to see kindred souls out there.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

peabody99 wrote:today was a bit nippy. I was out and about quite a bit for work and passed only one other 2 wheeler, an old honda. He full arm waved me. I quess when the numbers start to drop it is nice to see kindred souls out there.
Yeah, today only hit about 83 degrees. There are definitely fewer riders out now that it's so cold. :)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I like old, tried-and-true designs. I don't get very passionate about a lot of things, but choppers are absolutely the best winter gear ever. Deerskin stays soft even if it gets wet. The wool liners are excellent insulators. Mittens are obviously warmer than gloves, and so on.
How well do they block freezing wind? That's the problem I have in the winter--the temperature gets down in the teens and my fingers freeze in a serious, possible-frostbite sort of way. :shock:
PugBuddy may I recommend combining a good pair of winter riding gloves with the Hand Covers I got black and combining them with my gloves has kept my hands nice and warm. The Covers keep the wind off and the gloves keep the hands warm.
So the covers are really good at keeping the wind off? I didn't care too much for the look of them but that's an option. Are they easy to put on and take off the Buddy? I'd need to take them off and store them under the seat at work so I need to know!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

or you could get some XL latex gloves to put over them. No wind.