calif buddy recall

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

5 bud7

calif buddy recall

Post by 5 bud7 »

posted last friday about the calif. buddy recall to fix the gas tank to carbon cylinder problem (wrongly called vapor lock problem ). I am suprised at the lack of attention to this post. Calif. is doing this repair correctly and everyone should inquire about having it done if they havent notified you. The other states are overriding the smog system and allowing vapors to go to atmosphere . I am sure all 09 buddies have the correct system installed.
pcbikedude

Re: calif buddy recall

Post by pcbikedude »

5 bud7 wrote:posted last friday about the calif. buddy recall to fix the gas tank to carbon cylinder problem (wrongly called vapor lock problem ). I am suprised at the lack of attention to this post. Calif. is doing this repair correctly and everyone should inquire about having it done if they havent notified you. The other states are overriding the smog system and allowing vapors to go to atmosphere . I am sure all 09 buddies have the correct system installed.
Where is this information? CARB? Got a link?
Last edited by pcbikedude on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
esk

Post by esk »

there was some discussion about it <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6714&start=50#96112">here...</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I just checked the Consumer Product Safety Commission site and found nothing about this. I'll see if I can find out anything tomorrow.

Is this an official product recall or did your dealer just contact you and offer the fix Genuine provided to all CA dealers?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

The person who called definitely stated there was a recall on my genuine buddy scooter. I went the next day and had it done. I saw the piece of hose , about 8-10 inches with a round black unit on the end, that they installed. He showed me a handfull of papers and said he had to call each one for this repair. The dealer is kawasaki of santa barbara, phone 805-964-4685.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I spoke with someone at Genuine: There is no product recall.

The dealer was probably just being proactive about doing the replacements.

People need to be cautious about using words like "recall." It's a very specific term that implies certain legal obligations. It's also the kind of thing that gets people worked up.

The gas tank issue would be an unlikely cause of a recall. Product recalls are usually only done in instances where there is a safety issue. This is usually true even for voluntary recalls.

BTW, the correct site for searching for vehicle recalls is at the NHTSA, not the CPSC that I linked to above:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... search.cfm

Genuine was listed as "GSC" in the search when I looked up a 2005 recall for some Stella headlight lenses.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

There is no way a dealer would begin to make mechanical changes unless he was told to by genuine scooter company. If the dealer wasnt directed to do this he wouldnt take it upon himself to do without knowing he will be compensated. With all theposts on your website you know genuine had to do something to protect its reputation. Your forum is receiving more and more and more negative posts about this problem and you should be glad they are doing something about a problem that started at the beginning of the year.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This is old news. Genuine dealers in california have received kits to remove or raise the vapor recover tube in the gas tank for weeks now.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

5 bud7 wrote:There is no way a dealer would begin to make mechanical changes unless he was told to by genuine scooter company. If the dealer wasnt directed to do this he wouldnt take it upon himself to do without knowing he will be compensated. With all theposts on your website you know genuine had to do something to protect its reputation. Your forum is receiving more and more and more negative posts about this problem and you should be glad they are doing something about a problem that started at the beginning of the year.
Yes, Genuine sent kits to all the dealers in California to modify the gas tanks. That's a good thing. That's also something that's been reported here, in threads you posted to, months ago.

Genuine providing a fix to a dealer is in no way the same as a product recall. You're using alarmist and inaccurate language, just as you did in a previous thread when you were making all sorts of claims about fines, penalties and liabilities which did not actually occur or exist. Once again, before you go using words like "recall," which carry very specific legal obligations, try to be sure of what you're talking about.

This is a dead issue. There is no recall, therefore no reason to keep this thread open.