dead signals & switch to switched running lights, w/ pro

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SirLexelot

dead signals & switch to switched running lights, w/ pro

Post by SirLexelot »

Hey all,

so I was looking thru the instructions here for turning the dead turn signals into constant running lights because this is the main mod that I wanted to do to my bike. As a quick note, I've also swapped out the headlight for the halogen that I bought from Motorsport Scooters. I succeeded in not only getting the running lights to turn on, but also be controlled by the dead light switch on the right handle bar. Here's how I did it:

- First I spliced the two stock turn signals together. Then I ran one set of wires from there up into the headstock.

- Then I found the bracket where the wiring for the dead switch comes in. I simply jammed the ends of my fresh wires into the back of the bracket in the correct ports (followed the wiring diagram in the manual) and taped them down with electrical tape. This worked great, except for one thing...

Whenever the running lights are on, the headlight and the instrument panel light both dim significantly. Here's a YouTube video that demonstrates it, although not super-well. Watch the headlight dim as I switch the running lights on and off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu8rKy2mzz8

Anyone have ideas on what can be done to get the running lights to keep from dimming the headlight while turned on? I tried tapping them directly into the headlight as the previously posted instructions show, but this also dimmed the headlight.

I know the bike has enough power, because the bulbs I added are just 1156 clear blubs, which are pretty much the exact same as what I'm using for the front and rear turn signals. And when I have just the headlight on and I signal a turn, nothing dims. My point is that when using the turn signals, two 1156 bulbs are illuminated without dimming the headlight. So why do these running lights dim the headlight?

Any hints would be most appreciated!!
rajron

Post by rajron »

I had no idea it did that – I’m not hooked up to the dead switch, I just wired directly to the running lights so they are always on – Its not the switch is it?, I mean are my lights dimmer that they should be? I have a halogen bulb for the headlight as well – if no one knows looks like I’m going to have to experiment a little with my connections to see if I have a dimmer headlight because of the running lights
Joel Belsky

Headlight Switch

Post by Joel Belsky »

Concerning the dead headlight switch: Remove the upper plastic handlebar panel and you you see an extra harness hooked up to the now dead headlight switch on the right handlebar. Remove this harness (about 6.5 inches long with both ends white plastic) and replug the two ends together without this extra harness, and presto, the dead headlight switch now works! It's that easy. The extra harness has 5 wires, color coded as follows: gray, black, yellow,dark green, green/white. It is that simple. Don't cut nothing!
Joel Belsky

Headlight Switch Additional Information

Post by Joel Belsky »

If you disconnect the harness that cancels out the use of the headlight switch, you should NEVER ride your bike without headlights on! It is too dangerous! However, the brake light will still work regardless whether or not the headlights are on or off. The USDOT regulations state that motorcycle headlights must be displayed while on the street.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I suspect your panel lights are dimming when the running lights are on because you have them connected to the headlight switch. This happens in most cars, too. For example, watch the clock in your car (presuming you have one) and turn your headlights on and off. Mine dims when the lights are on. The designers assume that when the headlights are on, it is dark outside, and so you actually will need less light on the instruments in the panel to be able to see them.

It does not happen for most of us because the headlight switch has been disabled and the lights are on all the time. But sounds like when the scooter was designed, they rigged the switch to dim the panel lights when the headlights are turned on.

Edited to add: Sorry couldn't watch the video at first, and didn't realize your headlight itself was dimming. Could the switch be effecting the high beam/low beam on your headlight? I had been planning to do this this weekend as well, but didn't get to it. If I have time this week, I'll let you know how mine turns out and if I see anything else that might be going on... but my electrical skills are pretty limited. Let us know if you figure it out!
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

Initially I was planning on simply having the running lights be on all the time by tapping them into the headlight as per previous users' instructions. However, when I touched the wires to those connectors, the headlight dimmed (on either high beam OR low beam). That's when I started investigating connecting them to the dead light switch. Of course that didn't resolve the dimming issue, but at least it gave me a choice.

Here's another question: would it be a completely terrible idea to try to wire the running lights & switch directly to the battery? This would be pretty easy to do. Should they have some sort of voltage regulator in the way?

As you can tell, I'm not too sharp when it comes to electrical work...
Joel Belsky

Running Lights

Post by Joel Belsky »

I don't think the little generator (stator) can handle a whole bunch. However, for running lights let me tell you what I did. I went to Pep Boys, or any decent auto parts store, and bought a little aftermarket light which consists of a 3 led amber light strip, and put it on the front cowl, or cover of the bike under the headlamp. Then I wired it into the small electrical harness that goes to the ignition switch which is covered by a clear plastic cover. I forget what wire, but if you have an electical tester with a built-in lamp all you do is probe around with the key off, and turn the key on till you find what wire it is that will give you 12 volts when the ignition key is on. The reason I don't have the information on what color it is is because I have to remove my basket and unbolt everything and I don't have the time right now. If I get a chance I will let you know what color wire it is. This way, when this wire is hot, when the engine is running, it powers this little 3 led light strip that costs about 10 bucks. Make sure you buy an amber one for the front, and a red one for the rear. Plenty of running lights front and rear then.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Has anyone else done this mod?
rablack

Re: dead signals & switch to switched running lights, w/

Post by rablack »

SirLexelot wrote:Hey all,

so I was looking thru the instructions here for turning the dead turn signals into constant running lights because this is the main mod that I wanted to do to my bike. As a quick note, I've also swapped out the headlight for the halogen that I bought from Motorsport Scooters. I succeeded in not only getting the running lights to turn on, but also be controlled by the dead light switch on the right handle bar. Here's how I did it:

- First I spliced the two stock turn signals together. Then I ran one set of wires from there up into the headstock.

- Then I found the bracket where the wiring for the dead switch comes in. I simply jammed the ends of my fresh wires into the back of the bracket in the correct ports (followed the wiring diagram in the manual) and taped them down with electrical tape. This worked great, except for one thing...

Whenever the running lights are on, the headlight and the instrument panel light both dim significantly.

Sir Lex.

I'm interested in doing this mod only I want to add one or two small auxillary driving light(s) mounted on a bracket held by the center screw on the cowl and controlled by the dead switch. These are the lights I'm considering: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 53/c-10614

Two questions:

First - you said, "Then I found the bracket where the wiring for the dead switch comes in. I simply jammed the ends of my fresh wires into the back of the bracket in the correct ports (followed the wiring diagram in the manual) and taped them down with electrical tape." I'm not particularly fluent in wiring diagrams. (I presume the wiring diagram is for the original system and doesn't reflect the US mod which disables the switch). Can you tell me which color wires are the "correct ports?"

Second - Did you ever resolve the dimming issue? If this mod dims the lights it sorta defeats the purpose.

I'm also concerned that the extra lights might be too much for the system. Anyone have any insight into this?
merlin

Post by merlin »

did yoyu wire the lights in series or parrell. if oyu wired them in series, then that could be your problem.

just a thought
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

merlin wrote:did yoyu wire the lights in series or parrell. if oyu wired them in series, then that could be your problem.

just a thought
I think you may have hit on it.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."