squeeking brakes! help!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

r0sa

squeeking brakes! help!

Post by r0sa »

i've noticed that whenever i brake, my brakes squeek, i think its mostly coming from the rear brakes, is there anyway to fix this? its been happening for a couple of weeks now and thought i'd just leave them alone since my scooter is still kinda new, only has 1,900 miles on it...
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

My rear brake squeaks sometimes too, but usually only on the first couple of stops. I think it's pretty common with drum brakes and most likely nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure what you'd do to stop it but there's probably a way (sorry!).
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

My rear drum has a faint squeak right around when I'm almost stopped. Seems to be a normal thing with these types of brakes, wouldnt worry about it :)
docutech

Post by docutech »

Mine squeaks too :(
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

alrightie then, squeeking brakes are normal 8)
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

r0sa wrote:alrightie then, squeeking brakes are normal 8)
Nope. But I guess they are on Buddys
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Actually i've heard plenty of people come into the shop asking about their squeaking brakes, most often not for a Genuine Scooter.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Mine does this as well. Mainly in the morning after the dew has settled and everything is a little damp.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

eldoroddo wrote:
Dude does the complaining ever end? Squeaking is very common in drum brakes. Not just the Buddy.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Even cars with drum brakes will squeak the first few stops, once they heat up a bit they dont make any abnormal sounds. Reason why you dont hear it from the front is because the brake is a disc brake, Disc brakes dont usually squeak.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i didnt think it was common until everybody put their input in, now i know its nothing to complain about :wink:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

r0sa wrote:i didnt think it was common until everybody put their input in, now i know its nothing to complain about :wink:
I didn't mean you r0sa! :wink:
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i thought so! or else...

jk :lol:
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

jmazza wrote:
eldoroddo wrote:
Dude does the complaining ever end? Squeaking is very common in drum brakes. Not just the Buddy.
I'm not complaining, sorry YOU feel that way. Constant squeeking is NOT common on drum brakes, if they're adjusted properly.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

eldoroddo wrote:
jmazza wrote:
eldoroddo wrote: Nope. But I guess they are on Buddys
I'm not complaining, sorry YOU feel that way. Constant squeeking is NOT common on drum brakes, if they're adjusted properly.
jmazza was joking to r0sa saying she was complaining, not you. If you read, you'll find even she noticed it was a joke. Also, saying drum brakes adjusted properly wont squeak is a bit of a stretch, seeing as many scooters that use drum brakes from all companies, they all squeak sometimes, yet they are properly adjusted. Companies aren't going to give us death trap brakes that aren't working right off the factory line.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:
eldoroddo wrote:
jmazza wrote: Dude does the complaining ever end? Squeaking is very common in drum brakes. Not just the Buddy.
jmazza was joking to r0sa saying she was complaining, not you. If you read, you'll find even she noticed it was a joke. Also, saying drum brakes adjusted properly wont squeak is a bit of a stretch, seeing as many scooters that use drum brakes from all companies, they all squeak sometimes, yet they are properly adjusted. Companies aren't going to give us death trap brakes that aren't working right off the factory line.
No frosty, I was talking to eldorado.

The frequency of posts that simply complain about Buddy issues, even ones of such little consequence like this one, gets old. I told r0sa I wasn't talking to her! She'd kick my ass.
:P
rablack

Post by rablack »

On the other hand, my front disc started making a bit of a racket and when I took it in the pads were 99% gone at 1800 miles. (and no, I don't ride the brakes).
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You can buy prima replacement brakes from scooterworks, front for the disc, and back for the drums.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Tires_and_H ... s_C292.cfm
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

Again, I'm not complaining. I'm stating a fact...your brakes are not supposed to squeak. If they are, they require attention.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'm guessing all scooter owners are in grave danger then.
rickko

Post by rickko »

jfrost2 wrote:I'm guessing all scooter owners are in grave danger then.
If the noise is permanently injurious to your ears, then I'd say YES! But I didn't read where anyone said the squeak is a sign of danger. Or are you implying because they may need 'adjustment' they must be bordering on being dangerous?

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Drums brakes sometimes squeek because the pads have "glazed" over from being dragged too much, overusage or just plain trying to constantly overcome a heavy load (no offense to anyone, really!). I've fixed squeeky brakes by lightly sanding the brake pads and drum with some sandpaper then wiping both down with brake cleaner. But that being said, if your brakes seem to be working fine, but just squeeks a little, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just don't get too complacent with it and make sure to take measures ensuring your pads are in good shape and not worn out.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

babblefish wrote:Drums brakes sometimes squeek because the pads have "glazed" over from being dragged too much, overusage or just plain trying to constantly overcome a heavy load (no offense to anyone, really!). I've fixed squeeky brakes by lightly sanding the brake pads and drum with some sandpaper then wiping both down with brake cleaner. But that being said, if your brakes seem to be working fine, but just squeeks a little, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just don't get too complacent with it and make sure to take measures ensuring your pads are in good shape and not worn out.
Good advise, babblefish.
You can also create a tiny bevel with sandpaper or a file on the sides of the shoes.
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

would it be to much for a tutorial about changing or even sanding your brakes?

just asking