Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Lostmycage wrote:I need some solid glove reviews, suggestions. I started off with Redline Leather Gauntlets, which were horrible in every way. I now have Corazzo Winter Gauntlets, which although better, don't do it for my fingertips. This is turning out to be a very expensive experiment. I'm looking for some solidly made gloves with wind and waterproofing and minimal pillowing.

Suggestions please?

I know I'm going to get lambasted for this, but for really cold days, I use a pair of Scott ski gloves that are waterproof, windproof, have adjustable wrist cinches and are very warm. They have palm pads that will probably only protect against snow or soft sand, but hey, I like to live dangerously.

ALSO: Babblefish, mind sharing your ski-pants source? That's an incredible deal, from the sounds of it. My homemade lap blanket does really well, but I like having options, hehe.

I bought them at a local sports emporium called "Sports Authority". They're made by Slalom and are of a fabric type material rather than smooth, slick nylon so they grip the seat. The scooter seat. Not my seat.

And Apiarist, do those gloves keep the bees out as well? (What brand/model are you trying?)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
armacham

Post by armacham »

looking online sports authority is having a decent sale on a bunch of ski pants with free shipping! http://www.sportsauthority.com/family/i ... E&view=all
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Additional info on the pants I bought - they ride high, so your torso is well protected against the elements. Also, the side pockets don't allow access to your inner pants pockets, but the side zippers unzip from either the top or the bottom and are easy enough to get to that you can partially unzip one side from the top to get to your inner pockets. The waist has elastic with additional adjustment via velcro'd straps...for those that may expand it bit from time to time. :shock:

And in case anyone prefers them, Sports Authority also has bib overalls on sale for the same price, but they don't have the side zippers.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

lostmycage: And Apiarist, do those gloves keep the bees out as well? (What brand/model are you trying?)
they do keep the bees out, but i let them in anyway so they can get warm too.

i'll get back to you on the brand since they and a couple renegade bees are down in the pet carrier. they aren't so very well tested for warmth yet as i have been caging it lately with this nasty cold i am nursing although i tried the redlines first and i know from my limited experience these are way better.
i picked them up at scoot richmond the day before the rally, when they got the latest shipment of gloves in. they are black, bulky but not too bulky, are contoured like a riding glove with the curve shape for the hand built in, they have a drawstring and a velcro closing at the end. they are made with thinsulate too. i don't think they are the corrazzo gauntlets. once i get the brand i'll pm you.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Thanks for the info and for finding that link. Those look like some really good deals.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

OK, an update on those waterproof ski pants I just bought...they aren't. :(
Rode to work today in the rain and by the time I got to work, my crotch area looked like I had one (maybe two) beers too many and didn't make it to the restroom in time. I have to tell ya, walking around with a wet crotch is not my idea of a good time. I think the water may have gotten in through the front zipper which is not well protected with a closable flap.

Oh, and those supposedly waterproof Scott gloves? They're not. :(
Welp, back to the drawing board! :roll:
generalstrike

Post by generalstrike »

Rode home from work last night at 1am, it was 27 degrees in Providence. What I wore: Under Armor cold gear top and bottom, 2nd cotton thermal layer, work uniform, sweatshirt, Corazzo 5.0 jacket, balaclava, Olympia Women's Gore-Tex Cold Weather Gloves, full face helmet. In the future I will add my summer gloves under the Olympias (they have been just fine for me down to about 32, at 27 I got a bit cold), and a second balaclava. I can also add my work extreme cold weather bib overalls for even colder riding.

BTW, my scooter had a thin layer of frost on it I had to wipe off, and it didn't seem too happy to be running in such cold temps.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

generalstrike wrote:Rode home from work last night at 1am, it was 27 degrees in Providence. What I wore: Under Armor cold gear top and bottom, 2nd cotton thermal layer, work uniform, sweatshirt, Corazzo 5.0 jacket, balaclava, Olympia Women's Gore-Tex Cold Weather Gloves, full face helmet. In the future I will add my summer gloves under the Olympias (they have been just fine for me down to about 32, at 27 I got a bit cold), and a second balaclava. I can also add my work extreme cold weather bib overalls for even colder riding.

BTW, my scooter had a thin layer of frost on it I had to wipe off, and it didn't seem too happy to be running in such cold temps.
Its possible if you were doing any real speed that your carb was icing. Due to the way a carb sucks in air, it can super-cool it enough to actually slush the gas as it enters the motor. Which will cause stuttering, and in some really cold cases complete stalling.
HarryGoldfarb

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Kaos wrote:
Its possible if you were doing any real speed that your carb was icing. Due to the way a carb sucks in air, it can super-cool it enough to actually slush the gas as it enters the motor. Which will cause stuttering, and in some really cold cases complete stalling.
My scooter has been stalling when its close to freezing or colder out. I've tried both letting the engine warm up and riding it straight away and, either way, once the engine does warm up, the idling RPMs drop and it stalls. Is carb icing my problem? Is there a way to adjust a low idle?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Kaos wrote:
My scooter has been stalling when its close to freezing or colder out. I've tried both letting the engine warm up and riding it straight away and, either way, once the engine does warm up, the idling RPMs drop and it stalls. Is carb icing my problem? Is there a way to adjust a low idle?
You can adjust the low idle, there's an idle adjustment screw on the carb. But honestly, if you ARE icing, that will likely make it worse :) There are additives you can add to your gas that is basically "anti-freeze' for your gas.
Many parts stores carry them.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I also factor in how fast I plan on going. I mean, a 40 mph ride is a lot different than a 60 mph when the temps drop below 40 F

Just my 2 degrees of separation.
chicagoscooterclub

Post by chicagoscooterclub »

Brushed the snow off my seat this morning and road to the Loop for a meeting and back. Fingers only thing that got cold..man i need better gloves.

it's 34 in Chicago at the moment.

Cold Weather Challenge biatches!!! :twisted:
http://www.chicagoscooterclub.com/2008/ ... -survived/
Chicago Scooter Club
Scooter is our middle name
www.chicagoscooterclub.com
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Yeah, it's gotten cold. I'm seeing no two-wheelers save for crazy bicycle people (you know who you are). I came home a different way tonight and I passed a grizzled old guy with no helmet (but wearing a fleece cap) on a sweet vintage bike. I was so shocked I gave myself away with a big girly grin. At least I followed-up with a good head nod. Nod returned. Who else is out riding in New England at this point? Oh yeah, crazy people.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

siobhan wrote:Yeah, it's gotten cold. I'm seeing no two-wheelers save for crazy bicycle people (you know who you are). I came home a different way tonight and I passed a grizzled old guy with no helmet (but wearing a fleece cap) on a sweet vintage bike. I was so shocked I gave myself away with a big girly grin. At least I followed-up with a good head nod. Nod returned. Who else is out riding in New England at this point? Oh yeah, crazy people.
New hampshire riding im still on the road havent seen much else on two wheels its been a topic with people and me hey when ya going to put it away i say "not happening" gas is cheap now you can drive your car" cant i forgot how" I just have a lot of fun riding
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

30 and "Feels like 20" according to weather.com

30 minute ride and my fingers burn. Time to plug in the gloves! I love heated gloves. Love. Love. Love. :bat:
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

26F this morning with wind chill down to mid teens - I dont know what impact 30-50mph on a scooter has on wind chill but it was pretty nippy riding in this morning! yesterday was the first day I put the fleece lined bike tights back on under my pants for the ride home, today will be the second. I broke out the TourMaster PolarTex Gloves today - they're as warm as my winter leather gloves with the fleece liners. any colder and I'll double up the fleece liners with the PolarTex and should be good down to 20f - my limit of pain for the past 3 seasons.

still beats standing in the cold waiting for a bus :)
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

25f this morning. My gear: windscreen (HUGE difference), Tourmaster Intake jacket (all three layers with a light fleece jacket underneath), jeans with batman tights underneath (those stretchy things runners wear), a turtle fur neck warmer, my nasty old boots, and Cortech (Tourmaster) Scarab winter gloves.

Toasty except for my fingertips. And I believe this is why. The Scarab gloves have been fantastic, at least through the 30's. This morning, however, I wore a pair of fleece liners under the Scarabs and my fingertips got really cold. I think my mistake was that the liners took up all of the insulating air space in the Scarabs. I have a thin pair of polyprophlene running gloves I will try tomorrow.

BTW - yes, I was very self-conscious when I started wearing the Intake jacket - its armor is very conspicuous and its styling, well, crotch-rocket. But now that the days are short and my moderate to heavy traffic commute is in the grey dawn / dusk (or darkness), I'm extra glad to have its protection. Anyway, I carry a messenger bag which covers the most obnoxious part of the jacket - the very reptilian-looking foam padding which runs up the spine like some bad costume from a science fiction movie.

BBTW, I readjusted my low idle when it was 35f and all has been good - no stuttering, burping, stalling, or hesitation. We'll see how things go when it hits the teens (tonight?).
Clearly.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

loodieboy wrote:a turtle fur neck warmer
Turtles have fur? ;)

If you're all interested in what the temperature is at different speeds,
<a href="http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml">Here's a handy motorcycle wind chill calculator</a>
squash1978

Post by squash1978 »

The temperature on the news this morning as I was leaving the house was 20 degrees :shock:

The only part of me that got really cold were my fingertips. I recently got a pair of Tourmaster Polar-Tex gloves, which are awesome. But I may need to spring for some liners for added protection.
bunny

Post by bunny »

And here I was so proud of myself for just this week pulling out the Shoei full face and the leather jacket...still using the mesh gloves, will have to find something warmer.

Otherwise, it's still hot inside the full face. I've been riding with the visor up to breathe.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Turtle fur (sorry for the lousy pic). Its harvested from their belly buttons.
Attachments
photo[1].jpg
photo[1].jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Clearly.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

loodieboy wrote: I think my mistake was that the liners took up all of the insulating air space in the Scarabs.
Yeah, anytime I try to wear liners under gloves my hands get colder rather than warmer. Leaving space in the layering is one of those counter-intuitive things.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I ride all year unless there is ice or snow on the road. The only thing to freeze is my hands--and they seem to do so no matter what gloves I wear! I think the hand warmers from Scooterworks may be the next step. The big problem is not the cold, it's the wind! I've tried all sorts of things to keep the wind off my hands but nothing works well.

Otherwise, I ride with a FFH, fleece neck warmer, L.L. Bean parka and flannel-lined jeans, and boots. It keeps me warm! I need to see if my armored jacket will fit over my parka.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
iMoses

gloves and stuff

Post by iMoses »

I have 2 pair of gloves. Mechanix for normal (warm) driving and some ski type. I also have leather glove covers that slide over my gloves. I decide which I am wearing depending on how cold it is.

I just bought a pair of bib ski pants. Man those are great for keeping the wind off of my legs.

As for my jacket my Carazzo jacket is impervious to the weather. I have been in the cold and rain and still managed to keep my upper half dry and toasty. For hot weather I have a mesh jacket.

Full face helmet, balaclava and a day-glo orange vest rounds out my scoot wear.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

pugbuddy wrote:The only thing to freeze is my hands--and they seem to do so no matter what gloves I wear!
Heaven, I'm tellin' ya: http://www.gerbing.com/Products/gloves.html
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

sunshinen wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:The only thing to freeze is my hands--and they seem to do so no matter what gloves I wear!
Heaven, I'm tellin' ya: http://www.gerbing.com/Products/gloves.html
My hands are cold NOW sitting inside in the office. I'm a Land Surveyor, my hands are ALWAYS cold!! I gotta get me something like those!
Jake

Post by Jake »

Wind is seriously the worst. Pugbuddy, I'm guessing you've tried it, but Gore-Tex is pretty much the sh*t when it comes to keeping you warm. I used to try so many different things for snowboarding, and this past season I just used some Gore-Tex-containing mittens with a nice soft lining. I was in CO snowboarding, and my hands would actually start to sweat. But the Gore-Tex lets the moisture out, so you're covered there too.

Might be different with 40-60mph wind constantly on them, but hey, you can try.

If you're looking for something on the spendy side... http://www.backcountry.com/store/HES001 ... -Mitt.html
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yep, tried the Gore-tex gloves. Unfortunately, the wind cuts through them, even the "windproof" ones.

Man, those heated gloves are nice but $139.00? I cannot afford that!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Rob

Post by Rob »

pugbuddy wrote:
Yep, tried the Gore-tex gloves. Unfortunately, the wind cuts through them, even the "windproof" ones.

Man, those heated gloves are nice but $139.00? I cannot afford that!
You might want to try glove liners. You can wear them as a base layer under Gore-tex, or any other glove. I've used this layered combo on very cold, windy days and never failed to keep my hands warm.

You can find these at most outdoor type stores and in different fabrics from Polartec to silk. I typically go to www.cabelas.com for my outdoor gear, if you want to check them out online.

Rob
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

It was 23 degrees this morning, and yea may hands got really cold, can't wait till my hand grip gators come in from scooterworks, nothing like a little dead air around your hands when operating the throttle and break levers.
jmo of course...
"Social graces, got any"
Alex P

20's-30's

Post by Alex P »

It was in the thirties here in Richmond over the last week. I bought a full face AGV modular helmet a week or two ago, a set of Alpinestar waterproof winter gloves, and a set of insulated coveralls (farm supply store Southern States, $50). I've had a good winter jacket for a few years. It's fleece lined and water proof (I grew up in NY, so jackets are something I'll splurge on, I can't help myself), and I wear a light fleece under when it's really cold. The jacket and fleece both zip up high enough to fit under the lip of the helmet, and that's worked really well. My girlfriend said she thought she saw a temperature in the 20's on the news, but I couldn't tell. Lots of people at work think I'm out of my mind for riding year round, but so far, I'll be out there unless it's snowing. Right now, the Roughouse is all I've got and it's definitely enough, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 150 cc Buddy, just to be able to go longer distances to go camping and what not in the warmer weather. I'm warming to the retro scooters and I love my Roughouse, so I'm thinking I'm sticking with Genuine, but I need more power and the Rattler just doesn't sound like it's going to get up to speed.
SCTSCT

Post by SCTSCT »

it has definitely been in the 20's around here.
i just love checking weather.com in the mornings and seeing 31, feels likes 28, or worse.
my job requires business attire, so i came up w/ this solution, and it works quite well......

walls

my coworkers laugh at me routinely, but it is very roomy and toasty. if i need a little extra kick, i can put on a fleece jacket underneath. add in the AGV open helmet and face mask and i look fresh off an aircraft carrier.
:P
Alex P

Post by Alex P »

Those coveralls look awesome. I might just pick a pair of those up since they'd do away with the need for a jacket. Thanks for the link!
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

I'm thinking about a pair of these. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... tid=208150
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

KABarash wrote: My hands are cold NOW sitting inside in the office. I'm a Land Surveyor, my hands are ALWAYS cold!!
I know, I have some cheapo cotton gloves in my office that I chopped the fingertips off so I can wear them and still type.
Alex P wrote:Lots of people at work think I'm out of my mind for riding year round, but so far, I'll be out there unless it's snowing.
+1
And in the snow I just might be on my bicycle. :shock:

It seems my riding has been the talk of the office lately. People keep stopping in and saying "we were just talking about you and your scooter..." and continue in some fashion with undertones that say "we decided you are insane." 8)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

sunshinen wrote:
KABarash wrote: My hands are cold NOW sitting inside in the office. I'm a Land Surveyor, my hands are ALWAYS cold!!
I know, I have some cheapo cotton gloves in my office that I chopped the fingertips off so I can wear them and still type.
Alex P wrote:Lots of people at work think I'm out of my mind for riding year round, but so far, I'll be out there unless it's snowing.
+1
And in the snow I just might be on my bicycle. :shock:

It seems my riding has been the talk of the office lately. People keep stopping in and saying "we were just talking about you and your scooter..." and continue in some fashion with undertones that say "we decided you are insane." 8)
My office has a running bet with an actual cash pot to guess when I'll stop riding for the season. They got their hopes up when I *DID* drive one of my cars(Well, actually a 1937 Ford Pickup) but I was picking up some parts in Beaverton, so I told them that it didn't count. :)

They were quite disappointed to see that even though it was 28 degrees when I left home this morning, I was still on the scooter. Though I am going to head over to Corazzo H.Q. this afternoon and get me an underhoody.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I got new gloves! They were Joe rocket gloves, not sure what model, Size Medium, very warm in the cold. I had seen other gloves similar at the store, but they were all much more expensive and not as "warm feeling", plus the price tag of 40 dollars! Cheapest pair, and does the job.
EBee

Post by EBee »

I am testing out some snowboarding gloves I just got...they have a sewn in curve to fingers and a textured palm which is a plus, so far they are keeping me toasty. I haven't tried them in super-extremes yet (below 45) but I'll keep ya posted.
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I tested my gloves when it was only 35 degrees outside and windy, kept me warm. I could feel cold, but that's just cause I'm outside and the entire environment is cold, after the ride, my fingers felt the same as when I was at home.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yeah, I need to come up with something else. Now that its consitantly in the low 30's to high 20's in the mornings, my Firstgear gloves(even with gloveliners) arn't keeping my fingers warm enough.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

EBee wrote:I haven't tried them in super-extremes yet (below 45) but I'll keep ya posted.
40s is still pretty cozy, it might qualify as minorly extreme, but not super-extreme.

I don't think a temperature can count as truly extreme till you're officially in freezing territory. :P

We might need to develop an official scale.
Jake

Post by Jake »

The coldest I've been out in on the Buddy was 34F, no windshield, wearing jeans, a sweatshirt with a windbreaker over it, and my Icon perf'd leather gloves. That was chilly.
EBee

Post by EBee »

Ok, since we're getting into trash-talking territory, how long did you ride like that before you fell off? :P
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

loodieboy wrote:Turtle fur (sorry for the lousy pic). Its harvested from their belly buttons.
Humanely harvested? There is a difference.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I rode in this morning, weather service said it was 28 degrees. My window thermometer at home said 34, but it gets a little warmth from the house and reads a few degrees warmer than real outside temp this time of year.

I wore my Turtle Fur and all the other stuff, I was actually thinking it was a pretty enjoyable ride in this morning.

I did check when I bought my Turtle Fur, and was told "no turtles were harmed in the making of this product". I'm all about protecting the turtles. I like turtles.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Kaos wrote:Yeah, I need to come up with something else. Now that its consitantly in the low 30's to high 20's in the mornings, my Firstgear gloves(even with gloveliners) arn't keeping my fingers warm enough.
I'm having this problem, too. Combine that with the fact that I have small hands (wearing size S or XS), and all the insulation interferes with my grip. I think my uncomfort stems more from wind chill than actual temperature, but what to do? Should I use rubber gloves as additional glove liners or purchase some of those hand covers?
ModBud #442
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

polianarchy wrote:
Kaos wrote:Yeah, I need to come up with something else. Now that its consitantly in the low 30's to high 20's in the mornings, my Firstgear gloves(even with gloveliners) arn't keeping my fingers warm enough.
I'm having this problem, too. Combine that with the fact that I have small hands (wearing size S or XS), and all the insulation interferes with my grip. I think my uncomfort stems more from wind chill than actual temperature, but what to do? Should I use rubber gloves as additional glove liners or purchase some of those hand covers?
Yeah, I've been toying with getting the handcovers, since its very much wind chill in my case. Something in me rebels at spending $20 on 2ft of vinyl though....
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

while in NYC last weekend in 25-degree weather, i saw a lot of the delivery scooter riders with plastic bags wrapped around the handlebars - like 3-4 bags per side, i think. i specifically remember seeing a Zuma with it. hmmmm???
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Hey, my friend Ryan runs a Cold Weather Challenge every year, this year, i'm hosting it on my site:

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4434

The contest started yesterday (Tgiving) and ends the last day of February. More info on prizes, etc, soon. Come on, someone outside Minnesota needs to win for once.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

illnoise wrote:Hey, my friend Ryan runs a Cold Weather Challenge every year, this year, i'm hosting it on my site:

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4434

The contest started yesterday (Tgiving) and ends the last day of February. More info on prizes, etc, soon. Come on, someone outside Minnesota needs to win for once.

Bb.
Hey thats an awesome idea. I'm totally in. Too bad my 29 degree day was last week, and it's warmed up since then :)