You know what is really annoying...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

You know what is really annoying...

Post by babblefish »

...sitting at a stop light that never changes for you. I sat at one particular one through at least 4 changes, but none of them gave me the green light. I got fed-up and just ran the red. I have to use that particular intersection everyday so I hope the authorities never put a camera there...

...and also, the stock Maxxis tires on the Blur suck in the rain...
Time to get a set of Michelins! :D

...why are there 10 hot dogs in a package, but only 8 buns to a package? :?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Why do I have off two days before I get paid?

Why does the phone ring when I'm busy?
Roose Hurro

Re: You know what is really annoying...

Post by Roose Hurro »

babblefish wrote:...sitting at a stop light that never changes for you. I sat at one particular one through at least 4 changes, but none of them gave me the green light. I got fed-up and just ran the red. I have to use that particular intersection everyday so I hope the authorities never put a camera there...

So you have to buy four packages of hot dogs and five packages of buns to get even numbers...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

babblefish wrote: ...why are there 10 hot dogs in a package, but only 8 buns to a package? :?

Because you are buying the wrong hot dogs.

I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
chicagoscooterclub

Post by chicagoscooterclub »

babblefish wrote:...sitting at a stop light that never changes for you. I sat at one particular one through at least 4 changes, but none of them gave me the green light. I got fed-up and just ran the red. I have to use that particular intersection everyday so I hope the authorities never put a camera there...

Check out what this guy did, if your town uses these types of light management systems it could save you a lot of waiting.
http://www.chicagoscooterclub.com/2008/ ... ating-for/
Last edited by chicagoscooterclub on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Scooter Club
Scooter is our middle name
www.chicagoscooterclub.com
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

babblefish wrote:.

So when you have little kids they eat the dog bunless
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

what gets really annoying is when homeless people come up to you at a red light and never wanna shut their trap and keeps blabbing about random stuff. im so afraid their gonna beat me up and steal my scooter :(
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I know what you mean, around town, even with motorcycle platforms made, they still dont detect me sometimes. I can sir there through 5 stop light changes, and my side never changes.

Really annoying when I need to make a left hand turn, sometimes I just make a right and go a longer distance just so I dont have to idle there and waste gas.
chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

I guess due to the nice weather, and prevalence of cycles in Florida, they must set the sensors very light. I've never had a problem getting lights to trigger.
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

Have you tried putting your kickstand or centerstand down? It works for me every time.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

chancerbeans13 wrote:I guess due to the nice weather, and prevalence of cycles in Florida, they must set the sensors very light. I've never had a problem getting lights to trigger.
I've never had a problem either. I'm not sure if we have superior sensors or if they are just on timers.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Why do we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

I actually have one light near work that won't change for me. I just turn right, go 100 feet or so down that road, then whip out a u-turn and go the way I need to go. (Initially I ran the light a few times, but I was afraid that sooner or later I'd get caught.)

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:I know what you mean, around town, even with motorcycle platforms made, they still dont detect me sometimes. I can sir there through 5 stop light changes, and my side never changes.

Really annoying when I need to make a left hand turn, sometimes I just make a right and go a longer distance just so I dont have to idle there and waste gas.
I do this nearly every day. Theres an intersection that I seem nearly unable to trigger the light since they repaved it a month ago. Its got cameras in it AND its right infront of the cop-shop. I've been running it almost every day for a month with no issues(so far!) I even did it with a cop next to me, though luckily he had his window down so I could explain to him why I was running it.
broke

Post by broke »

I never make left-hand turns.

Right-hand turns are free and I'm trying to be thrifty. :D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

When it fits in the waist, it doesn't fit in the bust. When it fits in the bust, it doesn't fit in the shoulders. When it fits in the shoulders, it doesn't fit in the hips. :cry:
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What's annoying: The smoke alarm with the low battery never chirps during the day, it waits until the middle of the night, when you're just about to fall asleep. Then, when you start wandering the house trying to figure out which alarm is acting up, it never chirps while you're standing right under it. This kept me up for a couple hours the other night.
myras_girls wrote:
Have you tried putting your kickstand or centerstand down? It works for me every time.
Works for me at almost every light, except on a recently-resurfaced street near my house. They coated the existing pavement with a new surface. Bah.
babblefish wrote:...why are there 10 hot dogs in a package, but only 8 buns to a package? :?
Buns & dogs: the explanation
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:What's annoying: The smoke alarm with the low battery never chirps during the day, it waits until the middle of the night, when you're just about to fall asleep. Then, when you start wandering the house trying to figure out which alarm is acting up, it never chirps while you're standing right under it. This kept me up for a couple hours the other night.
LOL!!! That is sooooo true. I think in my whole life, only once did one start chirping during daylight hours. So much for mathematical odds. There is obviously a higher power manipulating things. I'm sure they get one hell of a laugh watching us stumble about in the dark cursing.
Kodos

Post by Kodos »

I get really annoyed when I'm waiting at a stop light and a scooter rider (I hesitate to call them "scooterists," *ahem*) rides past me in the bicycle lane in order to sneak ahead or skip the light.

You are on a scooter, you are NOT on a bicycle. So stop it! :x
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

myras_girls wrote:
Tried this tonight...didn't work for me. :( There were no cars around, so the lights just ignored me. I know they ignored me because everytime I looked at one of them, it would turn away. Gotta cut back on the Prozac...
I'm going to try the magnet thing as pointed out by chicagoscooterclub. If that doesn't work, I'm going to get a flux capacitor, or something...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Orange Guy wrote:
babblefish wrote: ...why are there 10 hot dogs in a package, but only 8 buns to a package? :?

Ahh, Nathan's! I've heard about those, but they don't sell them in these neck of the woods. :(
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

broke wrote:I never make left-hand turns.

Right-hand turns are free and I'm trying to be thrifty. :D
Wow, they charge you for making left-hand turns in Oregon? How would they know? :? I guess with no sales tax, the state has to make money somehow. If I had to only make right-hand turns, I'd probably keep ending up where I started from...
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

babblefish wrote:
Orange Guy wrote:

Ahh, Nathan's! I've heard about those, but they don't sell them in these neck of the woods. :(
Mmmmmm...Nathans. 8)
All of our Walmarts sell these. Have you checked there?
Honestly, if it's not a Nathan's Famous I won't eat a hotdog.
Not really good for you but wow - those spices are perfect! :D
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Orange Guy wrote: Image
Ahhhh.............. No trip home is worth it without a side trip to Coney Island to Nathans by the boardwalk......
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Dayton daily news, our city's newspaper here in Englewood, they did a hot dog test. Seems to be everyone in a blind test liked cheapo Krogers brand hot dogs instead of the name brand stuff.
broke

Post by broke »

babblefish wrote:Wow, they charge you for making left-hand turns in Oregon? How would they know? :?
We all diligently keep notes about our left turns and then submit the total to the state every April. (Last year I cheated though and only reported 9/10'ths of my turns! :twisted: )
babblefish wrote: I guess with no sales tax, the state has to make money somehow.
In addition to the tax on left-turns, they also tax gasoline pretty hefty so that Washingtonians that drive down to buy "duty-free" have to pay extra for their fill-up before getting back home.

Every time that my mom visits me (from out of state) she loves going shopping without paying sales tax. Once, when she was paying at the register at Macy's, I told the clerk "be sure to charge her sales tax because she doesn't live in Oregon". The clerk smirked but I thought my mom was going to KILL me... she did NOT think that was funny at all!
bunny

Post by bunny »

I roll slightly ahead to get in front of the camera pointed at my lane. Actually, I say slightly but I actually pull ahead of the wide white stripe and try to aim myself at the camera so it'll trigger the light. It seems to be working.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

SpectrumBill

Post by SpectrumBill »

The ChicagoScooterClub video is right on the money. The magnet I bought is a 1" x 1" x 1/2" nickel plated super magnet (so it won't rust) and is just stuck to the plate on the botttom of my buddy. These are so powerful that no tape is needed. I have used it for several months and am pleased with the result.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Perkussion wrote:Mmmmmm...Nathans. 8)
All of our Walmarts sell these. Have you checked there?
Honestly, if it's not a Nathan's Famous I won't eat a hotdog.
Not really good for you but wow - those spices are perfect! :D
Repeat after me - "Walmarts is evil, Walmarts is evil, don't shop Walmarts". :evil:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

SpectrumBill wrote:The ChicagoScooterClub video is right on the money. The magnet I bought is a 1" x 1" x 1/2" nickel plated super magnet (so it won't rust) and is just stuck to the plate on the botttom of my buddy. These are so powerful that no tape is needed. I have used it for several months and am pleased with the result.
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to try it. :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

broke wrote:
babblefish wrote:Wow, they charge you for making left-hand turns in Oregon? How would they know? :?
We all diligently keep notes about our left turns and then submit the total to the state every April. (Last year I cheated though and only reported 9/10'ths of my turns! :twisted: )
babblefish wrote: I guess with no sales tax, the state has to make money somehow.
In addition to the tax on left-turns, they also tax gasoline pretty hefty so that Washingtonians that drive down to buy "duty-free" have to pay extra for their fill-up before getting back home.

That reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in Washington. It said "Washingtonians don't tan, they rust!"

Every time that my mom visits me (from out of state) she loves going shopping without paying sales tax. Once, when she was paying at the register at Macy's, I told the clerk "be sure to charge her sales tax because she doesn't live in Oregon". The clerk smirked but I thought my mom was going to KILL me... she did NOT think that was funny at all!
chicagoscooterclub

babblefish wrote:
Orange Guy wrote:

Magnet solution aside.....

If any of you want the best hot dog in the world come to Chicago and be sure to let me know your on the way we will meet up and show you the non tourist fun. One thing to understand Chicago style pizza is hype Chicago style Hot Dog is pure bliss and everything good you may have heard. Vienna Beef baby!!!
Chicago Scooter Club
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

my MSF ridercourse instructor told us that if the light cycles a couple times here in CA you can go through it legally.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

the problem is when the light doesn't cycle at all- you're at a stoplight alone for 6 minutes...
What do you do- put it on the center stand and push the pedestrian cross walk button?
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Sorry, I misspoke. Of course if it cycled it would turn green for you. I think what I meant to say is if it goes through the time frame of a couple of normal light cycles.

Here is a reference of laws in a few states:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... laws_N.htm
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

thehypercube wrote:Sorry, I misspoke. Of course if it cycled it would turn green for you. I think what I meant to say is if it goes through the time frame of a couple of normal light cycles.

Here is a reference of laws in a few states:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... laws_N.htm
Actually, the intersection I get stuck at does cycle through several light changes, but it never gives me the green because it has a left-turn arrow that's green for on-coming traffic so it's red for me. Whenever I come to that intersection now, I just run the red after checking for other traffic. If I get pulled over, my question to the cop would be "what should I do if the light won't change to green for me, sit there until I run out of gas or pass out from starvation?". OK, probably not a good line to use...
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

When I was in my MSF class someone asked this question. The instructor was also a retired motorcycle cop.

He said that every state has its own rule and that some even permit running the red. He also said that most states also have a safe and prudent measure. So in many states you can run that red, but do it safe and prudently. If you fly through at 30 you aren't being safe. If it cycles 2-3 times you could argue to any judge that you were being safe.

I don't advocate the running of any light, please use your best judgement. I'm just passing along info that I got.
chicagoscooterclub

Here's another tech option from one of our favorite sites on the nerdy nets.
http://gizmodo.com/5079430/traffic-loop ... een-lights
Chicago Scooter Club
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Those magnet things are pure snake oil. If it works it is simply that the sensor is detecting metal, not magnetism. Your kickstand will work as well. If that doesn't do it, save your money. Some sensors use photosensors. You can see the thing that looks like a miniature traffic light mounted on the pole. some people have reported that shining your high beam can trigger this type, but I have had no luck.

Traffic engineers claim that if they set the sensitivity too high, cars in the other lane will trigger an unnecessary turn light. If it is a light that you encounter often, do yourself and every other rider a favor. Make a formal written complaint about it to your local authority in charge. Even if they do nothing, you will have written proof to show the judge when you fight your ticket for running the light.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

olhogrider wrote:Those magnet things are pure snake oil. If it works it is simply that the sensor is detecting metal, not magnetism. Your kickstand will work as well. If that doesn't do it, save your money. Some sensors use photosensors. You can see the thing that looks like a miniature traffic light mounted on the pole. some people have reported that shining your high beam can trigger this type, but I have had no luck.

Traffic engineers claim that if they set the sensitivity too high, cars in the other lane will trigger an unnecessary turn light. If it is a light that you encounter often, do yourself and every other rider a favor. Make a formal written complaint about it to your local authority in charge. Even if they do nothing, you will have written proof to show the judge when you fight your ticket for running the light.
Tried the kickstand thing, didn't work. The sensors are the buried wire type because I can see where they are. Others have been successful using a magnet, so that's what I'm going try as soon as I find a rare earth magnet thats big enough.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SpectrumBill wrote:The ChicagoScooterClub video is right on the money. The magnet I bought is a 1" x 1" x 1/2" nickel plated super magnet (so it won't rust) and is just stuck to the plate on the botttom of my buddy. These are so powerful that no tape is needed. I have used it for several months and am pleased with the result.
This is the only first-hand account I've read of someone saying magnets work. I've read several that say they don't, though. And at least a couple have referred to them as useful only as very strong refrigerator magnets.

Which is not to say it's not working for you. It may have something to do with the sensors where you live. I dunno.

Tapping the kickstand does the trick for me almost all of the time.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Kodos wrote:I get really annoyed when I'm waiting at a stop light and a scooter rider (I hesitate to call them "scooterists," *ahem*) rides past me in the bicycle lane in order to sneak ahead or skip the light.

You are on a scooter, you are NOT on a bicycle. So stop it! :x
I do this every chance I get. Not in a bicycle lane, of course. We don't have many of those. You're telling me if there's a car in front of you at a light waiting to turn left, and theres enough room in the lane for you to safely pass and turn right...you don't? I think it's one of the many bene's of riding a scoot!
:wink:
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

ericalm wrote:
This is the only first-hand account I've read of someone saying magnets work. I've read several that say they don't, though. And at least a couple have referred to them as useful only as very strong refrigerator magnets.

Which is not to say it's not working for you. It may have something to do with the sensors where you live. I dunno.

I've noticed my steel bodied Stella seems to get the lights to trip easier then my elite.

I usually just run the light though.

I think it's a law in Idaho that if you're on a motorcycle and sit through 2 cycles of the light and it doesn't change for you you can run it if there is a safe moment to do so.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ericalm wrote:

I'm thinking that the people who had the magnet trick fail to work for them were using the weaker ceramic type magnets or magnets that were too small. I plan on sticking a couple of NdFeB (Neodymium) magnets of at least two square inches each on the underside of my Blur. The suspension linkage looks to be the perfect spot or possibly epoxying it to the bottom of the engine crankcase since it sits lower than the linkage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:
ericalm wrote:

I'm thinking that the people who had the magnet trick fail to work for them were using the weaker ceramic type magnets or magnets that were too small. I plan on sticking a couple of NdFeB (Neodymium) magnets of at least two square inches each on the underside of my Blur. The suspension linkage looks to be the perfect spot or possibly epoxying it to the bottom of the engine crankcase since it sits lower than the linkage.
I know at least a couple used magnets specifically sold for this purpose, those big brick-like things.

Let us know how it works for you.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not sure what kind of magnet they use in those big brick-like things, but for those unfamiliar with neodymium magnets, an N48 grade, 2"x2"x0.5" magnet will pickup a little over 100 pounds without problem. I recently saw a 6" diameter by 2" thick magnet rated for 1175 lbs of lift capability. To put that in perspective, this one magnet can lift 5, 150cc Buddys. :shock: :)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

... ... ...so what happens when your scooter gets stuck to something? If it can lift that much, does it require a crowbar to peel it off, say, railroad tracks, or another car? If you ride past a loose pipe in the road, is it going to follow you home? :wink:

I'm only half-joking...half honestly curious. Sounds like a powerful magnet!! Neodymium, eh? That's gotta cost.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Cheshire wrote:... ... ...so what happens when your scooter gets stuck to something? If it can lift that much, does it require a crowbar to peel it off, say, railroad tracks, or another car? If you ride past a loose pipe in the road, is it going to follow you home? :wink:

I'm only half-joking...half honestly curious. Sounds like a powerful magnet!! Neodymium, eh? That's gotta cost.
If I were to put that 6" magnet on my scoot, I'd be dragging home every bit of scrap metal I happen to ride over like pieces of car parts, tin cans, manhole covers, etc. Either that, or I'll be stuck to someone's car getting dragged to where ever they were going!:) And besides that, that particular magnet costs about $500. The smaller magnet that I'm planning on using is only $20 or so. As a side note, some treasure hunters use magnets like these to pull stuff made of ferrous metal out of lakes. Meteorites are worth a lot of money and since most are composed mostly of iron, some people drag these magnets around the desert hoping to find something.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

olhogrider wrote:Those magnet things are pure snake oil. If it works it is simply that the sensor is detecting metal, not magnetism. Your kickstand will work as well. If that doesn't do it, save your money. Some sensors use photosensors. You can see the thing that looks like a miniature traffic light mounted on the pole. some people have reported that shining your high beam can trigger this type, but I have had no luck.

Sorry, I read this post late and just wanted to give an explanation for why I think the magnet thing should work. The wire coils in the ground are part of an electronic circuit that generates a particular electronic frequency. Whenever a large metal object passes over the coil, it changes the electrical properties of the coil and the frequency will change depending upon the size of said metal object. A magnet passed across a coil will also cause a change, but it doesn't have to be as big because of it's magnetic property. The trick is to find a magnet strong enough, but small enough to be practical to trigger the electronics. :)
sinkisbusted

Post by sinkisbusted »

In TN you are allowed to run the light if it cycles without a green. It was in the motorcycle handbook. I run at least 10 a week.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Cheshire wrote:I'm only half-joking...half honestly curious. Sounds like a powerful magnet!! Neodymium, eh? That's gotta cost.
Gauss Boy,
Gauss Boy,
Everybody needs a Gauss, Boy!
(www.gaussboys.com/magnets/discs)