Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

cadillaczac wrote:
BS=too expensive for skills I already know or may not benefit from

"The road takes no prisoners" is stating (with humor :D ) that hitting sand when accelarating out of a corner is probably something no one could have avoided, as I was unprepaired by not looking ahead for danger.
I guess I'll risk being flamed for breaking the no judgment rules, but, um, how do you know you won't benefit, if you don't know what they teach?

SEEing danger (sand in a curve) is one of the fundamentals that is central to the MSF course.

So, in this case, and only this case, because I don't want to kick people when they're down, I'm going to say yeah, I could have avoided that crash.

I'm getting ready to take the MSF class again, because it has been a few years since the last time and I want to get a refresher.
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I looked but did not see any sand (it was only when slipping while trying to pick the scooter up I realized what was going on), believe me I look as far ahead on the road as posible, especially with the way people drive nowadays.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
apetit

Post by apetit »

here's mine from Monday 9/22 (What a magnificent anniversary present!)

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? 125 red
2. Was the crash due to rider error? No. What time of day did it occur? about 845am. Cager merging into traffic on a right turn did not yield, slow down, hear horn (must upgrade!), see me even though eye contact was made.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? Possibly by upping my paranoia level.
4. Was the rider injured? Yes. All on left side:Fractured clavicle, bruised hip, bruised ribs, bruised ankle, minor knee scrapes
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Minor scrapes according to the police report. Have not seen it yet.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Unknown
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 3mos? license
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? About 30bmph in 35 zone
11. How far was the rider from home? 2 miles

Laid it down on left side, hit only the road, time for a new helmut, jeans held up better than I would have hoped - no rips or tears, just scuffs - , jacket scuffed but undamaged other wise, hiking boots fine. Apparently slid on left side and rolled onto right at end of slide.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Hope you feel better soon!
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

apetit wrote:here's mine from Monday 9/22 (What a magnificent anniversary present!)
Um… happy anniversary?

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you heal up soon and aren't in too much pain—that clavicle injury is a bad one.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Oh, big ouch! :shock: Heal quickly, and here's hoping your scooter wasn't as badly hurt as you. Umm the driver that hit you *did* stop, yes? Not a hit and run I hope, as your bills ought to be paid by the other driver's insurance.

Hugs!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
apetit

Post by apetit »

Fortunately there was no contact between us. Unfortunately there was no contact between us. She just went her merry way without stopping, and I was a bit too preoccupied to get a tag number...

So anyone in the Sunnyvale/San Jose Ca area who might have seen this at Lawrence and Arques, please let me know. This would have been between 8:40 and 9:00 am.

Thanks,
anthony

(pics sometime soon...)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bump :shock:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

ericalm wrote:bump :shock:
Are you surprised no one has crashed for a while?
Lift heavy eat clean!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Becktastic wrote:
ericalm wrote:bump :shock:
Are you surprised no one has crashed for a while?
How about pleased or relieved instead of surprised? I just bumped as a reminder and for new people. :)
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

You used to shocked face :P so it looked like "bump...OMG no one has crashed in a while? FOR REALS?!?"
Lift heavy eat clean!
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Becktastic wrote:You used to shocked face :P so it looked like "bump...OMG no one has crashed in a while? FOR REALS?!?"
Heh, that made me laugh, thanks :)
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
2009 Tangerine 125

2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Completely. 5:20pm

3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Yes. Not tap the breaks before straightening out on a turn.

4. Was the rider injured?
No, not even a bruise

5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
Scraped headlight bezel. Top cover (where the guages are) has a chip. Right (front) break lever is scraped up on the knob. Right passenger foot rest scraped up, black and tangerine panels below that scraped up. Muffler scraped underneath and protector scraped.

6. Cost of repairs, if any?
Unknown. Some can be buffed out. I'll probably sharpie the black parts and get an estimate when I take it in for service. Probably not a lot.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
2weeks. Both.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
Yes. I firmly believe that it minimized the event.

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes

10. How fast was the rider going?
5mph

11. How far was the rider from home?
6miles.

I was going home from work. I was turning right onto a smaller street to avoid rush hour congestion.
As I turned right the driver ahead of me slowed down (the turn is very sharp and even in a cage can be a little nerve wracking) and I realised I was too close. I straightened up about 90%, but tapped my breaks on that last 10%.
The buddy slipped and I tumbled about 360 degrees. I tucked my head and was able to keep my arms in a barrel shape so that my jacket armor could absorb everything. I was able to roll to a stop.
The MSF course definitely helped. They said, "One day you'll fall. And once you start you have 100% chance of completing it. The trick is to not freak out and not make things worse." I remained calm, I tucked and rolled, I did not jam on the breaks further. It was a good end.

edited: Added all damage.
Last edited by rabbitgod on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Glad your fall was minimally harmful to you and your Buddy, rabbitgod. They say "It's not -if- you'll crash, but -when-" so hopefully that little scrape was enough to get yours over with :)

Scoot safe.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Having a really bad week? Had not much sleep? Is it pouring down rain outside? Is your visor for some reason foggier than it normally gets in the rain? Why not take a stress-relieving, not dangerous at all nighttime ride?

Well, it came during the worst possible week, but it was everything less than disastrous, which I am very thankful for.

Rainy night, coming up on an unfamiliar stop light releasing cars from the highway onto the surface street I was riding on, the light turned at exactly the wrong time. The intersection was quite long, so I tried to stop instead of trying to go. Not sure if I started to skid the rear wheel first and then hit the painted arrow, or the other way around.

My instincts were briefly correct - I came off the brakes and gave a little throttle and the bike was straightening up, but then I was heading into the now-definitely-too-late intersection. I hit the brakes again and she - and I - hit the pavement on the left side.

Positive things about this experience:

+ As usual, all my gear. I can feel a spot on my left knee that I *know* would be in serious pain if not for the pants. One on my left elbow a little less, but probably should be included in the gear-thanking ritual to be performed later this evening.

+ I didn't hit my head.

+ I *think* if I can straighten out that headlight she'll still be functional if I have to wait for plastic to be ordered/scavenged.

50 Sunset Orange

Yes, in that I was riding in unfamiliar territory on a rainy dark night.

Limit adventurousness during adverse conditions. Had I prior knowledge, I would have gone through the light instead of trying to stop. And of course, ever so lighter on the brakes.

Pulled whatever is between my thumb and my palm. This happens every time I fall off a bicycle, too...

Headlight bezel and top half of headset plastic cracked. Still needs a good going-over.

TBD

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have?

7 months

Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

Neither

no. But lots of studying of the Hough books!

yes, and only rider.

slowing from 40bmph. By the time the skid started, probably 13-15bmph.

6 miles
Last edited by Quo Vadimus on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Yeah, stopping on wet surfaces is difficult. This is pretty similar to what happened when I went down. I decided to stop, realized it wasn't going to happen, so I tried to turn right. Sliiiiidddd...

I wear knee pads now :P

Good thing you were geared up and your Buddy sounds only cosmetically harmed.
Lift heavy eat clean!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

In drivers ed they called that the "stale green light"
If it's been green it could turn yellow at any minute.

I avoided a crash today-
A bonehead pulled out of a parking lot driveway in front of me. I :D braked then swerved. And laid on the horn. The guy then turned into another driveway (commercial area) and pulled in to park in the lot. Well, I couldn't resist. I pulled into the driveway out of traffic and maintained a respectful distance while I waited him to get out of the car. It was a physician in a lab coat! I called to him, "I would have died." He started to get huffy and I just repeated it calmly, "you would have hit me, and I would have died." He apologized and scurried into the office.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry to hear about the crash, Quo Vadimus. Glad you're okay. Thanks for posting about this.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Thanks for the good wishes. I've been putting off posting to the 'nothing happened' topic for superstitious reasons. So much for my metaphysical handle on the world. =)
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Thanks for the good wishes. I've been putting off posting to the 'nothing happened' topic for superstitious reasons. So much for my metaphysical handle on the world. =)
Haha I had been reading the "nothing happened" thread all day and was plotting to make my post when I got home the day I layed mine down. :(
Lift heavy eat clean!
louie

Post by louie »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Thanks for the good wishes. I've been putting off posting to the 'nothing happened' topic for superstitious reasons. So much for my metaphysical handle on the world. =)
priceless :wink:
sorry about the incedent and hope all heals way as anticipated.

good work lisa, hats off to the cool head.
broke

Post by broke »

LisaLisa wrote:I called to him, "I would have died." He started to get huffy and I just repeated it calmly, "you would have hit me, and I would have died." He apologized and scurried into the office.
Wow! What a great way to handle that! And congrats on your avoidance.
Quo Vadimus wrote:Well, it came during the worst possible week, but it was everything less than disastrous, which I am very thankful for.
Sorry to hear about your fall, but very happy to hear you avoided serious damage!
GDP

crash

Post by GDP »

This is a thread I often read, but hoped to never post too...

I lurk here because I own a Rough House but had just picked up my
new SYM Fiddle II 125. I was literally riding it home from the shop,
on my street, a few hundred yards from my house.
It's a 25mph zone which I always obey. Kind of a cut through
but very residential, children playing etc. Heck I've been the one
to call and get the radar trailer setup. This accident isn't about speed.
An '85 econoline is approaching me. He's probably doing the speed limit and in his lane. I roll off the throttle as he gets closer out of habit.
There is a road that T's in between us on my right, his left. OK, it's basicly an intersection, so I start to feather the brakes even though he has no turn signal on. I've slowed a good bit by now and am staring right at his face hoping to make eye contact
as I like to do to get some sense of his intentions.
All I see is his right ear as his head is, and has been, fully turned for several seconds - I have not seen his face.
We're down to fractions now.
I'm thinking there is a great chance this jerk might turn left as that's
where he's looking: Also a good chance he has not seen me because he has not looked ahead of himself for a few seconds. I'm braking hard now, considering options in the remaining nano-seconds. Swerving left is out because that puts us head on if he doesn't turn (and probably would not have avoided collision, AND been my fault because I would have changed
lanes illegally). I could start to turn right quickly but but that would have
been a sketchy turn having just been braking rather hard, I still would likely be hit, and with the bike leaning, I'd likely have gone under his van
(I did mention this was a big econoline). So I'm still breaking, and hoping
he continues straight, or at least looks foreward before he makes this
careless, unsignaled left into me. Nope. He jerks the wheel in an abrupt,
"crap this is my turn" kinda turn, and completely broad sides me.
I fly clear of the bike, still staring at his head which only now has turned from his side window to the windshield. We make that eye contact I was looking for just before I impact the pavement. Fortunately, pretty flat on my back. There is pain but I think I can get up. My left hand hurts the
most and I look to see my middle finger is a lumpy angular mess and shorter than it's neighbors. I think "that's not right, and it's just finger I need right now...".
I'll speed this up now (thanks for reading): He gets out and keeps saying:
"I'm so sorry, I just didn't see you". I know he didn't; that's the problem;
he just wasn't looking. I'm convinced I could have been in a dark grey car
and he still would have hit me. I was on a bright red scooter, with running lights, and a bright white helmet.
Also that he lives just down the road too. Great, then you should know how careful you need to be around here with the kids...
Police officer cites him (well that's good...), and I'm off to the ER.
Compression fracture of my L1 vertebrae, and a double dislocation of the middle finger. (If you're curious, yes, it hurts like hell).

The moral?
Pretend and always behave as if you are invisible, sometimes you are.
Also; a Full Face helmet saved me considerably more injury. That dent on his hood was indeed that lower front corner that statistics tell us is the most often impacted.

Pretty sure the scoot is totaled but I learn more about that latter.
Sorry for the long post but I believe we all learn from these unfortunate
experiences. Also, I have nothing better to do as I sit and wait for
the pain killers to start killing pain.
If I get bored, maybe later I'll write about what a strange experience
a 24 hour pharmacy can be.

Be safe everyone.

Glen
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

Ouch. Thanks for the reminder that they can't see you if they're not looking.
I hope you heal quickly. You can't really get back on your bike without a functioning middle finger.
louie

Post by louie »

oh glen, i'm sorry.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Oh my gosh D: How terrible :( On a brand new scoot no less. Well, I thought you were going to say you severed your finger, so I guess it could have been worse. o_O

I'm always afraid people will jerk into my lane like that. A truck was driving me crazy today, he was going slowly, but when I tried to pass he sped up! So I'd try to drop back...and he'd slow down o_O I finally passed him, but it took forever because he kept going my speed. The whole time my mind was racing "Is this guy frak with me?! At least that would mean he sees me...does he see me? OH PLEASE DON'T HIT ME. DON'T HIT ME. DON'T HIT ME" til I finally passed him. I actually honked my horn a bit to try to be more obvious. Maybe you could try that if you find yourself in a similar situation at some point. Though I always worry they will get startled and jerk over because of it....'cest la vie.
Lift heavy eat clean!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Dang.
You will need the drugs tomorrow. I suggest the 7.5 codeines 500 acetaminophen and whatever muscle relaxant they give you.
GDP

Post by GDP »

Well yeah, anything could ALWAYS have been worse.
So throbbing mess that it is, I'm glad I still indeed have this
finger.
Not sure the horn would have done much good in this instance.
I was tensed for an avoidance manuever and to be honest,
on a new scoot, driving it is rather reflexive and intuitive but
hitting the horn is not. On my RH I probably could (and likely would)
have gotten off a blast or two while still focusing on the tasks at hand.

Maybe as scooter riders we need to be a little more liberal with the horn.
"Hey I'm here, you're close to me". Better to be thought an obnoxious
scooter driver; at least you've been recognized and identified.

As an aside; I was in Nigeria a few months back and EVERYONE uses
their horn all the time.
Cars, mopeds, taxi vans. Traffic and intersections are INSANE
in Abuja and very dangerous. Every few seconds someone is hitting a horn for attention.
There must be a switch: Horn - Always on, or intermitent.
So nows it's just a dangerous free-for-all to the tune of a dozen horns.
GDP

Post by GDP »

You are so right lisalisa;
The doc even made a comment to that effect;
Don't base anything on how you feel tonight,
wait and see how you feel tomorrow.
Can't wait.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by Lostmycage »

Blur grey/black/orange, Reflective tape, high beams on, surrounded by 4-5 other cars with their headlights on as well.
Not in the least. Hit and run by a 4 door sedan going from right turn lane to a full on left turn in front of both me and about 4-5 other cars. 7:15 PM sun had set - late dusk - great visibility of any vehicle with headlights on.
No. My wife and myself as well as the *one* lady who stopped to see if we were OK :x all agreed that no matter what I was driving the f***tard would have hit us. We were riding in the right lane, I noticed the car's pattern was off when they stopped in their right turn. I put the bike in the 1st lane position - just in case- I would have gotten over to the other lane, but there was a car coming up that would have hit me there (thanks for following the speed limit). I minimized the damage as best I could, almost avoiding the car completely until it turned harder into me.
Minimal bumps and bruises. I was able to stop the bike (thanks to the Blur's incredible brakes!) and guide it to the ground. Both myself and my wife were geared up, now I'm glad I've always stuck with the gear.
5. What was the damage to the Bike?
It looks bad. I don't know yet, Scoot Richmond has it at the moment and they're working on a damage quote. The steerings off, a lot of cracked plastic. Brand new 2 day old impossible to find Blur windshield shattered. (That's a little alarming, nice knife sized and shapped chunks)
To be determined
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider
have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

Fully Licensed about 5 months and 3500+ miles
no
yes
20ish when I first noticed the odd pattern about 15 feet away, dead stopped when the assailant turned harder into me.
About 8-10 miles, we had just left Scoot Richmond.

Side note: Chelsea of Scoot Richmond came and sat with us while we waited for the police to show up (an hour later) and gave us a ride home as well as hauled the bike back to her shop. I can't say enough nice things about her or her crew. We're gifted to have such a supportive shop around.
[edited out extra spacing]
Last edited by Lostmycage on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

GDP wrote: As an aside; I was in Nigeria a few months back and EVERYONE uses
their horn all the time.
Cars, mopeds, taxi vans. Traffic and intersections are INSANE
in Abuja and very dangerous. Every few seconds someone is hitting a horn for attention.
There must be a switch: Horn - Always on, or intermitent.
So nows it's just a dangerous free-for-all to the tune of a dozen horns.
That seems to be the case in many other countries. We were joking in that in America, a horn means you are doing something wrong, you are about to hit someone or not moving at a green light. In Italy a horn means "I AM A CAR. I AM DRIVING." It was just as bad in Peru. I remember waiting to get picked up for a city tour at the hostel and wondering if they came in to get us...because if they just honked outside the door, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the rest of the traffic. It's just a flurry of horns honking. The other awesome thing is when they go -really- fast down winding Andean roads that are only one car wide. They just lay on the horn the whole time to let everyone know to get out of the way. This was made more exciting by our driver, that couldn't have been over 12 years old.
Lift heavy eat clean!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Lostmycage, GDP, glad you guys came out of it alive (if not completely well)! Heal and take care! I hope the scoots survived!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sad to report my dad was involved in a crash about 11 days ago, and has some pretty serious injuries. He is home from the hospital now and walking a little and eating small amounts of soft foods. He's doing pretty good now considering how bad he was last week, but has to go back for surgery on his wrist Monday... We're praying it goes well!

not a Buddy, my dad wrecked his Helix 250 (red).

No, some lady didn't see him / failed to yield, and he ran into the side of her car.

Only if the lady was paying attention.

Yes, 2 severed arteries in abdomen (now a foot-long stapled zipper down his stomach), and his left arm is broken in 4 places (he's left handed too). Other than that, numerous bumps and bruises, very small amount of road rash. Also found out he's allergic to morphine!!! NOT GOOD!

5. What was the damage to the scooter?

Front panel =GONE. mostly panel damage and the front fork is bent, we're waiting on the insurance adjuster to tell us what else.

Who knows, probably more than its worth.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

About 5 accumulated years of riding on & off, different bikes/scoots. Yes, he had an endorsement.

no.

yes.

About 30 mph.

Maybe 6 miles or so.

Here's one angle of the front scoot damage:

And a shot of the terrible burning rash that resulted from the morphine allergy(it covers his whole back too). I'm putting it as a link since it's kind of graphic:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144 ... zipper.jpg
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Wow Krusty, those are some serious injuries :( at least it sounds like his neck and spine are okay, hopefully the rest heal promptly.

::hugs::
Lift heavy eat clean!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, aside from the broken arm/wrist, he may have a broken rib or two and a bruised tail bone. You're right he's lucky there was no spinal damage.

Thanks for your condolances.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Krusty, So sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope all goes well with his injuries and recovery.

Does have someone so close to you suffer this kind of accident change your attitudes about riding at all?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ericalm wrote:Does have someone so close to you suffer this kind of accident change your attitudes about riding at all?
It makes me a lot more nervous at intersections! Really, I've always been a very cautious driver, never been in an accident (unless you count skidding on my scooter a couple times), I've never hit anything. Not what you call a "risk-taker". Anyways, its sad to see him so weak and in pain, he really enjoyed that scooter, now I'm not sure if he'll be getting another one. He's like 57 years old. I'm missing riding with him already... :(
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

KRUSTYburger wrote: 4. Was the rider injured?[/b]
Yes, 2 severed arteries in abdomen (now a foot-long stapled zipper down his stomach), and his left arm is broken in 4 places (he's left handed too). Other than that, numerous bumps and bruises, very small amount of road rash. Also found out he's allergic to morphine!!! NOT GOOD!
OMG, that happened to me too. When you are allergic to Morphine it makes you itch all over, and worse IT DOESN'T STOP THE PAIN!

I can handle a lot of pain, a tremendous amount as it turns out since I essentially went without pain relief for two days while having multiple surgeries. I kept saying it wasn't working and they kept increasing the dosage, until a doctor finally looked at the charts and listened, and noticed I was getting more morphine than a conscious person should be able to handle. Switched me to fentanyl which is the good stuff. He also prescribed benadryl to counteract the itchiness, but nobody told me, so I didn't ask for it. We all thought my itching was because of the heat and sweating.

Don't get me wrong, they performed miracles in saving my life and rebuilding me, In an earlier era I'd have lost an arm and leg. But hospitals ... ugh ... no place for sick people!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sad to report my dad was involved in a crash about 11 days ago, and has some pretty serious injuries. He is home from the hospital now and walking a little and eating small amounts of soft foods. He's doing pretty good now considering how bad he was last week, but has to go back for surgery on his wrist Monday... We're praying it goes well!
Keeping him and you (and your family) in prayer, KB! Keep us posted on how he is doing, please! Ride safe, little friend!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Wow, Bluemark, that is some serious stuff to overcome!

I just wanted to add that my dad is looking a lot better and finally had his arm/wrist surgery after 2 WEEKS of PAIN! The surgeon said at the "evaluation" yesterday that he would probably not have full use of his arm and the wrist would have lasting complications... but today he said it went better than he thought possible! One of the 4 breaks turned out to be cartilage, not bone, and the rest of the bones fit back together correctly without any problems! He has a metal plate installed and some bolts and stuff, so once it heals we hope it will not continue be a serious issue. Thanks everyone for keeping him in your prayers, apparently they are doing some good! :mrgreen:

Ride safe out there in the cold!
broke

Post by broke »

KRUSTYburger wrote:He has a metal plate installed and some bolts and stuff...
Cyborg Scooter Champion! :D

Seriously, I'm glad to hear that the surgery went better than expected, and sorry to hear about the crash and his pain.

Your dad is an experienced rider. Has he talked about riding again once he is healed? I wonder if there is a right way or a wrong way to deal with the aprehension to riding after a serious accident...?
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Took my first spill today after 6 months and 2220 miles of riding :oops: :cry:
Glad I didnt really get hurt, it could have been a lot worse :shock:

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed?
Buddy 50, black/silver 2007
Kinda rider error i guess, I hit some wet leaves while slowing down/turning and the brakes locked up the scoot slipped out under me. The scoot and i slid maybe 5-10 feet, and then ended up in a big ol' dirty leafy puddle. 5pm
3. Could the crash have been avoided?
Maybe, if I was going a little bit slower
A little yes, bruised/small deep cut on arm, scraped/bruised knee
Scratches on the chrome headlight ring, lower side panels (the silver ones) and broken exhaust heat shield
Dealer said it will probably be somewhere around 30-40$ for the heat shield and chrome headlight ring
7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Neither
No
Yes
At most 10-15, not quite sure
Less than a mile
broke

Post by broke »

jmsmith802 wrote:I hit some wet leaves while slowing down/turning and the brakes locked up the scoot slipped out under me.
The leaves around here are really bad too! I slipped the other day on just a few laying about. (and they are very heavy on many streets I am riding.) It will be weeks before they get cleaned up reasonably too.

Hope you heal quickly! Sorry to hear about the fall!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Krusty,

Glad to hear your dad is recovering!

JMSmith802,

Heal up! Glad you weren't hurt badly (so to speak). It seems some of the worst accidents are the ones at slow speeds.... :?
brandie722

Post by brandie722 »

Orange you glad you don't have an orange buddy??

Haha I'm just kidding!! But really, lots of replys (crashes) for this post have been Orange 125s....just a funny observation :P
louie

Post by louie »

brandie722 wrote:Orange you glad you don't have an orange buddy??

Haha I'm just kidding!! But really, lots of replys (crashes) for this post have been Orange 125s....just a funny observation :P
could be at one point orange was about the only color buddy you could get your hands on. at least that was the case when i bought mine in oct or 06.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

louie wrote:
brandie722 wrote:Orange you glad you don't have an orange buddy??

could be at one point orange was about the only color buddy you could get your hands on. at least that was the case when i bought mine in oct or 06.
Thats intersting, its been the hardest to get color over here. I happen to have the First '08 Tangerine Buddy in my state :)
louie

Post by louie »

i seem to remember a thread around here that suggested orange was to be had much easier than anything else, me included, including in my crash post :roll: .

i couldn't go for the pink option, heck i just started owning pink things at 30, (that's just me and i love you pinky's who can pull it off :wink: ).
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I really do love the pink. I just don't think my cynical side could work that pink every day.

So the only thing more humiliating than riding the pink scooter would be crashing her :oops:
GDP

Post by GDP »

Quick update on the "crash" (actually,I was hit by a van) I posted on Oct 15th.
So the driver of the van was cited for "failure to yield".
I was not cited nor summoned, but my legal council advised
that I go to his trial as a witness to help insure he would be convicted.
A quick web search revealed the court date and time.
He actually pleaded "not guilty" and tried to make it sound like I must have been speeding and he thinks I hit HIM. Ridiculous as ALL physical evidence proves he hit me while making an illegal left turn (just how would one strike the FRONT of a van with the SIDE of their scooter?).
I got to make my statement and he was found guilty.
I can't help but wonder what may have happened had I not gone to testify.
The officers statement supported my story, but he was not a witness so a lenient judge could perhaps have believed his attempt to blame the scooter driver and dismissed or reduced his charge.

Remember this lesson folks but of course I hope no one ever needs to use it...

Glen