New brand of windshields availible at Dealers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

New brand of windshields availible at Dealers

Post by jfrost2 »

My dad's been wanting a windshield since forever. (early summer)

He works close to metro scooter, he went there today. Oh hey they had prima windshields in stock, in person he claims they were thin and too skinny. Then Dave shows him the NEW NEW NEW "Slipstreamer" Fatty wide screen wind screen.

Me being the kind of person who tinkers with mechanics, and fun things, I took the challenge so many have had trouble with...Installing a windscreen properly.

Took me 10-15 minutes to do it. The thing comes mostly assembled already!

Our bikes, obviously his is the pamplona

Up close shot.

Closer shot

Look how there is nearly NO GAP from the headlight to the screen.

Side view of the fancy curve

What's holding it on there

Basic Installation Instructions:

Step 1: Buy the actual windshield

Step 2: Get out the S shaped piece the windshield hooks into.

Step 3: Take the 1 inch 8mm mirror post extension and screw it into the S shaped piece, and then into the mirror inserts on the handle bars

Step 4: Screw on the mirrors, make them perfect now or else you cant adjust the mirrors once the screen is on!

Step 5. Insert the screen, wiggle it in. Leave the S shaped piece SLIGHTLY loose, it helps fit the screen in better.

Step 6: Use the provided key to tighten the S shaped piece to hold the screen's bracket.

Step 7: What the heck you doing reading this? ride! you're done!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

me like! Where does the wind hit him? Cost?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Got a part number?
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Based on the pics above, I'd say it's the Scoot 66.

This place has it for $67!

Nice find, BTW. That's the first windscreen I've seen that interests me. Doubt I'll do it ... but the talk of a few extra mph is tempting.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Please let us know your Dad's opinion after riding with the new screen.
Clearly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I just don't care much for windscreens, but the bigger they get and the more "one-size-fits-all" they get, the more they scare me. It's probably fine, but ride very carefully until you're used to it and you're sure it's not going to negatively affect your handling at high speeds or in windy situations.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont like the looks of them on bikes either, but this one isnt as bad looking as others.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It *is* very nice-looking, an interesting and original shape, and it actually fits the style of the bike pretty well, just please be careful and make sure it doesn't affect handling.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Thanks! I just ordered it. Will update once it is installed.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Mirrors are near impossible to get right. I had to take the windshield off since the mirrors came loose. I didnt physically take the actual windshield off, but I had it hanging on one side, and the other side I rotated the mirrors tight. Took forever. Make sure you get the mirrors PERFECT before putting the actual windshield on, will save you hassle in the future.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

jfrost-any feed backback on where the wind hits? is it over the head?

Stability? quality?

Anyone's thoughts on Scoot 30 model? It is like a rectangle-funky.
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Pro ... click=8321

would this work on a Buddy-the bottom edge is strait???
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Not sure, I think the reason why my dealer got the 66 model is because of the curve for the headlight. It's a "universal" windshield, not made for any bike specifically. It fits perfect on the buddy, but I cant say if it will work or not for any other models from slip streamer.

Not much word on how it works, we went 1 mile before his mirrors came loose, we went home and fixed it for a long time, we just didnt bother heading back out.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

do you think the mirror being loose is a design flaw or has something to do with the install? ALthough I recall loose mirrors being a curse of my 06 screen
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Any wind screen will have the issue since the screen itself blocks the mirror from turning 360 degrees to tighten or loosen. The mirror wont be in the handle bar all the way, maybe 75% in there, the rest you will need a wrench to tighten the outer bolt and force that against the handle bar mount.

If you do it right the first time (and have lock tight so you never have to do it again) the install should take 15-20 minutes.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Oh that looks good. Can someone post a pic of the original wind screen as a comparison? Thanks for posting that!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
msdallas2008

Post by msdallas2008 »

I'm 6' 1" and I'm wondering what type of wind I'll still get with one of these? Should I look at getting the Scoot 50 because of its height?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Your an inch or two taller than my dad, he claims the wind flies over him, I dont think an inch or two difference will make much of a big difference for you. It should work fine.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O, man, the mirrors. I've been loitering at the scooter shop even more than usual lately because of my mirrors moving around when we had to disassemble the left switch. Despite my burly womanpower, I can't ever seem to generate enough strength to sufficiently tighten those suckers! I suppose I could purchase a torque wrench, or something.

Anyway, the slipstream 66 reminds me of my Prima mid-sized windshield for the 2006 Buddy. Despite my issues with the mirrors, I love that windshield. I truly believe that using it enables me to ride year-round.
Last edited by polianarchy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
msdallas2008

Post by msdallas2008 »

Thanks, I'm putting an order in today.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A torque wrench will not work on the mirrors. a Torque wrench would still require your own strength to tighten it, it just measures how much strength you put onto the bolt. Plus, you could just use a ratchet wrench, but that wont work either :P

You need a open ended 1/2 inch (if I remember right it was half) to tighten the bolts on the mirrors.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

A lot of torque should not be needed to tighten a mirror. You have to remember you're tightening into aluminum and too much torque will strip out the threads. A single cylinder engine generates a lot of vibration and that's probably whats shaking your mirror(s) loose. I suggest getting some threadlock at your local car parts store and using that. Get the "blue" type, not "red" because the latter is semi-permanent.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ok so I ordered it. The cuppini just never came in at my shop.

Now you all will have to help me install it virtually.
old and in the way

windscreen

Post by old and in the way »

I ordered a 66 model tonight for my Italia125,o7' .Hope it looks as good as your dad's!!!! what a nice kid to install it for him! Sounds easy and I got tired of waiting for Prima from Scooterworks....66$plus shiping,sounds like a deal :roll: I hope my Prima scooter cover will fit over it o.k. ,works well with top case and merrors so Ithink there is enough room! :? old an in the wind! :wink:
old and in the way

:oops: O! I forgot! I keep a small [6"] adjustable box end wrench in my tool kit under seat for adj. mirrors ,etc.!!!! O.a.n.t.w. :wink:
olhogrider

UPDATE

Post by olhogrider »

Took it for a 20 mile ride last night. No bad handling effects. Slightly more crosswind susceptibility. Very smooth at freeway speeds, low noise and no turbulence. In fact, this is about the nicest windshield I have ever ridden behind. Only downside is a decrease in top speed. The Vespa flyscreen added to top speed, but the Scoot 66 slowed me about 4 mph. Well worth it!

One of my mirrors did come loose, but I didn't want to use locktite (blue) until I knew I had everything where I wanted.
msdallas2008

Post by msdallas2008 »

I put mine on yesterday. It was an easy install, now I need to get some locktite as the mirrors keep loosening. I really notice the decrease in wind across my upper body. A worthy addition to Betsy.
old and in the way

My 66 is on the way!

Sounds great ! Hope my screen gets here soom! It's raning today as you know but yeasterday was great day for scooting...........Maybe ups can find me on Monday .The weather is sposed to get better after Tues. :roll: So sorry to hear about haed of Santa Cruze Vespa Club,sounds like be was the real thing and I'am sure he will be greatly missed!!!Don't know the details but sounds like tragic accident...I know hw.9 is scarry in a cage :roll: but the blind curves would be fun on a scoot at the proper speed......... :) .He had MANY years of experance so you never know what to expect sometimes !!! :roll: May he watch down over us from SCOOTER HEAVEN .................old an to short a stay
malakai

Problem with the installation of the 66 slip windshield.

Post by malakai »

I have a problem with the installation and I hope the originator of the procedure is still watching... I think I received a kit that is not perfectly fit for installation. Let me know you happy installers.

I am showing what I received. I try to match the pieces that are supposed to be used to hold the rod, but I either get the wrong screw or the wrong piece that is supposed to hold the rod. Probably a mismatch???

The larger screw on the top pic cannot be passed thru the windshield hole, because the hole with rubber rim is thinner than the width of the. screw.

Now, If take the 2 thingies with the bigger hole and screw seen on both pictures, one lets the rod go thru and the other doesn't. Though they seem to be the same, they aren't. Am I screwed or not?. I am supposing that I need 4 of these things that let the rod go thru or at least 2, probably the two on the top of the windshield.

I can't find a way to match these things to be able to hold the windshield.
Of course, I have no mechanical abilities and I bought this windshield from PowerSport around 2 months ago or more and never tried to install it until now, like today. It is the same windshield on the pictures on this thread.

And to top this, I now fund and odd looking thingy with part of a screw inside. Picture #3, please!
Attachments
On this image I show 4 thingies that  do not let the rod go thru, it stops before getting to the inner spacing; three of them  the same, with same screw, the  other has a bigger hole and wider screw.
On this image I show 4 thingies that do not let the rod go thru, it stops before getting to the inner spacing; three of them the same, with same screw, the other has a bigger hole and wider screw.
Windshield #2.JPG (70.06 KiB) Viewed 995 times
This image shows 2  thingies that let the rod go thru but the screws and threads are different.
This image shows 2 thingies that let the rod go thru but the screws and threads are different.
Windshield #1.JPG (69.35 KiB) Viewed 995 times
I had not seen this. All the screws are intact, so I did not brake one. This is the only one with a protruding  part in that space. The side it is coming from,  has no opening big enough for a screw that size.
I had not seen this. All the screws are intact, so I did not brake one. This is the only one with a protruding part in that space. The side it is coming from, has no opening big enough for a screw that size.
winshield 3.JPG (50.27 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Last edited by malakai on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White, 2009 125 Buddy !
easy

Post by easy »

looks like a set screw , does it have allen head screw.